• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I too also heard the Brown interview on the radio and it would seem that Brown has resumed that he will be going along with Bentley although, no offers have come to the table. Interestingly he did make a valid point about him coming through the youth ranks and in not so many words implied loyality counts for nothing and he felt for Ricky Duncan. PB did say that Jacks agent had discussed contract via email - which I find personally a little disrespectful. Also, PB believes his agent putting wrong ideas in head
My view is that he requires at least another year at this club with regular 1st team games. I do not feel he is yet ready to play at a higher level. He needs to grow, mature and develop the mental aspect to the game as well develop in the physical sense. He needs to be mindful as if no-one decent comes in for him I.e higher club that he may well remain at this club next season and he may have no option but to sign (as all footballers want to do is play) where will that leave him? Knowing he doesn't really want to be here he cannot expect the manager to play him.
Nope, really think someone should take this lad to one side and give him an honest view. You cannot help but feel sometimes these agents do more harm than good.

My view is that he requires at least another year at this club with regular 1st team games.

Many people said this about Bentley last summer, and I'm sure with hindsight would agree that £1 million in our bank would've been preferable. It's the same with Jack Payne - far better he goes than we build the team around a player who doesn't want to be here. He should choose his next team carefully though, as sitting on someone's bench won't do him any favours. I wonder whether he will actually end up back in league one? He ran rings round Sheffield United for example and I'm sure they have the budget to pay him more than we do.

I wish him all the best. I just fear he will not get the same
Leeway he did here.
Firstly he came through the ranks as the star player....thus having kudos and patience aplenty un the bank.
As should be expected he has had some inconsistency from.game to game but has had very good spells in the team regardless.
My worry is none of the above will count at a bigger club. The fans will look at him and say who's this midget rocking up. A bad game or two will lead to the inevitable light weight...too small comments...New gaffer may agree.
Has great skill, technique and work ethic as we all know.
Shame he couldn't stay longer

It's a real shame that Jack Payne is going although this is the world we live in with agents calling the shots. Payne is one of the most promising players I have seen in fifty years of supporting SUFC. At least with Dan Bentley we had two good seasons out of him but Payne has only really featured for half a season. This goes to show how difficult it is for clubs of our stature to progress, so frustrating.

Not that long ago didn't think Jack would make it at this level.Very disappointed that after the the support of the club in bringing him through that he couldn't have given us one more season.The other point is that is agent has no doubt been beavering a way in the background to get him another club which then raises the question of how commited Jack has been in the last few matches when we have fallen away.

Good luck to Payne if he goes. He deserves better than how he has been treated here.
Bentley destined for great things if he keeps his feet on the ground so to speak.
Would love to see little Messi develop, sadly it seems not with us.
Spoons right over the top. Has not PB accommadated JP, i think he has, and now young JP wishes to move one to better thngs, nought wrong with that. The boy has a future at a higher level, and good luck to him

Have seen this young man grow and grow through the youth team and then into the first team to become one of the most important players in our side. I also think that to move now would be a season too soon for him, he would do better to establish himself as first choice in a side which can be built around him next season. Think his agent has way over stepped the mark in his advice and fear for him, no team is bigger than an individual and if he DOES go, then we'll continue to produce and build players through our excellent youth set up.

Only time will tell if his agent has made the right decision.

Personally I tend to agree with the majority who feels he should stay another year to get more experience at this level.

It is a shame that the only loyalty an agent sees are pound notes.

I think as it stands we won't get very much up front in money for jack as I think he is moving on way to early and it will be very hard to put a price tag on him through a tribunal, think both parties are set to lose out except the agent, we will be lucky to get 200k up front but I hope I'm wrong:'(

As is the norm players agent think he is better than he is .Agent are whats killing lower league football .Sorry I cant and wont blame phil brown Why do you keep banging on about Bolton .Its jack paines agent you should be slagging off .Because I feel its not jack he is thinking off it lining his own wallet . J P was offeed a contract his agent turned it down .Where on earth is that phil brown fault .

A class player and has been for some time (not just half a season as suggested by some on here). is well thought of outside of Southend hence probably why his Agent is chancing his arm. I said last season that I could see him being a 'Michael Kightly' in leaving Southend on the cheap/free and being successful elsewhere and I see no reason to change that opinion.

Time will tell if it was the right time to move.

Time will tell but we need to move on. Two players with potential - but at the moment in terms of playing higher than L1 that is all it is - potential My feeling is that they are both probably moving on two years too early but it is symptomatic of where we are with agents, money .... life!

Just hope that wherever they go they get the game time they are going to need to develop further - because neither are anywhere near the finished article - despite what they (or their nearest and dearest, think.)

Not sure we can blame club or management as there is genuinely very little that clubs like our own can do under the current rules. Let us hope PB (or whoever) can pull together a competitive team over the summer, unearth a goalscorer and a formation/ system that we stick with.

I think it's worth remembering here that throughout Jack has seemed more than happy to stay here. Let's not let a meddling agent taint the memories of one of the most exciting players we've had in years, and one of the best products to come from through our youth system as a local lad.

But if as someone alluded to on the official match thread he wasn't happy that he wasn't even on the bench he can have no one to blame apart from himself. As others have said poor from him to let PB know he wants to leave by email. At least have the decency to tell him face to face.

But if as someone alluded to on the official match thread he wasn't happy that he wasn't even on the bench he can have no one to blame apart from himself. As others have said poor from him to let PB know he wants to leave by email. At least have the decency to tell him face to face.

Saw him before the match in the dug out and was greeted with a huge smile and an "Alright?" He seemed comfortable enough. Was't Jack with the emails but the agent and hopefully Jack might yet realise the benefit to himself of staying another year.

Saw him before the match in the dug out and was greeted with a huge smile and an "Alright?" He seemed comfortable enough. Was't Jack with the emails but the agent and hopefully Jack might yet realise the benefit to himself of staying another year.
Pretty sure PB said in his interview after the game he'd received emails from Jack AND his agent.

I think it's worth remembering here that throughout Jack has seemed more than happy to stay here. Let's not let a meddling agent taint the memories of one of the most exciting players we've had in years, and one of the best products to come from through our youth system as a local lad.

Agents dont work on their own, he and Payne would have talked and he will be carrying out his wishes.

If Payne isnt signing a new contract its because he doesnt want to.

Whilst he came through our system he isnt a local lad, he is from London and still lives there as far as I know.

All very frustrating that as soon as he matures into a first team player he buggers off. Beginning of the season he wasnt quite there but has grown throughout the season.

Not impressed with him, or the fact we didnt sort his contract out sooner. Bentely leaving was bad enough but we need to tie our promising youngsters into better deals.

Lets hope tribunals give us a fair amount, cant see it with Payne though.

From what I can remember Brown did him a massive favour, as in when he came in most of the youth team were out of contract including Payne. But he he gave him more time as he had been injured for a fair while and then offered him a contract way beyond the terms of any other youth player at the time. So for the Brown haters this is certainly not something to hit him with.

I fear for jack if he does leave us this year. You see it so many times throughout football, after half a season playing well players move on to what they believe are better things, struggle to make the step up and never recover from that slump, until they end up playing Infront of 236 fans on a Sunday afternoon. For £50 and a free buffet after the game.

All it will take is 2 or 3 poor games where jack is pushed around or doesn't get into the game (which we've seen can happen easily with him) and fans will be on his back because they have no affiliation with him unlike us.

Back