• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ Aug. 20 2005,23:58)]We were really good until we scored and then sat back and paid the penalty. Che did not duck - he was held down.
Spot on Blue heavan with us playing well until we scored.  We knocked the ball about and showed great movement.  We got the goal and stopped playing.  I don't understand why so many people are going overboard about the performance.  Someone has suggested that we were all over them in the 1st half, they obviously weren't at the game.  I thought for the last 30 minutes of 1st half they were well on top.  

Our performance in the 2nd half was gutsy and we defended well, although they had good chances to win the match.

It wasn't our worst performance but after the opening quarter it was not good enough to take the points.

Other thoughts:

1.  Freddy getting sent off showed a lack of common sense by the ref and spoilt the game.  I was absolutely shocked when the red card came out.  Abbot shoots from the lip for 2 minutes and only gets a yellow, Freddy gets red.  Typical refereeing in the lower leagues - inconsistent.

2.  Confused about why everyone seems to be raving about Petts.  Didn't let the team down but didn't contribute towards any attacking play.  I think he has a valuable role in the squad but not when trying to break down div 1 defences.  He was solid but not spectacular and constantly refuses to cross the ball, beat his man or play early balls forward.  

3.  Guttridge coming off today - strange decision.  He was sharp and all over the pitch.  Both Petts and Gower were looking leggy when the change was made.  Bents needed to come on but not for Luke who was excellent.

I don't mean to sound negative about the boys because under the circumstances it wasn't a bad point.  I'm just surprised by some reaction on the board.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ Aug. 20 2005,23:58)]We were really good until we scored and then sat back and paid the penalty. Che did not duck - he was held down.
Che wasn't held down , as it was right in front on me, he was wrong footed by Abbott when he turned for goal.

I think you will find it will happen alot when you play a right footed player on the left side of the pitch, a natural left sided player will allways be able to stand his ground.

Have to agree with one of the ratings for Barrett, he does does seem to find it harder this season, and is not so composed, however the other side is he never gives gives up and like Prior last season, will improve with every game as the seaon progresses

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ Aug. 20 2005,23:58)]We were really good until we scored and then sat back and paid the penalty.
Errr? Us sitting back was more to do with Huddersfield upping a gear or two. It's impossible at any level of football to dominate and control a game for the full 90 minutes.

I thought Freddy over-reacted, but in similar situations some players haven't even been booked for that sort of behaviour. I thought the ref dealt with the situation really badly, and the way he separated the two players was a disgrace. From where I was sitting, in the south blues, it looked as though the ref raised his elbow to Eastwood. After that though Southend picked up tempo of the game, but not sure whether it was the right decision by Goater/Maher to confine the ball to the corner in the closing stages, when we could have gone all out for the win.

Had a great view of the sending off incident as I was in the East Blacks right next to it.

I was amazed when he sent him off because there was nothing to it. Didn't even think it was a freekick initially. All Eastwood did was push him in the chest and it was certainly not a shove.

Anyone who watched Arsenal Chelsea will have seen Ashley Cole do exactly the same and avoid a booking.

That said

We have come out of the game with a point and we all know that these things have happened in our favour in the past (Paul Alcock's several appearances, Abdou Sall for Kiddy last year).

I also think Tilly has been very smart indeed with it. I don't think he felt it should have been a red but he knows full well that it will stand as Freddy raised his hands. Rather than defending the player, he's probably placed a hurdle in Eastwood's footballing development and asked him to hurdle it. It'll hurt not playing and if Gray can keep up his excellent form and the Goat comes in and makes an impact, this will be something he has to deal with.

I think he'll be a better player for it personally because it should help him control his temperament. If your star striker is going to get suspended, it might as well be when he's out of form!!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 22 2005,01:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 21 2005,18:35)]If your star striker is going to get suspended,
Hang on a minute. Is Gray suspended as well then ?

laugh.gif
Don't joke about things like that!

sad.gif
ghostface.gif

Back