• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think you are missing the point - deliberately or otherwise
the point being made is that the course of action they are taking means that they are more likely to be in league one of four years time that if they had continued to play for us for another year - getting regular football and developing.

It has nothing to do with agreeing,don't be so childish, it has everything to do with reading and understanding other people's posts which you still haven't grasped.

You'll have to explain in simple terms what you mean then. Please don't get cross with me if I don't understand after all I am childish so cut me some slack.

Last edited:
There are a few sides to this story, Brown didn't play Jack at the beginning of the season and then brought him into the side. Once in the starting 11, Jack showed very quickly how good a player he is. Has this played a part in his thinking? I.e- the managers not picker me, when he has I've shown my quality, Il now make him regret leaving me out the team.

Jack has the potential to be worshipped at the club, surely a wage of £2,000 a week is enough to squirrel some away for retirement and stay loyal to a club?

When you look at the squad, Brown could but surely wont build the team around the spine of Bentley, Coker, Payne and Barnett. I'm aware Coker isn't technically a member of the spine as such but those 4 IMO are the top 4 players at the club. Surely 2 of those 4 should be being and should have been pursued day after day by the club to get them to see their value and importance to the club.

There are a few sides to this story, Brown didn't play Jack at the beginning of the season and then brought him into the side. Once in the starting 11, Jack showed very quickly how good a player he is. Has this played a part in his thinking? I.e- the managers not picker me, when he has I've shown my quality, Il now make him regret leaving me out the team.

Jack has the potential to be worshipped at the club, surely a wage of £2,000 a week is enough to squirrel some away for retirement and stay loyal to a club?

When you look at the squad, Brown could but surely wont build the team around the spine of Bentley, Coker, Payne and Barnett. I'm aware Coker isn't technically a member of the spine as such but those 4 IMO are the top 4 players at the club. Surely 2 of those 4 should be being and should have been pursued day after day by the club to get them to see their value and importance to the club.

Trouble is someone else can offer £10,000 or £15,000 a week. Same with Bentley.

Just seen Phil Brown and Jack Paynes agent having coffee down the sea front in the arches restauants. He was there for ages in a reflective sunglasses and pink over the shoulder sweater combo.

It could of been his latest squeeze and not Paynes agent though with him, I am not 100% sure.

£104k a year is not enough to squirrel much away for retirement in a 10 year career.

Its a damn sight more than the majority of working people. Who's to say he wouldn't earn more in a few years time.

Oh, and heaven forbid after 10 years of a luxury lifestyle and 15 hour week he'd gave to go and get a "normal" job.

Just seen Phil Brown and Jack Payne's agent having coffee down the sea front in the arches restaurants. He was there for ages in reflective sunglasses and a pink over the shoulder sweater combo.

It could of been his latest squeeze and not Paynes agent though with him, I am not 100% sure.

Interesting. Did you notice what type of shoes Browny was wearing?

Disappointed with Jack. Wish him well but think he's moving way too early. Hasn't even finished his second full season and is angling for a move. Yes, Bentley is leaving aswell but he's been virtually ever-present for the last 3 seasons and in this age of no player loyalty that seems a fair amount of time. Bentley could do well for Rangers or in the champ but I can see Payne being on loan at a league 1 club by Jan, I hope I'm wrong but there are very few teams in the champ that will be able to continue playing him every game with his current levels of inconsistency. Another season with us in league 1 would have done him the world of good. I get Bentley moving on but from an outside view, Jack seems to be moving for all the wrong reasons. Could have been an icon here like Freddy and Freddy was only here for 3 seasons in his successful spell. Shame.

As I am not privy to any conversations between Jack, his agent and the club I can't say whether this is the right move from Payne or not. What I will say is it is desperately disappointing for a fan to see these very decent young players leave the club. Bentley I expected to leave but I had hoped Payne might stay. We will miss Payne far more than Bentley as Payne is one of those players that can light up a game in a flash, like Eastwood or Gower. Precious few of those about.

The worst bit is I don't for one moment trust Brown to replace Payne with anything like the same ability to score/create goals. With Worrall seemingly off as well we may as well get on with the important business of changing our name to Southend Nil for next season.

How can you not include Leonard in there? He is easily one of our best three players!

As I am not privy to any conversations between Jack, his agent and the club I can't say whether this is the right move from Payne or not. What I will say is it is desperately disappointing for a fan to see these very decent young players leave the club. Bentley I expected to leave but I had hoped Payne might stay. We will miss Payne far more than Bentley as Payne is one of those players that can light up a game in a flash, like Eastwood or Gower. Precious few of those about.

The worst bit is I don't for one moment trust Brown to replace Payne with anything like the same ability to score/create goals. With Worrall seemingly off as well we may as well get on with the important business of changing our name to Southend Nil for next season.

I understood Worrall contract talks were going as planned. Has that changed? The club stated he was due to play yesterday but due to illness on the day of the game he couldn't.

How can you not include Leonard in there? He is easily one of our best three players!

Absolutely. I'd go as far as to say that Leonard is more important than any of those other 4. He's the heartbeat of this side. Brown's got a HUGE job on this summer. If Leonard also departed we really would be in serious, serious trouble.....

Just seen Phil Brown and Jack Paynes agent having coffee down the sea front in the arches restauants. He was there for ages in a reflective sunglasses and pink over the shoulder sweater combo.

Yep, walked right past him, easily spotted with his mirrored shades. Was going to have a word with him, but I had my wife and kids with me and they would have died with embarrassment if I had done so... Not sure who he was with, didn't look like an agent to me? :winking:

Regarding Jack Payne, have there been any clubs making overtures in terms of signing him? Unlike Bentley (Everton, Bournemouth & Norwich rumoured to be in the bidding) there is no speculation about JP?

As as much of a talent that JP is, I still think he'd struggle to get a regular game at a Championship club, the boy needs pitch time, so if common sense prevails he will stay for at least another season, sadly he seems to have a greedy agent, amongst others...

What ****ed me off is that these young.players have one or two good seasons an then think they are world beaters.

The sad thing is they will probably go elsewhere and earn double their wages to sit on the bench when getting games at this stage in there careers is vital.

Kane ferdinand felt the same and where is he now?

I wish them well and if we make a tidy sum then I really hope that Ron allows PB to invest the money in the playing budget.

PB has wound me up plenty this season but he is bang on with omitting both Payne and Bentley from the team.

Regarding Jack Payne, have there been any clubs making overtures in terms of signing him? Unlike Bentley (Everton, Bournemouth & Norwich rumoured to be in the bidding) there is no speculation about JP?

As as much of a talent that JP is, I still think he'd struggle to get a regular game at a Championship club, the boy needs pitch time, so if common sense prevails he will stay for at least another season, sadly he seems to have a greedy agent, amongst others...

Ipswich, Huddersfield and Wolves are three clubs that have been mentioned who are interested in signing him.

Back