• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
I'm thinking of getting an iPod soon - anyone got any info on them from experience please?

* Normal or mini (want 20gb min)

* Where is the best place to get one for the best deal - what am I looking at paying?

* Docking station or not?

* Battery life?

* Can I store *any* music on it - sure i heard a while ago it blocks some MP3's if they are copy protected - or you cannot store the new format of CD's with the protection on.

* Is there a better alternative? Though my heart is really set on the iPod now!

Cheers, Paul

I've not got one but Lewis Hunt was showing me his iPOD and it looked the nuts.

If I was into music enough I'd have one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 16 2004,10:00)]I'm thinking of getting an iPod soon - anyone got any info on them from experience please?

* Normal or mini (want 20gb min)

* Where is the best place to get one for the best deal - what am I looking at paying?

* Docking station or not?

* Battery life?

* Can I store *any* music on it - sure i heard a while ago it blocks some MP3's if they are copy protected - or you cannot store the new format of CD's with the protection on.

* Is there a better alternative? Though my heart is really set on the iPod now!

Cheers, Paul
* Get as much memory as you can afford, it's amazing how quickly you start to fill it up.
* I got mine in the US earlier this year where the exchange rate meant a good deal. If you or someone you know is going there that may well be an option. Otherwise the price seems to be pretty much standard across stores in the UK.
* My docking station came with the package, well worth having to make your life easier when connecting to your PC/Mac and also a good way of playing the iPod through your stereo.
* Battery life is around 4 hours, plenty for a two days worth of commuting use for me and easy to charge each night if neccesary. You can buy a battery pack for when you want to use it for longer, flights etc.
* Just MP3s, not WMA's (Windows file). Some CDs have copy protection but I've found that having the latest update of iTunes on your computer (download updates free from the Apple website) means you keep a step ahead of the record companies. For instance when I first got the Kings Of Leon CD the copy protection meant I couldn't rip it to iTunes, I downloaded the latest version and it worked fine.
* There are alternatives but I wouldn't swap my iPod for any of them!

Cool, cheers RM... that's pushed me in the right direction
biggrin.gif

I-Pods are quality if you like music. My advice is to definitely get one and get as much memory as you can (the mini I pod can only store 1000 songs)!!!!

One advantage of getting your iPod in the US is that you can get iTrip, which you can't buy in the UK as a result of radio broadcasting laws.

Basically, the iTrip is a tiny FM broadcast transmitter which sits on top of your iPod.  I get in my car (or anyone's car), find a blank frequency (not easy in London, although 104.2 FM seems to be working for me at the mo) and then tune my iPod + iTrip to 104.2 FM.  Then... hey presto, my iPod broacasts through my car radio.

So, for example, I was on a stag night last weekend, and for part of the evening we were in a Limo.  We wanted a bit of a late 80s / early 90s retro play-list for the limo, all the songs we loved at school/uni (M/A/R/R/S, KLF, Shamen, Snap, KWS, Opus III, Stereo MCs etc.).

Rather than cart arse-loads of CDs around, I simply downloaded / ripped songs off my CDs, put them all on the iPod, and then sat by the radio... and there we had the play-list, all on my iPod, and broadcasting through the radio.

Basically, it's the mutt's nuts.

To answer your questions:

*I decided to go for 20GB, which means proper big iPod, not iPod mini.  Whilst I'm sure you can fill it with songs, 20GB = 5,000 tracks.  I'm sure I'll never have that many songs on it at any one time!

*I got mine in the US.  iPod plus iTrip came out at about £250, IIRC... not a massive saving over UK prices, except of course you can't get the iTrip in the UK.

*If you get the 20GB model, the docking station comes free.  It's worth it - makes connecting to your computer a lot easier.

*Battery life... not great when using iTrip, a couple of hours tops.  Better when just using headphones.

*I've yet to find a CD that my iTunes (on the computer) wouldn't rip.  As for downloading tracks... other than the fact that Kazaa Lite ++ seems to have plenty of bogus tracks on there, I've not had any trouble.

*Perhaps.  But I can't think of one.  It looks fantastic, and as is always the way with Apple... it's so user-friendly, it's almost intuitive.  Sometimes I buy technology because I'm seduced by it, but then end up under-using it (my Mini-Disc player is a classic example of that).  There are no such problems with my iPod...

smile.gif

But if you can, get iTrip... I think it revolutionises the iPod.  It turns a posh walkman into a totally user-friendly walking library of your entire CD collection, and allows you to play it through any FM radio you can find.  And that, quite simply, rocks!

biggrin.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 16 2004,12:25)]One advantage of getting your iPod in the US is that you can get iTrip, which you can't buy in the UK as a result of radio broadcasting laws.

Basically, the iTrip is a tiny FM broadcast transmitter which sits on top of your iPod.  I get in my car (or anyone's car), find a blank frequency (not easy in London, although 104.2 FM seems to be working for me at the mo) and then tune my iPod + iTrip to 104.2 FM.  Then... hey presto, my iPod broacasts through my car radio.

So, for example, I was on a stag night last weekend, and for part of the evening we were in a Limo.  We wanted a bit of a late 80s / early 90s retro play-list for the limo, all the songs we loved at school/uni (M/A/R/R/S, KLF, Shamen, Snap, KWS, Opus III, Stereo MCs etc.).

Rather than cart arse-loads of CDs around, I simply downloaded / ripped songs off my CDs, put them all on the iPod, and then sat by the radio... and there we had the play-list, all on my iPod, and broadcasting through the radio.

Basically, it's the mutt's nuts.

To answer your questions:

*I decided to go for 20GB, which means proper big iPod, not iPod mini.  Whilst I'm sure you can fill it with songs, 20GB = 5,000 tracks.  I'm sure I'll never have that many songs on it at any one time!

*I got mine in the US.  iPod plus iTrip came out at about £250, IIRC... not a massive saving over UK prices, except of course you can't get the iTrip in the UK.

*If you get the 20GB model, the docking station comes free.  It's worth it - makes connecting to your computer a lot easier.

*Battery life... not great when using iTrip, a couple of hours tops.  Better when just using headphones.

*I've yet to find a CD that my iTunes (on the computer) wouldn't rip.  As for downloading tracks... other than the fact that Kazaa Lite ++ seems to have plenty of bogus tracks on there, I've not had any trouble.

*Perhaps.  But I can't think of one.  It looks fantastic, and as is always the way with Apple... it's so user-friendly, it's almost intuitive.  Sometimes I buy technology because I'm seduced by it, but then end up under-using it (my Mini-Disc player is a classic example of that).  There are no such problems with my iPod...

smile.gif

But if you can, get iTrip... I think it revolutionises the iPod.  It turns a posh walkman into a totally user-friendly walking library of your entire CD collection, and allows you to play it through any FM radio you can find.  And that, quite simply, rocks!

biggrin.gif

Matt
Matt

Will have to invest in an iTrip on my next trip stateside. I play my iPod in the car but use one of those leads that connects to your cassette player (I got it for my mini-disc 'back in the day'). How long is the range? For example I would like to use it for a party at home, have a radio in each room and even the garden tuned to the frequency and have music everywhere!

I know it is a bit 'toys for the boys (and girls)' but I really do get so much use from my iPod and seriously find it hard to imagine that I ever survived without one - which is sad I know. For a music obsessive like myself it really is an essential piece of kit, sometimes I just have a whim to listen to an obscure Spiritualized b-side on the C2C in the morning and at the spin of a wheel I now can!

RM

A lot of the iTrip's range is determined by:

*intereference
*power

So, if the batteries are full, and you haven't got loads of pirate radio stations competing, then you can get a decent signal for 20-ish feet, I guess. It probably doesn't go much further than that, though.

In London, the interference issue is a fuggin' nightmare. I love the multi-culturalism and diversity of London... but does each bloomin' neighbourhood need its own pirate radio station?!

wow.gif
rock.gif

Best signal I get is when I'm in the Rotherhithe tunnel... it's a slightly weird experience having a crystal clear sound on FM Stereo in the middle of a tunnel!

laugh.gif

Matt

Was just about to say the I-River. far superior sound qaulity , battery life , more audio technologies , optical in and out !!!

And from the states propably sub £200 !

I think these iPod gizmos are just a fad.

I have got a Lloytron walkman which I purchased from Stirling house in the late 1980's and it is still going strong.

It has a built in radio reciever so I can listen the the football updates during half time at Roots hall.

The only problem with it is that you have to turn the tape over and use FF to rewind the tape but I have no regrets.

I've got a 40GB Creative Zen, which although not as good to look at as the Ipod, is a cracking bit of kit (also, it can handle WMA files) The 30GB model is only 160 quid from Amazon so you're looking at a huge saving.

The I-River is a lovely machine as well.

As for the ITrip, there are sellers on Amazon who do sell them in the UK, or if you want to pick up an alternative (an uglier version, but will work for non Ipod people) you could try Special Reserve  Have to agree with Matt though, can be a right pain in the arse finding a clear frequency, seem to find a large amount of drum and bass, and people shouting Big Up at the top of their voices to people named Peanut or something, and they keep going on about Bread Bins...

The Ipod is great, and does everything you need, but you really are paying for the looks and name, rather than the functionality, oh, and the others don't come with Solitaire

OK, prob gonna go for the iPod - BUT... cannot find one anywhere! Looks like stocks are low - even Apple's UK site says 1-2 weeks and thats the best I've seen.

Anyone know what stores may stock them - could swing by Notts tomorrow before the game...

(if you see someone at Meadow Lane with white ear-phones tomorrow, chances are I was in luck!!
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 17 2004,11:23)]OK, prob gonna go for the iPod - BUT... cannot find one anywhere! Looks like stocks are low - even Apple's UK site says 1-2 weeks and thats the best I've seen.

Anyone know what stores may stock them - could swing by Notts tomorrow before the game...

(if you see someone at Meadow Lane with white ear-phones tomorrow, chances are I was in luck!!
biggrin.gif
)
Ah, but until you get it hooked up to a PC and actually put some music on it you'll be listening to silence!

tounge.gif

tounge.gif
sh*t - good point!!! DOH!

Looking like EBay is my only option at the moment anyway. I phoned an Apple outlet in Nottingham...

ME: "Hi, have you got any iPods in stock?"

THEM: "Muhahahahahahahahaahha.... sorry... Muhahahahahaha...No..."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 17 2004,13:41)]
tounge.gif
sh*t - good point!!! DOH!

Looking like EBay is my only option at the moment anyway. I phoned an Apple outlet in Nottingham...

ME: "Hi, have you got any iPods in stock?"

THEM: "Muhahahahahahahahaahha.... sorry... Muhahahahahaha...No..."
I'm over in the US at the moment and the shops are full of them.

Got one! 20gb version - the Apple shop in Nottingham had a couple left and the guy said they'd been flying out the door... anyway, just transfering my music over (got a docking station as well) and it seems to be going ok!

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I made the right choice!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 20 2004,10:17)]Got one! 20gb version - the Apple shop in Nottingham had a couple left and the guy said they'd been flying out the door... anyway, just transfering my music over (got a docking station as well) and it seems to be going ok!

Thanks for all your help guys, I think I made the right choice!
biggrin.gif
Nah ya didnt Iriver all the way , its a music box not a fashion accessory
tounge.gif

Back