• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Gower.

DTS

The Business
Whilst I am sure the bulk of the press coverage will go to Adam Barrett I personally thought G-Man had his best ever game for us.

Everything he did was dangerous and he ripped his marker to shreads so many times I lost count.

What impressed me most though was his fitness. As few years ago he was lucky to last 45 mins but I saw him sprint the full length of the pitch in th 89th mins..

Maher and Hammell were also immense today but Gower for me was out of this world.  
upside.gif

I'd agree that him and Maher probably had there best games (possibly) ever.

Have to agree with you there Dave. I too thought he had one of his best games in a Blues shirt but what impressed me more than any individuals performance today was the way in which we didn't sit back and try to defend either the one goal lead or when we went two up. We carried on pushing forward at every oportunity and you could see by the way the players went about their business that they had no intention of letting Sunderland back in the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2006,00:19)]Everything he did was dangerous and he ripped his market to shreads so many times I lost count.
Damn, where am I going to get my 10 bananas for £1 now?
tounge.gif

Even in the QPR Loss I was very impressed with Gower. He was one of the players I thought would be found out a this level due to lack of fitness/pace but I was mightily impressed by him in a below average team perfomance at QPR.

I'm a big Gower fan anyway, but one thing about him this year thats really impressed me has been his work-rate. He's never going to be able to cover as much of the field as JCR does, because he hasn't got the pace or the stamina that Jamal does, but his tracking-back this season has been on a different level to last year. He puts his foot in as much as any of our midfielders and he's won a lot of balls in the air, which is surpsising considering that that clearly isn't his natural game.

I thought he was the best player at QPR last week and had another good game today even if I'd put Maher and AB ahead of him.

Gower has surprised me this season. Like many, I thought he'd struggle to cope yet he's been one of our best players so far. Well done Mark.

Gower is way above JCR in terms of performance this year. He was superb yesterday and i thought was our best player, better than Maher and AB. He's obviously done a lot of work in the summer to get himself 100% fit and is raring to go this season.

Hat's off to him and lets hope he stays fit and keeps his form.

He was still getting back in the dying minutes of the game, to help defend, always available to have the ball when flavs wanted to throw out to the wing, good positioning, and through balls, long balls a different class yesturday. Long may this continue
biggrin.gif

Have to agree about Gower. He was excellent when he first joined us, but then went off the boil for about 18 months as he struggled with back and groin injuries.

Since he came back into the side last year as a fully fit player he has been superb.

yep, very assured performance yesterday.

hopefully if winchester shrimper is going to bournemouth on tuesday then gower doesn't play as WS has never seem gower have a good game!
wink.gif

To be honest, Its no surprise to me that Gower and Maher are having great games recently... People forget this isn't the highest level they have played at.

Whereas players like Freddy, Guttridge and Barrett will have to accustomise themselves to this standard and level, Gower, Maher and Clarke have all played Premiership football to a certain degree when they were young. At the youth academies at the Prem clubs, its drilled into them what needs to be done at that and similar levels and it almost become second nature.

I'm not saying Maher and Gower are better players... I believe once Freddy and Gutts find themselves at this level and learn whats to be expected here they'll be fantastic and pivotal to our success. But Maher and Gower already have that experience...

I think Gower has been immense every game he's played in so far, stoke, qpr, palace, sunderland. I thought he would struggle this year seeing he has no real pace but he has proved me wrong. One of our best players so far this season

Think Gower was excellent, and Maher, AB etc but also thought again that Flahavan was superb.. We'd be a much weaker side without him and the back 4 have confidence in him..

Yesterday was a great great day!!
biggrin.gif

I thought that Gower and Maher might play there better stuff as they get higher and the quality gets higher to. Just looking forward to Gower getting a ultimate goal now.

I was another who was very impressed with Gower again. He was probably my man of the match, closely followed by Maher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2006,00:19)]Whilst I am sure the bulk of the press coverage will go to Adam Barrett I personally thought G-Man had his best ever game for us.

Everything he did was dangerous and he ripped his marker to shreads so many times I lost count.

What impressed me most though was his fitness. As few years ago he was lucky to last 45 mins but I saw him sprint the full length of the pitch in th 89th mins..

Maher and Hammell were also immense today but Gower for me was out of this world.  
upside.gif
The only thing I would disagree with in that post is "G-Man"
rock.gif
tounge.gif

Back