• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Silencer

Director
Just a question to see what others think, I know the midfield is not protecting the side at the moment, but I wonder whether Prosser being out of the side has also made us look weaker at the back.

Don't get me wrong, if we was starting a season fresh and I was picking my best team on paper, then the defence that I would pick would be Clohessy, Phillips, Cresswell and Barker, however it's not the start of the season and various things have happened. Players lose form, others get injured, suspensions happen etc

I really rate Prosser, he never moans at being a squad player and perhaps in a strange way, that has been his downfall and made it easier for Mr Sturrock to drop him for Mark Phillips.

During a large chunk of our unbeaten run, I personally thought that Prosser was arguably our stand out defender (Clohessey is always decent). It just seems to me that with Phillips returning from injury (although clearly not match fit) that Sturrock has felt under pressure (maybe from himself) to get Phillips in the side.

Cressell is a passionate defender who is an old fashioned head and volley player, Phillips of course is the reigning POTY. I just wonder though, do there attacking threats mask over any defensive lack of form!!!

Personally, although I really like Cresswell and Phillips, I think dropping our form defender (Prosser) was a mistake and wonder whether we are missing him and his vocal presence and organiser at the back, even more so with a mute in goal.

Thoughts?

Prosser deserves his place at CB. Very vocal and encouraging the other players, he has got better and better and had formed a good partnership with Cresswell.

i have to agre prosser is confident, powerful and has a footballing brain and it really surprised me that he got dropped, i think our back four should be Clohessy,phillips, cresswell, and prosser. I know hes meant to be a centre mid but i think he looked great on the left. Ithink that Barkers great but PS plays him all the time because he wants his way to work and hes our captain. Barker should be a solidifying sub in the second half and play Prosser instead.

8 goals Conceeded in 3 games since Phillips has come back into the side. I must admit to wondering whether this is purely coincidence.

Yet again Prosser has fallen out of the team through no fault of his own. Feel sorry for him, he's done nothing wrong this season and seems to have developed a good partnership with Cresswell. It also helps that he's left-footed. I don't see why Phillips should've come into what was a settled defence who were doing very well during our unbeaten run.

Last edited:
I am a big Phillips fan but not sure Luggy should have changed anything at back, other than Barker who I personally think is the weakest link although you could never fault his effort.

Prefer him at left back than barker at the moment! Added height really helps! No long switched passes because he will easily cut them out!

Bring back pross.

Prosser has done very well at CB recently and certainly rather him over Phillips and/or Cresswell, which says alot. He got a tad unlucky with the OG, but apart from that he's been excellent for us. Not too keen on him at LB but does a job as Barker is knocking on and obviously cant play every game.

Jam Man, I would say the same on paper, however form wise I think Prosser is playing better than Creswell (defensiveley) despite the Cressys goals.

Also, Phillips looks a little off the pace at the moment to me. He came into the side off the back of no game time.

Seconded, without wanting to start moaning but I fear that Cresswell is glorified somewhat by his goalscoring exploits. He is decent but has his flaws, I am not getting on his back and I am chuffed that he is a Southend player BUT I can maybe see why Fatpants Evans maybe had his doubts.

Phillips lacks sharpness and also lives a little of his goals from the first half of last season.

Sorry my personal feeling is a very average centre back. We miss Tam a lot more than defender on the books.

Prosser has been very unlucky to be dropped IMO.
Just thinking though with Tam gone and Laird out for a while , is it not worth trying him in front of the back four ?
He is defensive minded , so shouldn't get caught too far up the pitch , and will certainly give a good effort and get stuck in.
I realise you need much more than those attributes to be a success in that position , but we aren't blessed with options right now.

Prosser has been very unlucky to be dropped IMO.
Just thinking though with Tam gone and Laird out for a while , is it not worth trying him in front of the back four ?
He is defensive minded , so shouldn't get caught too far up the pitch , and will certainly give a good effort and get stuck in.
I realise you need much more than those attributes to be a success in that position , but we aren't blessed with options right now.

Sweeping up in front of the back four. Good idea and could work.

I don't think Prosser is comfortable enough on the ball to play anywhere in midfield.

He was unlucky to be dropped from centre half where he is best with his no nonsense defensive abilities. I certainly believe it has been his best spell at the club so far.

I don't think Prosser is comfortable enough on the ball to play anywhere in midfield.

He was unlucky to be dropped from centre half where he is best with his no nonsense defensive abilities. I certainly believe it has been his best spell at the club so far.

I beg to differ. Luke always seems comfortable on the ball and if he has an outlet will play a simple ball to feet. It's when he plays LB and has no help whatsoever he has to hit long into the channels. Sitting in front of the back four will give a bit more time on the ball and abit less pressure. I'd give him a go there

I can agree that Luke has been better this season; I also prefer Phillips to him as centre back and I think Barker is a better left back. Cressie has been lucky not to get more spotlight on his performances; when he has a good game he is super BUT he has had a few stinkers yet not been ripped apart while others have (for example his own goal header that Smith took flak for but Cressie got no/little comment on).
I can see that Barks might play as the back of a diamond midfield as he reads the game well; which might give Luke a place BUT defending starts from the front to the back and we concede more when we haven't got a midfield that controls the game which is the situation pre Tam and Laird and one which we are back to now.

What are the alternatives with the present squad ?
Please don't say Leonard.

Back