• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January Sales Thread

"Unfortunately, I feel the league is very weak this year"

people are so weird .... its not like clubs with x 4 our attendance might have a bit more cash

I didn’t say that they don’t have more cash. I consider what Powell is trying to build as good (younger players) and that he needs time and a bit of luck to get the right players, while getting rid of those he doesn’t rate and haven’t turned up regularly. Yes, we can’t compete with £4 mill for Grigg but would anyone with any real sense pay that much for him? It’s not always about money IMO

Window should be open all year so that small clubs can save money by carrying smaller squads and topping up whenever necessary and can sell players whenever necessary to ease financial difficulties.

Worked well for more than100 years.

Windows are just another example of benefitting the rich clubs.

It doesn’t help the big deal that Sky Sports and other news outlets make out of it. It’s all about making money and the Premiership, **** the rest!

Hardly rate Wimbledon as ever being a 'big club, especially the current fan-founded version, but no doubt it's been a tough league this season and think it difficult to call which club will be title winners.

Window should be open all year so that small clubs can save money by carrying smaller squads and topping up whenever necessary and can sell players whenever necessary to ease financial difficulties.

Saved me from typing it.

Had a quick look on the Walsall forum and seems like we might have dodged a bit of a bullet with Ferrier. Apparently has a terrible attitude, constantly rubs people up the wrong way (including his own teammates) and shows flashes of brilliance once every so often but not nearly enough.

We’ve had a fair few players like that over the years and it never ends well. Adam Thompson said the squad morale was unbelievable, like a bunch of best mates playing together. Taylor Moore also spoke the other day about how happy he was here. Ferrier doesn’t really sound like someone we’d want in that respect.

As long as we can get over the line and steer clear of relegation for the rest of the season then the big job starts in the summer. Hopefully the likes of Kelman and Hutchinson will be fairly well established first teamers by then.

I expect the same was said of Stan. Maybe of Freddy and Ricky as well.

So it does sometimes work out but it’s one I’d have wanted to do my homework on - something deadline day isn’t conducive to unless he was someone we’d been targeting for a while.

You don’t play on a pitch with your reputation or history, do you? Just don’t think it’s that strong in reality is all. Don’t consider Luton a massive club to be honest, just a club on a roll at the moment.

Fair enough on Luton but it seems strong to me at the top with the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth up there even if it is weak outside the top 6.

I disagree, there's a lot more money in football than there used to be. If anything the transfer window protects smaller clubs because it prevents rich clubs from poaching players all year round just because they've decided they need an upgrade.

I would hazard a guess that Ron was having a dig at the agent. We obviously meant business and had the cash available. They gave their permission and the player was happy to talk and must have been interested, so who knows why?

If you remember Ladapo was half way through a medical at Wimbledon on the 31st last year. I wonder how much extra we had to pay to get to cancel that and head for Southend.....I dare say Wimbledon were just as frustrated with that behaviour as Ron is right now.

Either way if we were offering Sunderland size wages the player would be at RH today....He is not because we can't and we have to shop accordingly and not be forced into paying over the top for average players.

This was exactly what I was thinking. Ron can hardly take the moral high ground! If you believe in karma then we got our comeuppance on deadline day.

I disagree, there's a lot more money in football than there used to be. If anything the transfer window protects smaller clubs because it prevents rich clubs from poaching players all year round just because they've decided they need an upgrade.
More money around now. Was it maybe 25 years ago now Southend paid someone 400,000 right back G Poole. Could you imagine Blues laying out anything like that today.

The journalist offers no opinion on Southend. I quite agree with Walsall regarding the statement from our club. No wonder players don't want to join us. I wouldn't want to work for that ****

What was wrong with our statement?

Are you suggesting the club shouldn't have said anything; if that was the case, there would be more uproar about letting Theo go with no attempt at bringing someone else in!!!

This was exactly what I was thinking. Ron can hardly take the moral high ground! If you believe in karma then we got our comeuppance on deadline day.

I don't believe he was taking the moral high ground; he was explaining why we let Theo go without a replacement.

Why are people hell bent on sticking up for other clubs, ahead of our own!!!

I don't believe he was taking the moral high ground; he was explaining why we let Theo go without a replacement.

Why are people hell bent on sticking up for other clubs, ahead of our own!!!

Perhaps taking the moral high ground was a bit strong, however stating that we were 'perplexed' that the player didn't complete the move suggests we're shifting the blame to either the player or his agent. The deal's never complete until they sign a contract, as the Ladapo situation last year shows.

BTW I'll always stick up for anyone who's wronged, the pinching of Ladapo from Wimbledon left a bad taste in my mouth. If that had happened to us we'd all be spitting feathers. I support SUFC as a team, not necessarily everything that goes on behind the scenes.

Perhaps taking the moral high ground was a bit strong, however stating that we were 'perplexed' that the player didn't complete the move suggests we're shifting the blame to either the player or his agent. The deal's never complete until they sign a contract, as the Ladapo situation last year shows.

BTW I'll always stick up for anyone who's wronged, the pinching of Ladapo from Wimbledon left a bad taste in my mouth. If that had happened to us we'd all be spitting feathers. I support SUFC as a team, not necessarily everything that goes on behind the scenes.

Why did it leave a bad taste; were you personally impacted by that!!

Anyway it's business, those things happen, and I expect it happens all the time in football

I'm sure these things do happen regularly, that doesn't mean I have to think it's right though. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

And BTW yes, I was personally impacted, I had to endure Ladapo's dreadful performances last season! I'm still not sure if it's actually the same man banging in goals for fun for Plymouth.

Whichever way you look at it that was a bad transfer window and one that will land us in trouble. CP quite rightly wanted to strengthen and by his own standards says he doesnt believe it getting in players late.
We have had an extraordinary year of injuries which we have been aware of for months not just during this transfer window. Either way we clearly needed to bolster the squad. Yes it is good news that youngsters like Hutchinson and Kelman signed, but that is very much for the longer term future and whilst needing game time, the youngsters will also have periods of inconsistency, Drew being a great example. So we have known for months that we needed to strengthen, most fans highlighting limitations in midfield. Excellent long term too that we have Humphrys but in strengthening our striker position we let Mc Coulsky AND Robinson leave. At least it has promoted Ba and Wabo to the bench, but what game time will they get?
Between the last Summer window and the start of this recent one I remind that 55 players were managed to be signed as free or unattached, many going on to serve their clubs well. We did nothing. Where was the will or imagination. We then leave it to the very last hour to have a deal for a striker fall through. This is with our stonking new recruitment team in place. Hardly the stuff of wise forward strategy and planning

Sunderland were believed to be leading the interest in Gillinghams Eaves, before they settled on Griggs, so 16 goal Eaves remains with the club , although his contract is up in the Summer

Gillingham did manage 5 new signings, including Ricky Holmes. Their Manager said " Its like a new beginning, " with 3 new debutantes introduced for their draw with Coventry. The new arrivals all came in on loan.

"its brought a breath of fresh air to the club " said Lovell. "It makes players fight for their places and that is the way it has to be going forward " " its a plus we have those players in "
training was brighter, it was great, like a new club, and its exciting " Its provided a welcome boost to the squad "

Really ! no s..t sherlock

We didn't do the dirty on Wimbledon at all. Ladapo was in talks with us and Wimbledon. He chose Wimbledon. He went there to sign his contract, but then saw the facilities and training ground and didn't like the place. He then changed his mind and contacted SUFC. The rest is history. So Ladapo was the one that did the dirty on Wimbledon.

Probably not seeing as he signed a replacement for the striker Charlton sold
Ha! Because everyone here is always so receptive to our managers signing a striker with a record of 27 goals in 165 games, aren't they?

I suspect if we signed Josh Parker, Powell would have got slated for that too. And I'm not personally defending Powell here. Just showing up everyone's hysteria for what it is.

Ha! Because everyone here is always so receptive to our managers signing a striker with a record of 27 goals in 165 games, aren't they?

I suspect if we signed Josh Parker, Powell would have got slated for that too. And I'm not personally defending Powell here. Just showing up everyone's hysteria for what it is.

I take your point, but it still would have been better than signing no one

Back