• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is the one sentence that I continually see posted on here, and I'm afraid it completely infuriates me!!

Strikers are PAID to score goals, not hold the ball up well and have a nice touch here and there - if he's not scoring - change him!!

I'm affraid you will be continually infuriated then. That's what he offers to the team, I bet he has contributed to most of our goals this season.

Not all strikers are paid to score goals, and Blair isn't really a striker he is the link up man we need him in the side, that's the end really, and that is also why he is continually given above a mark of 7 by a lot of people on here, and also why he is clapped off whenever substituted.

he does not have goals in his locker, therefore imho we should have looked at our other strikers a lot more than we have this season - and because we haven't, we are struggling.

We aren't struggling though?

I appreciate your point but it's quite similar to saying 'Barker shouldn't play because he doesn't cross the ball in enough' that's not his job!

Last edited:
Listen when Blair has played well I have applauded him off the park given him the appropriate points, same as I do for all players.

I just believe that having a striker that does not score goals is a waste of space - especially when we play 442 most games!

And apart from Barry Corr, a flurry from Granty and a few in a short space of time by Billy we have not had another striker hitting the back of the net on a regular basis - this is what we are missing.

Are you all saying that you would be happy with Barry Corr up front with Blair partnering for the rest of the season? Just not for me I'm afraid.

OBD - I believe Blair has two assists this season.

Listen when Blair has played well I have applauded him off the park given him the appropriate points, same as I do for all players.

I just believe that having a striker that does not score goals is a waste of space - especially when we play 442 most games!

And apart from Barry Corr, a flurry from Granty and a few in a short space of time by Billy we have not had another striker hitting the back of the net on a regular basis - this is what we are missing.

Are you all saying that you would be happy with Barry Corr up front with Blair partnering for the rest of the season? Just not for me I'm afraid.

Only 2? really?

I think that Blair and Barry upfront is a more of an away from home front line. In recent home games we've bashed three upfront and it has worked (apart from Saturday).

I do think that we are just one player upfront off a massive run of wins.
We where such a different side when Bilel played upfront, the pace just ruined the oppositions defensive line.
I do like Barry and that but he does not look fully fit to me, and that affects Blair's game.

EDIT - It is actually 3 assists for Blair, that surprises me a lot, but he has always been involved in a lot of goals this season, can't view those stats though! Anyway I am fed up of defending Blair.

Last edited:
Scoring goals hasn't really been a problem? Maybe not for Corr but for Blair it's one hell of a problem!

It's not about individuals - it's about the collective performance of the team.

Our biggest problem is defence? - are you serious, we have one of the best defences in the league!

See my post above - the stats don't back you up.

Strikers role is terribly simplistic - yes it is - strikers = goals, end of. If I was in charge of the England team I would be picking strikers who score goals, not strikers who hold the ball up nicely!

You betray your ignorance with this statement. When Sturrock got Plymouth Argyll promoted from this division with a record 102 points, none of the strikers scored more than 9 goals (Blair has 5 ATM). In fact, the highest scorer was Graham Coughlan with 11! I don't think that any of the Plymouth fans would have been unduly worried about that. We need to get promoted from this division. Who scores the goals is irrelevant.

Your hatred of any striker other than Blair is simply dumbfounding - you just cannot have a single word written against the man - I will ask you again - is he a family member?

Back to this tired theme. Yes, I don't like the anti-Blair witch hunt but if you read my other posts you will see that I have criticised him when he has played poorly. You will also see that I have praised Corr many times, although I recognise that he had a poor game on Saturday. I have expressed my high opinion of Crawford who is already a workable impact sub and will become much more. True, I don't rate Paterson much but I am hardly alone there. I preferred Spencer but he clearly had an attitude problem. When you disagree with posters, try to use reasoned argument rather than emotional claptrap.

It's not about individuals - it's about the collective performance of the team.

See my post above - the stats don't back you up.

You betray your ignorance with this statement. When Sturrock got Plymouth Argyll promoted from this division with a record 102 points, none of the strikers scored more than 9 goals (Blair has 5 ATM). In fact, the highest scorer was Graham Coughlan with 11! I don't think that any of the Plymouth fans would have been unduly worried about that. We need to get promoted from this division. Who scores the goals is irrelevant.

Back to this tired theme. Yes, I don't like the anti-Blair witch hunt but if you read my other posts you will see that I have criticised him when he has played poorly. You will also see that I have praised Corr many times, although I recognise that he had a poor game on Saturday. I have expressed my high opinion of Crawford who is already a workable impact sub and will become much more. True, I don't rate Paterson much but I am hardly alone there. I preferred Spencer but he clearly had an attitude problem. When you disagree with posters, try to use reasoned argument rather than emotional claptrap.

I see my internet stalker just can't leave it alone!

The bottom line is I DON'T LIKE THE CORR/STURROCK partnership - sorry if you do - i don't, nothing will change that, no matter what statistics and claptrap you continually pour out.

TravellingBlue isn't a fan of statistics, hence why I don't usually bother pointing out anymore that his buddy Pato has a far worse league goalscoring record than Blair Sturrock has for us. Two goals in 27 games, half of them starts. And one of those goals was due to a horrific goalkeeping error.

If strikers can only be judged on goals scored, and if Blair Sturrock is truly Southern Conference standard then Matt Paterson must be Ryman League.

:winking:

No one had a go at Goater when he was here he did not get a hat full of goals but he linked up play made goals and scored a few. Corr has scored double figures already so give him a chance

The assists thing is a bit of a grey area because it only refers to direct assists. For example, in the 2-1 win at Rotherham Ryan Hall's goal is technically a Clohessy assist but Blair brought the ball down and laid it off in the first place, which was still an integral role in the goal. I've also watched some recent highlights and in the Oxford win Blair linked up with Corr, who laid it off for Hall to score and against Macclesfield Blair was instrumental in goals two and four.

Overall I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with strikers at the moment because the team as a whole have been scoring bucketloads recently and winning games, and that's ultimately what counts. This isn't netball, where only one team member is allowed to score. Obviously if the goals do dry up then that's an area we should assess. However, I should reiterate that both Corr and Blair need a rest so we may well see a different front two on Saturday anyway.

Last edited:
I'm affraid you will be continually infuriated then. That's what he offers to the team, I bet he has contributed to most of our goals this season.

Not all strikers are paid to score goals, and Blair isn't really a striker he is the link up man we need him in the side, that's the end really, and that is also why he is continually given above a mark of 7 by a lot of people on here, and also why he is clapped off whenever substituted.

I appreciate your point but it's quite similar to saying 'Barker shouldn't play because he doesn't cross the ball in enough' that's not his job!

I see the contribution thing levelled at Blair quite a lot in respect of our team goals, (and this may be a mix of my hazy memory going through age) but I can't really recall many times when he actually has been directly involved in a creating a goal for a colleague, and I've only missed a few games. But I don't think your claim sticks really.

There was the cross at Hereford for Corr's opener, the lay off for Clohessy's cross to Hall away to Rotherham, the deflected cross against Oxford recently and the flick on for Hall's goal in the 4-1 win over Macc's. That's four assists, or involvment in build up to goals in what 25/30 appearances. Like I said, I may have missed one or two through non-attendence or forgetfullness, but considering this is meant to be his main asset, as you and a few others claim, it doesn't seem a lot.

I'm not anti-Blair, I just don't feel he justifies being picked every week. The likes of Paterson should be involved more as should Crawford, we have four different strikers and these should be utilised to benefit from the four different skill sets they bring to the squad dependent on who the opposition is.

I see the contribution thing levelled at Blair quite a lot in respect of our team goals, (and this may be a mix of my hazy memory going through age) but I can't really recall many times when he actually has been directly involved in a creating a goal for a colleague, and I've only missed a few games. But I don't think your claim sticks really.

There was the cross at Hereford for Corr's opener, the lay off for Clohessy's cross to Hall away to Rotherham, the deflected cross against Oxford recently and the flick on for Hall's goal in the 4-1 win over Macc's. That's four assists, or involvment in build up to goals in what 25/30 appearances. Like I said, I may have missed one or two through non-attendence or forgetfullness, but considering this is meant to be his main asset, as you and a few others claim, it doesn't seem a lot.

I'm not anti-Blair, I just don't feel he justifies being picked every week. The likes of Paterson should be involved more as should Crawford, we have four different strikers and these should be utilised to benefit from the four different skill sets they bring to the squad dependent on who the opposition is.

I'm interested to find out if I'm right about Blair's contribution to our goals so I will try looking through our game highlights and check it out!

I think Barry and Blair may both be left out on Saturday, if not Blair definitely Barry!

I'm interested to find out if I'm right about Blair's contribution to our goals so I will try looking through our game highlights and check it out!

I think Barry and Blair may both be left out on Saturday, if not Blair definitely Barry!

It's your split personality kicking in again.:winking:

Blair has started virtually every game because of the complete gashness of our other striking options. Pato has been useless everytime ive seen him, the loan strikers were all absolute guff, and young Crawford is eager but lacks any kind of football brain. Id be up for seeing this 7ft guy whos banging them in for the reserves given a go for a couple of games. But we do need a better option off the bench. Saturdays game there was no one, and when you see that dreaded number 17 going up on the board you know youre admitting defeat.

Whether you are a Corr fan or not is an academic point. Its whether or not we can play better as a team without the big target type, which would force us to play less hoofball and keep it on the deck. I for one am convinced we will do better keeping the ball down. This is league two and from what I have seen the defenders are not up to much but we play into their hands game after game putting the ball up high and long. As for Blair, a player I personally rate, I feel for sure we see the best of him when we keep the ball down and if we played more to his style then we would win more games. I am not suggesting he would finish more but his link up play will create many more goals for the midfield et al.

Back