• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mahers vs East Black Supporter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 21 2005,13:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 21 2005,10:13)]I think the club will have to appeal over Eastwood's red card, an I think they've got a good case. We need him for upcoming games, and what with the goat only being used sparingly, a three match suspension could hit us hard.
I'm sorry but I'll repeat, and embellish, what I said earlier (maybe on another thread). You CANNOT raise your hands to anybody, whether you make contact or not, whether provoked or not or whether a decision went your way or not. The fault does NOT lie with Saturday's referee (for the sending off anyway). The fault lies with other referees being to weak to follow the letter of the law.
So why didn't the ref send that Huddersfield player off after he reacted to Maher's challenge.

I think there's no point in appealing. Freddy raised his hands and pushed an opponent. Doesn't matter how hard or how soft he did it. His intention was there. That's what people misinterpret sometimes. Intent. Freddy knew what he was doing and I'm sorry to say he deserved his red card and forthcoming ban.
Personally I think it will teach him a harsh but good lesson.
Nae worry...feed The Goat and he will score.

Another point about Abbots goal, was that he was booked for dissent a mere 30 seconds prior to his strike. Had he not of been, the ref may of penalised him for pushing Wilson, but seeing as he'd just booked him, he may not have wanted to incur his wrath further. I for one, as soon as Abbot got past Che, shouted for a foul as did a few others around me in the South Upper, but I think it was more in hope really. Exquisite finish though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Aug. 21 2005,08:10)]One other point. Someone was saying that a point against a team that will be up there at the end of the season with 10 men is a good result. I beg to differ. I thought Huddersfield were worse than Port Vale, they couldn't break us down with an extra player, and, more to the point, we were still the most likely team to score. When Eastwood got sent off, I truly believed that it would either end up 1-1 ot 2-1 to us. I simply didn't see Huddersfield getting anything out of the 2nd half. Frankly I think if they don't improve they will go down.
Sorry, completely disagree.

I thought Huddersfield looked a lot better than Port Vale. The only reason that they didn't win the game is that they lacked any composure up front when they were chasing the game. They had some very good chances, Darryl made some very good saves and there were some quality blocks.

In contrast, we played terribly against Port Vale and all they really did, from memory, was score the two goals and create the other chance that Lowndes missed from a yard. If we were playing some of the pass and move stuff we played yesterday against Port Vale, I'm certain ew would have won that game.

The key difference, though, was definitely Abbott. He has so much strength on the ball and a very good first touch. What really sets him apart though seems to be his footballing brain. Every time he would get the ball, he would check the position of his team mates and played some very smart touches that came off as well as several incisive ones that thankfully were just cut out. Good finish for the goal, low and hard across the keeper, as well. As if that was not enough, I've seen enough highlights of him to know he can hit them from range and was very worried at how much space we allowed him outside the box.

Port Vale probably looked better than they really are due to the fact we were so abject. Huddersfield looked useful. They passed it around very well and hit us on the break, but they did seem to have the Arsenal way of over playing in and around the box.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 21 2005,13:32)]I'm sorry but I'll repeat, and embellish, what I said earlier (maybe on another thread). You CANNOT raise your hands to anybody, whether you make contact or not, whether provoked or not or whether a decision went your way or not. The fault does NOT lie with Saturday's referee (for the sending off anyway). The fault lies with other referees being to weak to follow the letter of the law.
I was starting to think that i was in the minority here. I agree with ORM, Freddy had to go.

From where I was at the back of the East Black their player has knocked it out of play and gone over in the process and Freddy has caught him and gone over the top of him. For some reason Freddy has took it the wrong way and thought there was intent from the Huddersfield man. Having pushed him once maybe he would get away with a talking to from the ref or a yellow at worse. Twice was asking for a red though.

I think we need to take off our biased hats, if it had been the other way round and their player was doing the pushing we would all be arms up in a rage if he wasn't sent off. The ref did have a poor game it has to be said and it looks like League 1 refs are no better than the League 2 crap we've got used to.

As for whether we should have gone for the winner or not, I originally thought we should get the ball in the box from the corner and try and feed the goat as he was winning balls in the air but in hindsight playing keep ball in the corner was the best decision, no need for taking unnecessary risks when down to ten men.

A point against a good Huddersfield side is what I expected before the game. I think we should be looking for maximum points out of the next 2 league games and would conclude an excellent start to season IMP.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ Aug. 20 2005,17:55)]all i can persume is that mr stripey obviously had a go at maher..
ha ha,
good man himself

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 21 2005,21:19)]*yawn*
i love being back..
biggrin.gif

Back