• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Only time will tell if his agent has made the right decision.

Personally I tend to agree with the majority who feels he should stay another year to get more experience at this level.

It is a shame that the only loyalty an agent sees are pound notes.

What makes people think he's going to a higher division club?

I reckon he'll sign on for another club in our division.

It's all well and good saying he should stay because he needs more first team football but he's only started half the matches this season and has been dropped at least twice since January. I think he's moving to get more first team football.

Its a damn sight more than the majority of working people. Who's to say he wouldn't earn more in a few years time.

Oh, and heaven forbid after 10 years of a luxury lifestyle and 15 hour week he'd gave to go and get a "normal" job.

My idea of a luxury lifestyle would involve being one when I could: eat whatever I liked; drink on a Friday night; go on holiday during the dark, cold winter months, not have to work Christmas day; have long term security etc etc

Nicky Bailey, unpleasant as he is/was, went on to play almost 200 matches in the Championship after he left and I'm sure he doesn't regret his move.

Sawyer never showed the promise that Payne clearly has and I'm sure that Payne will not finish up a bit part player for Chelmsford.

If Nicky Bailey was a failure what does that make Southend United? Because he's gone 30 and isn't this the first season that he'll have been playing below us since leaving us?

It's all well and good saying he should stay because he needs more first team football but he's only started half the matches this season and has been dropped at least twice since January. I think he's moving to get more first team football.

You could be right but I would be surprised. I doubt he would want to move elsewhere in the same division (he genuinely likes being here of that I am sure). I suspect it's once again the agent trotting out the 'you need to play at the highest level you can'. I suspect a Championship Club will take a punt- I also fear he won't start more than 10 games next season.

Anyhow, we won't have to wait too long- and there is a small chance I guess that when the 'real' options are presented to Jack in terms of who is actually offering a contract and prepared to make an offer/go to tribunal (rather than agent's promises) he might still say 'you know what I think another year at southend is probably the best option'. Unlikely but we have seen it before.

Soccerbase has Jack making 34 appearances this season, Unless he remains at this level I cant see him bettering that next season.
Who in the Championship would go for him and put him straight into the first team. I can only see it being a team who would probably end up in a relegation battle.
If he wants to stay local and get a pay rise, Charlton or Millwall could be an option

Soccerbase has Jack making 34 appearances this season, Unless he remains at this level I cant see him bettering that next season.
Who in the Championship would go for him and put him straight into the first team. I can only see it being a team who would probably end up in a relegation battle.
If he wants to stay local and get a pay rise, Charlton or Millwall could be an option

Let's say that Payney does move to a Championship side .......... then he gets to play during the pre-season friendlies and gets a chance to show what he can do, doesn't he?

He'll go to Charlton I reckon. They should go up next season as well.

Yeah, have said much the same thing. They have to offload some players and replace them, Jack would be relatively cheap for them still. The added attraction for him is being from Greater London, it will be closer.

Watching the goals of the season highlights earlier, Payne was involved in most if not all goals, to lose him would be a major loss, although I don't think you can disagree with a player for wanting to play at the highest level he possibly can.
Regardless of whether or not we think he is good enough.
Alhough I thought jack bridge came on looked like a very similar player keep him in and around the first team certainly for next season.

Let's say that Payney does move to a Championship side .......... then he gets to play during the pre-season friendlies and gets a chance to show what he can do, doesn't he?

Or gives the ball away a lot and end up in the Development side- he will have to earn the shirt (again). That might be instant and happy days, or harder than he would imagine. The issue at a higher level will be that a high premium is on two parts of the game that is work in progress for Jack- retaining possession & winning the ball back if you lose it.

If he goes to a higher level I really hope he is a great success (not least because inevitably there will be significant add ons if it goes to tribunal). But it will be risky as I think there is a consensus that this is coming a year or so early. Clubs in the top two tiers take a punt on many many players as they can afford to- the majority don't make it. Just the hard reality.

If Jack goes we'll be fine. Moussa is a more than capable replacement for him, if not better.

Okay, he isn't fit at the moment. But at the same time, he isn't in the shop window either...

With regards to both Dan and Jack, We're always going to be in the middle of the food chain, so I'm not disappointed. There is a sense of dejavu with Jack and Kane. But if that happens, nobody will regret it more than Jack.

We talked about the clubs requirement policy last week, if you ask Ricky Duncan what the youth policy is he'll tell you if the club can make a profit by producing players, it will, to be sustainable. It may not be as much as it could've been, but hopefully there's a lesson learnt...

I don't post too often, but when I do it always seems to be about the youth, because I'm extremely happy with what's happening. The club are doing something right here. Now, we have Ted and Jack [Bridge], a new crop to get behind. It's not all doom and gloom.

I'd say Peterborough would be the ideal move for Payne, from a football perspective. They have a track record of showing faith with young players, they tend to play attractive, attacking football and they have in the past built teams around a 'Number 10' (I'm thinking Lee Tomlin who played much shorter than his 5'11 height if that makes sense).

Plus the fans already have the chants and the shirts already from two seasons with the other Jack Payne.

I tend to agree with those who question how many games he'll get at most clubs. Phil Brown has handled him tremendously and I don't think he'll get that at many other clubs.

Clubs in the top two tiers take a punt on many many players as they can afford to- the majority don't make it. Just the hard reality.

Jack will be 22 early next season. i think that's too old to be taken as a 'punt'. If he is signed by anyone in the top two divisions it has to be as a candidate to start in that first year.

My idea of a luxury lifestyle would involve being one when I could: eat whatever I liked; drink on a Friday night; go on holiday during the dark, cold winter months, not have to work Christmas day; have long term security etc etc

If Nicky Bailey was a failure what does that make Southend United? Because he's gone 30 and isn't this the first season that he'll have been playing below us since leaving us?

At the game on Saturday, there was a Rotherham scout behind me, who was there specifically to see Jack Payne (luckily he's based in the south, so it wasn't as long a wasted journey as it could have been); he said there was at least two other Championship sides that were interested in Payne though.

He had also heard the Bentley pre-contract agreement with Rangers rumour, but it was only a rumour.

He thought our best player was Barnett, and Cullen for Bradford (he'd previously worked for Bradford so had a decent knowledge on them anyway) and was surprised to see Mooney being played as an out and out striker, as opposed to in the hole as he did when scoring so many for Orient.

Payne is over-rated. First half of the season, he was a bit part player, and we did well. Put him in the team, and the 2nd half of the season has been utter dross.

Or it could be that we stopped playing Piggott.

Although I find it painful talking about this subject - I think he will go Dutch.......

Payne over-rated I despair I truly despair. The number of other teams we have played who said he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch this season. Somebody on the Sheff Utd fan message board even suggested building a team around him.

No way is he overrated and will be a massive loss. To suggest an injured Moussa will be the answer is optimistic in the extreme.

As long as we get a reasonable fee for him then fine, bye bye & good luck. Its disappointing as we'd all like to think another year would be good for all concerned, but he obviously can't wait to get away so let him go. Can't help but feel he believes his own publicity a bit too much, with the whole Mini Messi thing. To be honest he's decent but Mahrez he aint. Good some days but too easily pushed off the ball. Lower half Championship standard at best. As others have said obviously his agent looking to earn a few quid out of what will probably be a sideways move for JP.

Payne over-rated I despair I truly despair. The number of other teams we have played who said he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch this season. Somebody on the Sheff Utd fan message board even suggested building a team around him.

No way is he overrated and will be a massive loss. To suggest an injured Moussa will be the answer is optimistic in the extreme.

He is a good player now, but he was far from the complete article first half of the season. Was often a passenger in games and made little impact far too often.

He however grew into his role as the season went on and now is the player he showed glimpses of being.

The only player we have who got the crowd on their feet. Brown needs a serious overhaul of the midfield and attack. Too many similar functional players (Deegan, Atkinson, Timlin) and not enough flair. Jack has been involved or scored a lot of goals and at times has been the only threat going forward.

The only player we have who got the crowd on their feet. Brown needs a serious overhaul of the midfield and attack. Too many similar functional players (Deegan, Atkinson, Timlin) and not enough flair. Jack has been involved or scored a lot of goals and at times has been the only threat going forward.

Brown isn't interested in flair. He wants solid midfielders who can pass the ball about from side to side without having a killer ball in their locker :smile:

Back