• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lee Sawyer

Macca or Sawyer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
Now I know the majority on here, and the majority that went to Brentford and the majority that sit around me in East Reds rate Lee Sawyer highly but last night, in the spell that Sawyer had on the pitch, he should exactly why he should be one of the first names on the team sheet, and one of the players our team should be moulded around whilst his here.

He got into the box in 20 odd minutes more than the likes of Laurent and Macca did whilst they was on the pitch. Same could be said of Grant, but his a holding midfielder so I will let him off. He made things happen. His slide ball down the right wing to Sankofa was top draw, and nothing that any of our other midfielders can do, including Moussa.

Players like Dougie, Barnard and O'Donovan need the ball sliding into them. O'Donovan needs it slide between centre halfs so he can use his pace, Dougie needs it slide into him because once he has the ball he can create chances for Barnard, and Barnard needs it slide into him because, despite him being good in the air, the likes of Jaidhi and Trotman will win the majority of them balls all day long.

Sawyer is a class above anything we have at this Club, and someone we should be looking to either extend his loan in January or actually buy him. He has the potential, in the same way Bailey did, to play at a higher level and make us some money in the mean time.

He rades across midfield looking for opportunities to slide players in, play one twos or create chances for us.

With Macca going off last night, it should provide Tilson with a chance to partner Sawyer with either Granty or JFC in that middle of midfield, and in my opinion that is the most balanced pairing of our central midfielders. Sawyer will look to get beyond the strikers and score goals, whilst either JFC or Grant will provide a shield to the back four.

He never touched the ball for the first 5 minutes he was on! Can we get over this "Lee Sawyer is a God" thing - it's getting awfully tiresome. Tilly obviously doesn't think he's ready for an adoring public to be very quickly let down when he's given the role you all seem to think he's ready for. Stop piling so much pressure on him and let him have a spell on as sub here and there.

There's a clear week before our next game, plenty of time for Macca's ankle to be sorted out.

He never touched the ball for the first 5 minutes he was on! Can we get over this "Lee Sawyer is a God" thing - it's getting awfully tiresome. Tilly obviously doesn't think he's ready for an adoring public to be very quickly let down when he's given the role you all seem to think he's ready for. Stop piling so much pressure on him and let him have a spell on as sub here and there.

There's a clear week before our next game, plenty of time for Macca's ankle to be sorted out.

I don't agree. He is probally the best player at the club.....already.

He should start - and in my opinion, in place of Macca. Macca has been average a best this season.

I don't agree. He is probally the best player at the club.....already.

He should start - and in my opinion, in place of Macca. Macca has been average a best this season.

Being as the rumours are that he's already too big for his boots, you lot are not helping Tilly at all!

Lee sawyer IMHO benefits from not being picked by Tilly because of the fans fantasy of what he's do if he were on the pitch. When he comes on, going forward he's OK, but defensively is miles off the pace and an absolute liability. The sort of player you dreaded being in your team when you played. A real fancy Dan who expected the rest of the team to do the work for you. He clearly has talent but unless he can harness that he will end up like the last Messiah Lee Hodges who was a very similar player. Already there have been calls to "play him in the hole behind the strikers", the position usually filled unsuccessfully by players who don't fit in.
In my opinion at present Lee Sawyer is the most over rated player on our books. However he has the talent to be one of the best if he works on his obvious flaws.

Lee sawyer IMHO benefits from not being picked by Tilly because of the fans fantasy of what he's do if he were on the pitch. When he comes on, going forward he's OK, but defensively is miles off the pace and an absolute liability. The sort of player you dreaded being in your team when you played. A real fancy Dan who expected the rest of the team to do the work for you. He clearly has talent but unless he can harness that he will end up like the last Messiah Lee Hodges who was a very similar player. Already there have been calls to "play him in the hole behind the strikers", the position usually filled unsuccessfully by players who don't fit in.
In my opinion at present Lee Sawyer is the most over rated player on our books. However he has the talent to be one of the best if he works on his obvious flaws.

:whistling: What CAN I say?

Haha! Sawyer was the one who made the most perfect crab like pass last night!!!

At least he can pass though, Macca attempt the same cross field ball 3/4 times and it never come off.

Sawyer is so much better than Macca in my opinion.

You mention his lack of defensive discipline, but surely having someone like JFC or Granty who are both very good defensive midfielders compensates for that.

Sawyer did more last night than Macca did in the entire time he was on. He is more of a threat going forward, can pass a ball, creates chances and drives forward and Macca of old could drive forward but he seems to be a shadow of his former self.

. When he comes on, going forward he's OK, but defensively is miles off the pace and an absolute liability. The sort of player you dreaded being in your team when you played. A real fancy Dan who expected the rest of the team to do the work for you.

Which is exactly why you play him with JFC or Grant in the holding role.

We all have opinions which is great, and in mine to call Sawyer a fancy dan is so far off the mark it's as accurate as Macca in the warm up!!

He is the sort of player who will improve the more he plays - just like Moussa - let's face it, we already have very little chance of promotion this season (unless it's to a 7 a-side league) so if (and it's a big if) we have the money and the desire to sign him full time, then imho he should be one of the first names on the Team Sheet.

Last season alongside JFC, he was quite simply the best young prospect I have seen at RH for years

Sawyer did more last night than Macca did in the entire time he was on. He is more of a threat going forward, can pass a ball, creates chances and drives forward and Macca of old could drive forward but he seems to be a shadow of his former self.

Completely wrong, hence several people have Macca down as their MotM last night - his passing last night was pretty much spot on, apart from when they all started to tire towards the end and mistakes were creeping in from several people. There were some great cross pitch balls to switch play, and he was off down the wing a couple of times too, as well as all the stuff he and Grant were dealing with centrally too.

Completely wrong, hence several people have Macca down as their MotM last night - his passing last night was pretty much spot on, apart from when they all started to tire towards the end and mistakes were creeping in from several people. There were some great cross pitch balls to switch play, and he was off down the wing a couple of times too, as well as all the stuff he and Grant were dealing with centrally too.

Its amazing how people can watch the same game and see it completely different.

My opinion isn't wrong just because you say so. Its my opinion, and in my opinion Sawyer offered us more in 20 odd minutes than Macca did all game.

Macca can't pass water, let alone a football. He tried that same pass 3/4 times and it didn't come off once. How many times did he recieve the ball from the thrower and either put it onto the throwers (Friend in this instance) wrong foot? How many times did he recieve the ball from the thrower and just hook it up the line to Southampton?

He gives the ball away far too much for a central midfielder. If Milwall come back with £200K in January I'd snap their hands off. The old Macca has disappeared. In this initial loan spell in League Two, in his return to us in the Championship, and in his partnership with Bailey, Macca was one of the first names on the team sheet full of passion, drive and commitment but nowadays he is a shadow of his former self.

I wonder what has happened to the old Macca. The last very good performance I can recall from him was Scunthorpe at home last season when he scored? That was the 24th of February. Can the old Macca please stand up...

Where's Westander when you need him? He'll back me up here cos I pointed the cross pitch accurate passes out to him each time. You're really being way too hard, he had a decent enough game last night, and he had a cracking game against Millwall a few weeks back too.

He never touched the ball for the first 5 minutes he was on! Can we get over this "Lee Sawyer is a God" thing - it's getting awfully tiresome.

Not sure you're one to talk about repetition of a point of view being awfully tiresome.

I haven't seen lots of games recently but Sawyer is head and shoulders above Macca unfortunately. I can't believe that people are saying Sawyer should be given twenty minutes here and there, if we have any ambition at all we should look to sign Sawyer or at least extend his loan and if he is getting twenty minutes here or there then he isn't going to want to come back is he and it will show Tilly up for the lack of ideas and guts he sometimes has.

Maybe he isn't the greatest trainer and maybe he is too big for his own boots, but we are not Man Utd and Tilly is not Alex Ferguson, we can't just not play a quality player because he may not be the best trainer in the world because we don't have the quality to come in. Lets be honest the player whose place he should take is out every Saturday night getting smashed and he doesn't even look like he cares if we have won, lost or drawn.

I used to be a huge fan of Macca, he is my kind of player, he is determined, aggressive, puts his foot in, riles people up but in my opinion that is not good enough anymore, not with the teams we have in this division.

And for the guy who said we can't play Sawyer because he is weak in defense. Paul Scholes anyone?

Where's Westander when you need him? He'll back me up here cos I pointed the cross pitch accurate passes out to him each time. You're really being way too hard, he had a decent enough game last night, and he had a cracking game against Millwall a few weeks back too.

In my opinion, Macca was much of a muchness last night. Most players where like that for me.

You mentioned Millwall, well since then he has started 9 out of 10 games since then. Even if he played a cracking game against Millwall, which I don't agree with I thought he did OK, his followed it up with 9 poor games since then. That simply isn't good enough.

Don't get me wrong, at this level you wont get players playing superb every week, if they did they wouldn't be at this Club for long, like Bailey. But an average of 1 good game in 10 is extremely poor.

Also at this level, I don't expect world beaters. Players will have weaknesses as well as their strenghts but in my opinion Macca is now becoming more of a liability to the side with his constant rants at refs, having a pop at other players and playing badly. He needs to step up to the plate, something he should have been looking to do once the likes of Gower, Maher and Bailey left the Club. He is the senior midfielder, and a senior memeber of the squad, but he isn't playing like it, and some times isn't acting like it on the pitch.

I can't wait for the old Macca to return, but as every poor peformance goes by I'm wondering if the old Macca has left the building...

The midfield simply aren't delivering on a consistent basis this season. The approach of us being solid and hard to break down has seriously hampered our attacking threat, especially from the middle of the park. Tilly seems to be setting us up not to lose (unlike his teams in the past), rather than looking for us to win games and its extremely frustrating to see when the alternative is to start with Sawyer and look to impose ourselves on the opposition.

I think with Lee in the side he will offer us more than any other midfielder currently at the club going forwards and after Grant's display last night (how anyone gave him MOM is beyond me - I thought he was very poor) I'd partner Sawyer with JFC and try to get at Bristol Rovers on Saturday with Sawyer being our focal point.

It's not about me or anyone else taking sides in the "Macca v Sawyer" debate that seems to be developing on here, it's simply about putting out the best team possible for us to get a win next week. For me that means Sawyer in, Macca out because in terms of ability it's not contest...in my opinion.

No, end of. Blimey, we do have short memories don't we?

And play them together!!!

No, end of. Blimey, we do have short memories don't we?

And play them together!!!

Depends what you call a short memory. Unfortunately football managers should have short memories. players don't show any loyalty, nor should managers.

Back