• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just top Magnum with 142 grounds watching Southend United (does not include any friendlies).

Since going to my first away game back in the day, I have missed the opportunity of adding 6 more, namely Barrow, Wealdstone, Manchester City (Maine Road), Newcastle United, Wigan (DW Stadium), and Bolton (Macron Stadium). The Man City and Wealdstone grounds have both now gone, but I hope to notch the other 4 at some point, plus the other 9 grounds we have yet to play in the current 92 (Magnum missed out the London Stadium).

Less said about that anomaly the better... When they are back in lower reaches of Championship with 10,000 fans in it, maybe they will try and get a free ride at Orient's ex-league stadium :)

So... we haven't ever played at

Old Trafford (Manchester United)
Villa Park (Aston Villa)
Cardiff Stadium (Cardiff City)
London Stadium (West Ham)
AMEX Stadium (Brighton)
The Hive (Barnet)
Riverside Stadium (Middlesbrough)
Etihad Stadium (Man City)
Emirates Stadium (Arsenal)
Madjeski Stadium (Reading)

so.. if there are 10 that I cannot ever have seen, that must mean the 6 I have already done without Southend, but I need to do with Southend are...

Bloomfield Road (Blackpool)
Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
I-Pro Stadium (Derby)
Ewood Park (Blackburn)
Anfield (Liverpool)
St Andrews (Birmingham)

An eye on them then...

so.. if there are 10 that I cannot ever have seen, that must mean the 6 I have already done without Southend, but I need to do with Southend are...

I-Pro Stadium (Derby)
Ewood Park (Blackburn)
Anfield (Liverpool)
St Andrews (Birmingham)

An eye on them then...

Getting promoted this season would be helpful Phil!!

All very impressive and I can't compete. But am I the only person on here who has seen Southend United play Bradford Park Avenue away? This was the 1969-70 season, the last one I believe in which Bradford PA played.

I-Pro Stadium (Derby)
Ewood Park (Blackburn)
Anfield (Liverpool)
St Andrews (Birmingham)

An eye on them then...

That's interesting because I have seen 5 of your "missing 6" ....... Liverpool being the ground that I haven't seen Southend at but would love to be there. Surely a cup run of some sort is our best opportunity?

I just top Magnum with 142 grounds watching Southend United (does not include any friendlies).

Since going to my first away game back in the day, I have missed the opportunity of adding 6 more, namely Barrow, Wealdstone, Manchester City (Maine Road), Newcastle United, Wigan (DW Stadium), and Bolton (Macron Stadium). The Man City and Wealdstone grounds have both now gone, but I hope to notch the other 4 at some point, plus the other 9 grounds we have yet to play in the current 92 (Magnum missed out the London Stadium).
City were so slow at getting fans into Maine Road that you probably only missed half a game there!

I have been to 80 of the current 92 league grounds with Southend if I include our youth cup game at Anfield.

Have also been to Brighton, Reading, Cardiff, Man City, West Ham, Bolton & Barnet with the mighty Shrimpers but not at their current grounds.

I have been to 80 of the current 92 league grounds with Southend if I include our youth cup game at Anfield.

Have also been to Brighton, Reading, Cardiff, Man City, West Ham, Bolton & Barnet with the mighty Shrimpers but not at their current grounds.

I have seen Southend at the following league grounds that no longer exist.

Sunderland
Stoke
Colchester
Middlesborough
Rotherham (2 grounds there :smile:)
Doncaster
Wigan
Cardiff
Chesterfield
Bristol Rovers
Oxford
Northampton Town
Leicester
Hull

......... but not the old Derby, Coventry, Huddersfield, Shrewsbury, Bolton, Millwall, ManCity, Swansea or Scunthorpe grounds.

It strikes me that a lot of Northern teams have moved grounds over the last 20 years or so.

Villa Park (Aston Villa)
AMEX Stadium (Brighton)
The Hive (Barnet)

Villa Park could be a strong possibility one way or another next season:winking:

Arsenal were called Dial Square at first.

They were relegated in 1913 but the First World War started before the football season of 1914. When the league re-started, Arsenal were left in the top division so, although relegated officially, they never played in Division Two.
Arsenal finished 5th in Div 2 the season after they were relegated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914–15_in_English_football
However when football resumed after the war they were part of the new first division, with 2 extra teams, rather than not relegate the normal two and just have two promoted , the FA relegated one team Spurs and promoted 3 those finishing 1st 2nd and 5th.
The Arsenal Chairman Henry Norris, took over in 1910 at Woolwich Arsenal after they went into liquidation, whilst still chairman of Fulham , he tried to merge the two clubs to create a London FC, it failed so he moved them to North London in 1913
He then was accused of bribing football league officials to get into the first division , He was eventually Banned from football in 1925 for Defrauding expenses and making irregular payments to players to persuade them to Join Arsenal.

Basically they were a S&*** south London club, with poor crowds until they were bankrolled by a corrupt chairman

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...irst-arsenal-enemy-who-would-be-king-highbury

:off topic:

I've got 15 of the 91 clubs to do, but have done 16 conference and conference north (surprisingly I've been to more conference north than conference south).

I've seen us play against all current league clubs except Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton. It would be nice to have a cup run to remedy this.

No idea which grounds are now out of date though.

Not many probably around double figures!

off the top of my head
Roots Hall
Adams Park
Abbey Stadium
Wembley
Millennium Stadium
White Hart Lane
Upton Park
Stadium MK
New Lodge (Billericay)
Underhill

118 Grounds watching Southend - this includes all grounds where we have a played a recognised competitive first team fixtures It does not include friendlies either as a supporter or match official.
133 League Grounds - Any ground that was ever a league ground, even if not watching Southend
87 of the current 92 League clubs I have seen Southend play at (Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, Man United and, bizarrely, QPR being the missing ones)
75 of the current 92 league stadiums I have seen Southend play at

I have seen all 92 English League clubs play a home fixture in the League, League Cup or FA Cup and of the new grounds I've yet to tick off 8 (Man C, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Reading, Derby and Middlesbrough - though strangely I have visited them all for non football stuff). I've also visited all the current Scottish League grounds (on my honeymoon too.)

Only your 133 LEague GRounds that I can get quite close to K.,with 120.Hope you've included the likes of Kidderminster Harriers,Hereford and Rushden and Diamonds.

Only your 133 LEague GRounds that I can get quite close to K.,with 120.Hope you've included the likes of Kidderminster Harriers,Hereford and Rushden and Diamonds.
Correction,I'm actually closer with my 80 current league grounds visited.

All very impressive and I can't compete. But am I the only person on here who has seen Southend United play Bradford Park Avenue away? This was the 1969-70 season, the last one I believe in which Bradford PA played.
Gary, I was at the above match when we were beaten 1-0 with a goal by Tony Woolmer on Jan.17th.1970. This was our only away defeat to Bradford Park Avenue in Division 4. I was also present the previous three seasons after relegation in 1966. Our results away were as follows:-1966-67.won 2-1(Derek Woodley & Ray Smith); 1967-68.won 1-0(Phil Chisnall); 1968-69.won 3-0(Ian"Chico"Hamilton(2)Gary Moore.
I can say also that there are quite a few people either on Shrimperzone or not(i.e.Charlie Benson & quite a few others that are still going to this day)that were at the game in our debut season of 1966-67 as this was the start of the Youth Section with Peter Butler who was running coaches to away matches.

Gary, I was at the above match when we were beaten 1-0 with a goal by Tony Woolmer on Jan.17th.1970. This was our only away defeat to Bradford Park Avenue in Division 4. I was also present the previous three seasons after relegation in 1966. Our results away were as follows:-1966-67.won 2-1(Derek Woodley & Ray Smith); 1967-68.won 1-0(Phil Chisnall); 1968-69.won 3-0(Ian"Chico"Hamilton(2)Gary Moore.
I can say also that there are quite a few people either on Shrimperzone or not(i.e.Charlie Benson & quite a few others that are still going to this day)that were at the game in our debut season of 1966-67 as this was the start of the Youth Section with Peter Butler who was running coaches to away matches.
Ah yes Bradford Park Avenue. I only started going to away matches in 1970/71 so I never went there, although I saw them in the three preceding seasons at Roots Hall.
Ironically in 1973 (about the time they folded), I went to Bradford University and my Hall of Residence was three minutes walk from Park Avenue. The ground remained until around 1980, and we used to find ways of climbing in to see how derelict it was becoming. Next door was the cricket ground where Yorkshire continued to play up until the last few years, and I remember seeing them play India there in May 1974 (no guesses as to which side had most support!). Happy days.

Villa Park (Aston Villa)
AMEX Stadium (Brighton)
The Hive (Barnet)

Thanks Magnum....so Arsenal must be the only team we have not played in a competitive match...I have seen us play Arsenal in a couple of friendlies down the years?

promotion could knock of another 3 or 4 of these...

with all all the new grounds I count it as long as you have seen a team at their home ground whether currrent or old stadium and they are currently reside in the football league than that counts

Back