• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

L2 playoff semi

I checked out several of those games and they were all correct, of course I remember loads of them home and away because I was there!
I certainly remember the first “Essex Derby” I saw, it was a 5-2 defeat at Roots Hall. I seem to remember Perry Groves had a blinder. Pennyfather got one of our goals. Was a night game under the floodlights. Do you remember it?

I certainly remember the first “Essex Derby” I saw, it was a 5-2 defeat at Roots Hall. . Was a night game under the floodlights. Do you remember it?

Mine was our 0-4 defeat at Layer Rd in 68, on a Fri evening. Crowd was over 10,500, prob half were our fans.
In our defence, or rather lack of it, both our regular Full Backs, Tony Bentley & Graham Birks were both injured & didn't play that night.

I certainly remember the first “Essex Derby” I saw, it was a 5-2 defeat at Roots Hall. I seem to remember Perry Groves had a blinder. Pennyfather got one of our goals. Was a night game under the floodlights. Do you remember it?

Yes I was there, we got there a bit late because we had to drive up after work and pick someone up from Canvey! There was such a queue at the away end, we paid and went in the home areas terracing on the side.I celebrated each of our goals, my 4 companions were a bit hesitant due to the filthy looks and comments we were getting from the home fans, they said afterwards it was a near death experience!

Mine was our 0-4 defeat at Layer Rd in 68, on a Fri evening. Crowd was over 10,500, prob half were our fans.
In our defence, or rather lack of it, both our regular Full Backs, Tony Bentley & Graham Birks were both injured & didn't play that night.
Who could forget that match which was played in between the cup matches against Kings Lynn 9-0 and Brentwood Town 10-1 and a league match at Roots Hall against Bradford City which resulted in a 2-0 win watched by 11,111. Tony Bentley did play but Graham Birks was injured and he was replaced by Dave Stone who never played for the first team again. Colchester's four goals were scored by Jim Oliver, Brian Gibbs, Owen Simpson and a Terry Dyson penalty after he had been floored off the ball by the late great Trevor Roberts. I remember Owen Simpson's goal like it was yesterday a fantastic strike from almost the half-way line. Owen then joined Southend at the end of the season. The attendance that night was 10,604 which I believe was the highest league attendance at Layer Road for about 30+years and one of only 3 league attendances of over 10,000 in that time Luton Town in April 1966 and Gillingham in April 1974 but I need it to be confirmed by Colchester and Proud?

This would be the first time we played Col Ewes at League 2 level since 1990 when we won 2-0 at Layer Rd, all but confirm Col Ewes relegation to the Conference.

This would be the first time we played Col Ewes at League 2 level since 1990 when we won 2-0 at Layer Rd, all but confirm Col Ewes relegation to the Conference.

Yes I remember that game I was there and saw some kid (Daley?) run through our defence to score in front of the hordes of Southend fans in our luxury Layer Road end with en suite facilities!

I vaguely remember one match @ Layer Road and Tony Adcock (I think) missed two penalties, both high into the stand!

Yes I remember that game I was there and saw some kid (Daley?) run through our defence to score in front of the hordes of Southend fans in our luxury Layer Road end with en suite facilities!

Must be an painful experience for you, just image if internet was made in 1990, the Col Utd forum would gone melt down ?

Back