• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 12 2006,21:50)]Anyone got a photo of what the new 3rd kit looks like as I was unable to make the game, and theres no piccys of it on the OS yet?
Pictures now on the official site. Nice kit
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Aug. 12 2006,22:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 12 2006,21:50)]Anyone got a photo of what the new 3rd kit looks like as I was unable to make the game, and theres no piccys of it on the OS yet?
wow.gif
Thankyou very much kind sir

[b said:
Quote[/b] (IANichols @ Aug. 12 2006,20:15)]only brought Paynter on with 15 mins to go
Obviously he hasn't played much and he clearly deserves a fair crack of the whip and TBH I hope he gets it but I have to say I had an (albeit unsubstantiated) opinion of the player before he joined and Paynter has so far done nothing to change that opinion from what I've seen. I salute Tilly for EVERY SINGLE SIGNING he has made for this club but I really do feel that for £200k we've been absolutely had by that w***er Parkinson on this one - Paynter looks VERY poor to me.

I await his decent run in the side to make a fair judgement and I REALLY hope he proves me wrong. Until then I'm PRAYING Ricketts gets himself fit.........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Aug. 12 2006,22:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (IANichols @ Aug. 12 2006,20:15)]only brought Paynter on with 15 mins to go
Obviously he hasn't played much and he clearly deserves a fair crack of the whip and TBH I hope he gets it but I have to say I had an (albeit unsubstantiated) opinion of the player before he joined and Paynter has so far done nothing to change that opinion from what I've seen. I salute Tilly for EVERY SINGLE SIGNING he has made for this club but I really do feel that for £200k we've been absolutely had by that w***er Parkinson on this one - Paynter looks VERY poor to me.

I await his decent run in the side to make a fair judgement and I REALLY hope he proves me wrong. Until then I'm PRAYING Ricketts gets himself fit.........
Said exactly the same thing to my mates today. Like you, hope I am proved very wrong though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Aug. 12 2006,22:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Aug. 12 2006,22:50)]
[b said:

Said exactly the same thing to my mates today.  Like you, hope I am proved very wrong though!
When he signed it was Draft Shrimper who informed me of the deal - now I really do try to not form instant and prejudiced opinions of new boys without seeing them play in a Shrimpers shirt (well apart from Tony Richards of course lol). However on this occasion I think (and I know Draft Shrimper will corroberate on this one) my instant response was "Oh dear"  
sad.gif
 and I believe the term "carthorse" was also uttered. I'd DEARLY love to be proved wrong on this one and put it this way I think we'd all MUCH rather have Tilly in charge than me lol but........

My Dad's mate is a Port Vale fan also so I e-mailed him about signing Paynter for £200k and (already fearing the worst) got a response with about 500 lol's all across my screen.

C'mon Billy prove me wrong, when you get a good run in the side and do well I'll be more than happy to come on here and admit I was wrong about you. Until then (and beyond) I'll support you to the hilt every time you step out onto that pitch in a Southend shirt but I have the most horrible feeling about this one I really can't shake off.......

P.S. So Tilly's looking for 1 more striker? Well it won't be Agogo as he's joining Forest on Monday - why oh why couldn't we have shelled out an extra £50k on him instead?

rock.gif

I think Guttridge needs to go to the same finishing school as Bentley did last season!!

the most worrying thing was just how slow QPR made us look. In the midfield especially, they were very quick to close down, and were happy to run with it through the middle. Several times in the first half Maher and Gutts were both left standing and suddenly we were out-numbered. Either one of them has to sit deeper for away games, or we need to inject some pace into the team. yesterday was the first time this year we faced a quick team, and we really struggled to get used to it.

[b said:
[b said:
wow.gif
I like it actually. Can't beleive it won't be in the shop though! I love these Nike socks....

I thought Rehman and Ainsworth were a class above for them yesterday! They looked quality!

Wish we had them at Roots Hall!

Have to say the following....
1. Southend should NEVER play in red!! The kit is horrible, makes us look like Kidderminster and play worse! We have never done well in red.

2. We were simply dreadful yesterday, even in the second half when QPR got the jitters about their first win in 15 games. We were too scared to shoot.

3. Prior was really found out and must surely be "rested" next week.

4. Freddy was quite poor yesterday. He looked ordinary by his standards and never seemed confident on the ball.

5. Stop knocking Paynter! He keeps being brought on when the game is already lost. Other than go on a mazy and stick the ball in from 20 yards, what can he do. Let the lad have his chance and then judge him after half a dozen games.

6. If we persist with Bradbury up front, I am afraid we will be relegated. He simply has no goal threat.

7. Ricketts, even when over his injury, is a long way from his fighting weight and will make us even slower up front, although should give is an option on corners etc.

Yes, I do feel pretty low about all of the above, but perhaps we got a little dillusional after the opening day. Hopefully we wont give Sunderland their first points on Saturday and a good win against Bournemouth will breathe new confidence in the side.......heres hoping

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Aug. 13 2006,12:00)]6.  If we persist with Bradbury up front, I am afraid we will be relegated.  He simply has no goal threat.
Agree with you 100% about Badbuy! Dont think we'll be relegated though!

Yes he should be dropped! Badbuy is not a threat as a striker!
Yes he's good outwide, but even then we have Gower and JCR!

Time for Freddy to partner someone else up front.

This post will probably cue Matt The Shrimp to defend Badbuy to the hilt and to have another pop at me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

JOKE MATT if you read this!!! Honestly!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Aug. 13 2006,12:00)]Have to say the following....
1.  Southend should NEVER play in red!!  The kit is horrible, makes us look like Kidderminster and play worse!  We have never done well in red.

2. We were simply dreadful yesterday, even in the second half when QPR got the jitters about their first win in 15 games.  We were too scared to shoot.

3. Prior was really found out and must surely be "rested" next week.

4.  Freddy was quite poor yesterday.  He looked ordinary by his standards and never seemed confident on the ball.

5.  Stop knocking Paynter!  He keeps being brought on when the game is already lost.  Other than go on a mazy and stick the ball in from 20 yards, what can he do.  Let the lad have his chance and then judge him after half a dozen games.

6.  If we persist with Bradbury up front, I am afraid we will be relegated.  He simply has no goal threat.

7.  Ricketts, even when over his injury, is a long way from his fighting weight and will make us even slower up front, although should give is an option on corners etc.

Yes, I do feel pretty low about all of the above, but perhaps we got a little dillusional after the opening day.  Hopefully we wont give Sunderland their first points on Saturday and a good win against Bournemouth will breathe new confidence in the side.......heres hoping
Agree with most of this. However, am I the only one who thought we played some genuinely fantastic football in the second half? I realise that we were chasing the game by then but even so, some of our passing and movement was breathtaking at times. The only thing that was lacking was a cutting edge in front of goal. Hopefully that will come, though I do think we need to start with Paynter against Sunderland. Bradders has done a great job so far this season but he never looks like scoring, whereas I get the impression that Paynter will get on the end of something if he's given the right service from wide areas.

There is no doubt that our football is pleasing on the eye and this will get us many accolades this season I am sure. However, the problem is that there is no penetration. We knock the ball around nicely, then go down one wing only to come back across the middle and down the other. There is no incision, nobody creates an opening and if we do toss the ball into the box, it is seemingly too close the the keeper, or of a poor quality and out of play. Freddy is not a target centre forward, he is being very well marked and we currently have no other options. Perhaps Ricketts is the answer, I hope so, but I doubt that he will be fit enough or remain so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 13 2006,12:08)]This post will probably cue Matt The Shrimp to defend Badbuy to the hilt and to have another pop at me  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

JOKE MATT if you read this!!!  Honestly!!!
tounge.gif

I'm still feeling deflated about the game, to be honest. I thought we were poor all over the park, and cannot say that anyone had a decent game.

To then hear about racist chanting (and to find so many people on here apparently willing to brush it off as something that just happens - well, b******s, it shouldn't and the fact that it has happened is something that shames us all), well it's just the crowning **** on a thoroughly crap afternoon.

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Aug. 13 2006,15:36)]am I the only one who thought we played some genuinely fantastic football in the second half?
Not sure, we were certainly much better in the 2nd half but in all honesty did we pass it as well as in our previous 2 games? For me there were too many misplaced passes yesterday and we weren't anywhere near as fluent. We have the players to play pretty football and generally we do it very well - I don't think we did it anywhere near as well as we can yesterday though. Yes we'll get plaudits for playing good football as the squad we have know how to play the game the right way and are competent in doing so but in all honesty we've got problems at the back (I'm sorry to say we all know who) and if Freddy has a bad game we're toothless up front. Ricketts - when finally fit(ish) - should be a big asset in the target-man role but JCR had better get his act together and start getting to the line and putting balls into the box as at the moment Gower's the only one of the two doing what he's paid to do (and even that's without getting to the line cos he's right-footed).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Aug. 13 2006,15:54)]There is no doubt that our football is pleasing on the eye and this will get us many accolades this season I am sure. However, the problem is that there is no penetration. We knock the ball around nicely, then go down one wing only to come back across the middle and down the other. There is no incision, nobody creates an opening and if we do toss the ball into the box, it is seemingly too close the the keeper, or of a poor quality and out of play. Freddy is not a target centre forward, he is being very well marked and we currently have no other options. Perhaps Ricketts is the answer, I hope so, but I doubt that he will be fit enough or remain so.
Interestingly, we only had two fewer shots than QPR. Second half we should have scored at least one.

It's funny how differently you can see games. I came away from the game thinking how we had been horribly poor in the first half but QPR hadn't impressed me. If anything, I felt they were wasteful and should have been 3 up. Second half Ainsworth missed a glorious opportunity too. Was their play really that good? I thoughtt hey closed us down quite quickly but if we had been playing as we did agaist Palace, we would have kept the ball better and dictated the tempo. Was Blackstock really that good against us that he should get star man in nearly every newspaper report?

I also agree with AD's post just above this one. The short passing was consistently a yard or two slower than it should have been. Particularly surprising that s brief shower before kick off should have ensured a slick passing surface.

Massive test next weekend though. Up against a team who have had a few tricky games but have quality in their team. Really need to be getting something out of the game because we won't play Sunderland at a better time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ Aug. 13 2006,11:47)]
[b said:
[b said:
wow.gif
I like it actually. Can't beleive it won't be in the shop though! I love these Nike socks....
Why not?

That red kit looks good.

I see two guys at QPR wearing the shirt.

Why wont they be available?

Clubshop Steve over to you...

Back