• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IMDB Top 250 films

This'll be +1 very soon as I've "acquired" Mary & Max which I'm really looking forward to :happy:

137 but Im sure there are some old films Ive seen that dont remember so probably a few more.

151 (and own another 20 or so that I'll get round to soon-ish). Bit disappointed with that.

I'd take Top Gun over at least half of the films on that list.
The list is a real 'critics choice' type of affair and is full of chod IMHO.

Not true, it's the IMDB users who vote for it. I've never seen Top Gun and have absolutely no intention of doing so. Cruise really has been the biggest amount of drivel ever in history, bar a few noteable exceptions.

Not true, it's the IMDB users who vote for it. I've never seen Top Gun and have absolutely no intention of doing so.
Regardless of who voted for it, it's a typical critics list. Maybe IMDB regulars are all po-faced wannabe movie critics.
And you're missing out big style by dismissing Top Gun!

Not true, it's the IMDB users who vote for it. I've never seen Top Gun and have absolutely no intention of doing so. Cruise really has been the biggest amount of drivel ever in history, bar a few noteable exceptions.

Care to list?

Mission Impossibles?
Collateral?
Minority Report?

Care to list?

Mission Impossibles?
Collateral?
Minority Report?

Not seen MI films or Collateral as I generally don't do action films (which is most of his repetoire)

So:

Minority Report.
Magnolia (without a doubt his best work)
Tropic Thunder (though a bit part)
Interview with the Vampire
Born on the 4th July
Rain Man
Legend.

I make that 6 1/2 out of 39 films (according to IMDB)

Not seen MI films or Collateral as I generally don't do action films (which is most of his repetoire)

So:

Minority Report.
Born on the 4th July
Rain Man
Legend.

But if you don't do action films, can we assume you've only seen 12-15 of those 39.

I'm not trying to wind you up, but I find quite a few who say they hate Tom Cruise films, but are then able to say, but I really like any number of those you listed plus top gun, Jerry Maguire, Cocktail, War of the Worlds, etc.

I think it's his personal lifestyle that people actually dislike rather than the films he has been in.

20 of his films have grossed over $200M worldwide - not bad.

But if you don't do action films, can we assume you've only seen 12-15 of those 39.

I'm not trying to wind you up, but I find quite a few who say they hate Tom Cruise films, but are then able to say, but I really like any number of those you listed plus top gun, Jerry Maguire, Cocktail, War of the Worlds, etc.

I think it's his personal lifestyle that people actually dislike rather than the films he has been in.

20 of his films have grossed over $200M worldwide - not bad.

The amount of money a film takes has nothing to do with it's quality, otherwise Titanic or Avatar would be the greatest films ever made. I don't dislike him at all, his Scientology thing to be is utterly fascinating how insane it all is but the films he makes are not my cup of tea, and I know a good few of them have been roundly slated (Jack Reacher/Knight & Day etc).

And you're right, I've seen 12 out of the 39 IIRC.

BTW, call me sad, but his average Rotten Tomatoes percentage score is 49%

So:

Minority Report.
Born on the 4th July
Rain Man
Legend.

Only seen 4/6 (not MR or Legend).Would agree about Magnolia but he was also excellent in Rainman.

Back