• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours McLaughlin to Mansfield

If he wants to go, then let him go, to inconsistent for me anyway, ok chips in with the odd important goal but this will free up wages, it’s if we can get in a suitable replacement b4 start of the season.

There in lies the issue, we are under an embargo till mid to late July, even then it only goes away of HMRC have been
Question- does it go away 22nd July or whatever it is when HMRC dismiss or who we pay if earlier?

In any event if season stats 12th Sept then 22nd July leaves over 7 weeks - and of course people can be lined up prior.

Question- does it go away 22nd July or whatever it is when HMRC dismiss or who we pay if earlier?

In any event if season stats 12th Sept then 22nd July leaves over 7 weeks - and of course people can be lined up prior.
As far as i knew the embargo was for HMRC, so as I understand things (very rudimentary of course) then if they are settled the embargo will be lifted. I am sure if we want to, and are able too, then we can pay earlier, form then it is down to HMRC (again as I understand things) to inform the league and the courts that the matter has been dealt with and satisfied.

If McL is offered meaningfully more he will probably go but he is as has been said very settled in the area and Mansfield might not be very attractive unless its an offer he feels he can't refuse. At 30 length of contract might be important as well- a 2 year contract verses a 1 might become more important.

FWIW whilst McL might not have the lightening pace to go past people his delivery is decent and he is prep good in the air. He played OK in a 10 last year, can play either side in a up front 3 or wide in a midfield 4. So his flexibility might also be a plus. I have always felt defensively he is pretty disciplined and again good in the air defensively. Overall I would like him to stay for all these reasons but in the current climate he is likely far from unreplacable..

If McL is offered meaningfully more he will probably go but he is as has been said very settled in the area and Mansfield might not be very attractive unless its an offer he feels he can't refuse. At 30 length of contract might be important as well- a 2 year contract verses a 1 might become more important.

FWIW whilst McL might not have the lightening pace to go past people his delivery is decent and he is prep good in the air. He played OK in a 10 last year, can play either side in a up front 3 or wide in a midfield 4. So his flexibility might also be a plus. I have always felt defensively he is pretty disciplined and again good in the air defensively. Overall I would like him to stay for all these reasons but in the current climate he is likely far from unreplacable..

I would agree with this assessment, but would point out that everyone is currently unreplaceable until we are able to get the embargo lifted - and as we found out with the Macclesfield lads that's far from a formality.

There is a very real danger that if experienced players walk we won't be able to replace them.

I have always felt defensively he is pretty disciplined and again good in the air defensively. Overall I would like him to stay for all these reasons but in the current climate he is likely far from unreplacable..

I'm afraid my view of Macca defensively is different. He is quite good when he is there, but he is incredibly lazy at tracking back and taking up his position. Sometimes he does it brilliantly, but not all the time and often just goes missing.

Personally I’ll understand if he goes but will be slightly gutted it’s Mansfield not a L1 team. I liked Macca when he first arrived, started to like him again last season when he got his act together and started to care again. He’s a class player with a great shot on him .. and unlike some senior players I’ll wish him good luck. One of the rare moments of joy in that pile of **** season was his goal at Blackpool, his acknowledgment of the fans and then his song being sung.

Last edited:
Personally I’ll understand if he goes but will be slightly gutted it’s Mansfield not a L1 team. I liked Macca when he first arrived, started to like him again last season when he got his act together, sorted his **** out and started to care again. He’s a class player with a great shot on him .. and unlike some senior players I’ll wish him good luck. One of the rare moments of joy in that pile of **** season was his goal at Blackpool, his acknowledgment of the fans and then his song being sung.

I would understand though, maybe he likes the area from his time back in Forest. They will 100% pay more money and he is more likely to get paid on time there. Coughlan is the manager and I can imagine he would be happy to work for him. Whereas currently he has no idea who could be the manager. I think he should probably wait to see who is the manager before making a decision but if he waits too long that offer may disappear.

I would understand though, maybe he likes the area from his time back in Forest. They will 100% pay more money and he is more likely to get paid on time there. Coughlan is the manager and I can imagine he would be happy to work for him. Whereas currently he has no idea who could be the manager. I think he should probably wait to see who is the manager before making a decision but if he waits too long that offer may disappear.
Yes would 100% understand from his point of view.

I do worry that Mansfield may be overreaching financially but I guess we aren't in a position to judge in that respect

I do worry that Mansfield may be overreaching financially but I guess we aren't in a position to judge in that respect

Their owner seems to be happy throwing money at the club. Don’t really know much about his background.

According to their forum terms for Macca have been agreed,so likely he will become their 4th signing Coughlan certainly building a team

According to their forum terms for Macca have been agreed,so likely he will become their 4th signing Coughlan certainly building a team

I never liked Mansfield but I like Coughlan so want him to do well.

Back