• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC;1900778[B said:
]Interestingly I thought one of the reasons why we were excellent against Millwall was because Cox wasn't in the side.[/B] We won the ball so much more in the opposition half and I am yet to see any evidence Cox can offer us that. Not doubting that he has ability on the ball but without it he has offered practically nothing so far.

I can assure you that Cox is a different class finisher to Mooney. He's unlucky that he's come to a club where the only striking partner that suits him got injured 20 minutes into that partnership. He's also not been fed from midfield which is what he needs. He's just seeing the ball passed across to the wingers or overlapping fullbacks all the time, and they cross it to him(Wasted). He's not the type to get on the end of crosses. In training the midfielders actually pass the ball forward, he smashes them in for fun.

I don't think I'd want him back, I rarely want any Southend player to come back, they are a part of a time I attach to the club and to see them return with new team mates/managers etc is a bit weird.

I do think though that in 2010/11, when we had a whole new squad, new staff and there were a lot of off-field problems, he gave us something to get off our seats for. He was an enigma but he was committed, unpredictable and exciting. If I am lucky enough to live until I am 80 or 90 years old I still reckon he will be in my top 10 most memorable players. These sort of characters do not come along very often.

As time goes by, we forget the red cards, the quarrels and the fact he disappeared to France for a few months and mugged us all off a bit. For me he was a genuinely exciting player and was so until he believed his own hype. I still chuckle when I think of some of his antics, he was an entertainer if nothing else.

There isn't one day of the week when I wouldn't have Bilel back.

Like Kevin Pietersen he needs to be properly managed.

Andrew Strauss done a brilliant job with Pietersen. By making sure he never played again it improved the whole team.

Andrew Strauss done a brilliant job with Pietersen. By making sure he never played again it improved the whole team.

Clearly You failed to watch the World 2020 Finals in Bangladesh in 2014.

The only time Strauss done a brilliant job was this week on Yorkshire by preventing Root, Bairstow and Rashid from playing against his chums at Middlesex.

Typically disgraceful behaviour and another wrong call for cricket.

The only time Strauss done a brilliant job was this week on Yorkshire by preventing Root, Bairstow and Rashid from playing against his chums at Middlesex.

Moshni and to a lesser extent Pieterson, could have both achieved more in their chosen careers but only have themselves to blame.

If your job comes with the term Professional, then you need to have some self discipline, rather than blame any of your managers.

Moshni and to a lesser extent Pieterson, could have both achieved more in their chosen careers but only have themselves to blame.

If your job comes with the term Professional, then you need to have some self discipline, rather than blame any of your managers.

Very true indeed.

Westham released one guy I know...this guy was one damn good footballer....WH deemed him too small .......He drifted into the non league scene playing for several clubs and did OK with part time wages...in fact one of the chairman was so desperate to sign him he gave him a second hand Range Rover and £750 pw part time.

The player then discovered booze birds and drugs and hung up his boots aged 27.

Just imagine the Roots Hall Tannoy....

"And here is the Colchester United team....Number 6, Bilel Mohsni..." Ooh er!

Very true indeed.

Westham released one guy I know...this guy was one damn good footballer....WH deemed him too small .......He drifted into the non league scene playing for several clubs and did OK with part time wages...in fact one of the chairman was so desperate to sign him he gave him a second hand Range Rover and £750 pw part time.

The player then discovered booze birds and drugs and hung up his boots aged 27.

Well just look at Ravel Morrison. Gifted player, stupid brain! Football is littered with them.

I can assure you that Cox is a different class finisher to Mooney. He's unlucky that he's come to a club where the only striking partner that suits him got injured 20 minutes into that partnership. He's also not been fed from midfield which is what he needs. He's just seeing the ball passed across to the wingers or overlapping fullbacks all the time, and they cross it to him(Wasted). He's not the type to get on the end of crosses. In training the midfielders actually pass the ball forward, he smashes them in for fun.

Agree with all what say. What i haven't been impressed with is his effort/work rate and is not on his toes so to speak. I don't expect him to win balls in the air against giant defenders but he doesn't make it difficult for them. As you say the way we play does not suit him but then he needs to adapt and make himself more available for the ball too, it works both ways. He could drop deeper which he has done a little and make runs out wide which i've yet to see him do. Still hopeful he will come good though this season. I agree that with the right partner upfront things may then click.

Last edited by a moderator:

In fairness, Root is centrally contracted and told to rest by the England set-up, monitored by health and fitness coaches, so it wasn't a lone decision by Strauss.

Rashid was given permission to play, but chose not to, much to Andrew Gale's annoyance.

Bairstow is a different matter. He isn't centrally contracted and wanted to play, but was told he couldn't. He was at Lords yesterday with his children and wasn't happy, himself. Whether that can be laid at Strauss' door entirely, I'm not sure, but was a baffling and wrong decision, IMHO.

KP was an egotistical idiot, though wasn't treated fairly by Colin Graves, who went back on a promise to him.

Agree with all what say. What i haven't been impressed with is his effort/work rate and is not on his toes so to speak. I don't expect him to win balls in the air against giant defenders in the air but he doesn't make it difficult for them. As you say the way we play does not suit him but then he needs to adapt and make himself more available for the ball too, it works both ways. He could drop deeper which he has done a little and make runs out wide which i've yet to see him do. Still hopeful he will come good though this season. I agree that with the right partner upfront things may then click.

Cox look's overweight and far too lazy without the ball for my money.

Time will tell if he becomes another big name waste or does the business.

Cox look's overweight and far too lazy without the ball for my money.

Time will tell if he becomes another big name waste or does the business.

He's always been that size as he's not the type of striker that's full of stamina, and will bust a gut and burn the calories. If he had that to his game he would be in a higher League. He has been getting very frustrated, because when he does make a run and find space, the ball goes out wide as usual. All I can tell you is that he is the deadliest striker I have seen in training for many years, even deadlier than Freddy Eastwood. He has a really powerful accurate shot on him most of the time. He's not in the right team to shine, and our tactics couldn't be worse for him. But when he was played with Ranger at Sheffield United, he came alive as the ball was played through the middle more to them both. Also he knew that Ranger would win it in the air and flick it on to him. He said he loved it and was gutted when Ranger had to go off. So I would say give him a chance, wait to see what happens when partnered with Ranger, and meanwhile Phil Brown needs to find a way to feed him to feet in or around the penalty area, because he's being wasted at the moment.

He's always been that size as he's not the type of striker that's full of stamina, and will bust a gut and burn the calories. If he had that to his game he would be in a higher League. He has been getting very frustrated, because when he does make a run and find space, the ball goes out wide as usual. All I can tell you is that he is the deadliest striker I have seen in training for many years, even deadlier than Freddy Eastwood. He has a really powerful accurate shot on him most of the time. He's not in the right team to shine, and our tactics couldn't be worse for him. But when he was played with Ranger at Sheffield United, he came alive as the ball was played through the middle more to them both. Also he knew that Ranger would win it in the air and flick it on to him. He said he loved it and was gutted when Ranger had to go off. So I would say give him a chance, wait to see what happens when partnered with Ranger, and meanwhile Phil Brown needs to find a way to feed him to feet in or around the penalty area, because he's being wasted at the moment.

Training and an actual match are worlds apart !

His last 48'appearances have yielded 2 goals from open play and one pen !...3 goals ain't too clever.

Training and an actual match are worlds apart !

His last 48'appearances have yielded 2 goals from open play and one pen !...3 goals ain't too clever.

Figures like that don't always tell the story. By his own admission he lost his way because of not getting regular first team appearances. You are talking about higher Leagues and lots of substitute appearances. Notts Forest paid 2 Million Pounds for him, so he can't be that bad. Last time in this League he had more or less a 1 goal in every 2 games ratio for Swindon.

Figures like that don't always tell the story. By his own admission he lost his way because of not getting regular first team appearances. You are talking about higher Leagues and lots of substitute appearances. Notts Forest paid 2 Million Pounds for him, so he can't be that bad. Last time in this League he had more or less a 1 goal in every 2 games ratio for Swindon.

He lost his way,maybe he should lose some timber,that may help him get round the pitch better:winking:

Back