• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

More local restaurant reviews.....

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
IL Torrente, Benfleet.

Food OK but overpriced and I think they are trying to cash in on an upmarket South Benfleet clientele. They didn't have Amaretto which is odd for an Italian restaurant and I saw them make an Irish coffee and stir the cream in. Don't think they will be around long unless they up their game and drop their prices.

Anatolian - Benfleet.

Reminded me of the sort of place you get in tourist resorts on the Med apart from the fact it is freezing inside and you get a blast of cold air every time someone walks through the door. This happens quite often because there is a takeaway counter At the front of the premises. Food was just OK and my iskander kebab was very greasy. I wouldn't return but it is packed a lot of the time. Strangely most of the male diners looked like Gregg Wallace. My clothes stank of lamb fat and grilled meat afterwards so don't wear anything nice.

Henry Burgers, Southend

Located in the old Sun Rooms/Going Bros fishing tackle, knife, black widow catapult and ninja throwing star shop which also used to be a morgue back in the day.

Burger and fries was about £13 but really tasty and decent portion size. Cocktails and craft beers are also served and whilst pricey are decent quality. I had a few Hawaiian beers which were great. Our table of four spent about two hundred quid but most of that was on drink and we went fairly large. The music was great with mainly 80's electro and soul. Not cheap but great food and a decent night out.

Last edited:
Il Torrente, so I'm told, also don't have veal on the menu, which, for a top Italian restaurant, is pretty strange. Everyone I know that's used the Anatolian has been full of praise, yours are the first disparaging remarks I've heard.

Il Torrente, so I'm told, also don't have veal on the menu, which, for a top Italian restaurant, is pretty strange. Everyone I know that's used the Anatolian has been full of praise, yours are the first disparaging remarks I've heard.

Well my meal wasn't great and I have eaten enough kebabs in my time to know what I am talking about.

Probably squeamish types who won't eat it.

Taco Ria on Chichester road. Went there for lunch before Saturday's game - if you like Mexican food, give it a try. The baja fish tacos were excellent.

Aspera at Tarpots in Benfleet wasn't open when this was last used prior to Uncle Leo's comment. Taking over and totally refurbishing the interior into an upmarket and hugely successful Turkish restaurant has proved this to be a goldmine. Fully booked most nights and some lunch times, if you want a really nice Turkish meal, do give this a try. Fantastic cocktails as well. Highly recommended.

Billy Hundreds Eastern Esplanade...Bl00dy marvellous, ..Tapas and a specials menu most days, Breakfast is not cheap but quality. love the place

Tratatoria Verdi - Thorpe bay station , good Italian , becoming very popular. The Grill restaurant on the same premises does not seen anywhere near as popular, but does a decent steak or fancy burger

Pasta Pia, Southend and Chalkwell

Cheap tasty Italian street food served out on cardboard trays. You can take your own booze as well. Good atmosphere and puts most full price Italian places in the area to shame.

Aspera at Tarpots in Benfleet wasn't open when this was last used prior to Uncle Leo's comment. Taking over and totally refurbishing the interior into an upmarket and hugely successful Turkish restaurant has proved this to be a goldmine. Fully booked most nights and some lunch times, if you want a really nice Turkish meal, do give this a try. Fantastic cocktails as well. Highly recommended.

Good food, quite expensive and a slightly TOWIE clientele. clientele.

Now called Gambero D'Oro.

Translation - Golden Prawn.

Good food, quite expensive and a slightly TOWIE clientele. clientele.

As opposed to the old Pied Piper on the Ridgeway in Chalkwell, which is very expensive and crap food for a supposedly high class Turkish!

Thought Il Palazzo in West Road was pretty good last Saturday night.Good pre or aftermatch venue.Staggering distance from the West Road Tap too. :smile:

We've had an early meal in Il Palazzo on the way to a night game before and it's always been good, service and food.

Just had lunch at Lower Barn Cafe in Rayleigh - hugely disappointed. Vile greasy, slimy chips with ham and eggs and a pretty uninspired Welsh rarebit.

Vita Bella, East Hanningfield.

We have been many times and never had a bad meal. Fantastic food and some of the best service we have had at a restaurant. Lots of selection of food on the menu and they also do a set meal on certain days for dinner during the week and lunch time weekends. Me and my fiancée have recommended the restaurant to so many people. If you intend on booking any day, I would advise you to book well in advance. I think it is number 1 on TripAdvisor within the Chelmsford area.

All I can add to this is I had a meal in the Bull Inn, in Hockley. Was jolly nice.

Vita Bella, East Hanningfield.

We have been many times and never had a bad meal. Fantastic food and some of the best service we have had at a restaurant. Lots of selection of food on the menu and they also do a set meal on certain days for dinner during the week and lunch time weekends. Me and my fiancée have recommended the restaurant to so many people. If you intend on booking any day, I would advise you to book well in advance. I think it is number 1 on TripAdvisor within the Chelmsford area.

Hmmm...not heard of that one, we'll have to have a look into that.

Back