• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Right, so we have had a million threads recently asking for the most...... whatever you can think of, so as it's Friday afternoon, and I have never done one of these before, I thought I would put a slightly different slant on things.

I am interested to know what people consider to class as their most exciting game at Roots Hall prior to Tilly and Brush taking over. There have been so many exciting moments in the last 3/4 years, that it's almost difficult to remember some of the momentous games that preceeded this period.

Anyway, my starter for 10 would be the FA Cup game against Northampton Town at Roots Hall back in December 1986 - the match finished 4-4, with the great RC scoring a hat trick (not the reason I chose it, honest!), and it was an absolute classic, end to end game with almost everyone just abandoning any attempts to defend.... And the weather was awful, absolutely peeing down for the 90 minutes!

Such an exciting game, that there was an old boy who used to sit next to us in the East Stand, and that night he went through an entire hip flask of whisky to calm his nerves... We didn't see him for a few months after that match, and when he returned, he told us later that night he had suffered a heart attack, almost certainly brought on by the excitement of that match! Still he lived to tell the tale!!

Wonderful night.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

The Newport comeback
Spurs at Home
Liverpool (natch)
Wet spam

are the obvious ones
I would go for Richard Cadettes debut , Bolton at home 5-3 or the two high scoring FA cup ties in '69

Right, so we have had a million threads recently asking for the most...... whatever you can think of, so as it's Friday afternoon, and I have never done one of these before, I thought I would put a slightly different slant on things.

I am interested to know what people consider to class as their most exciting game at Roots Hall prior to Tilly and Brush taking over. There have been so many exciting moments in the last 3/4 years, that it's almost difficult to remember some of the momentous games that preceeded this period.

Anyway, my starter for 10 would be the FA Cup game against Northampton Town at Roots Hall back in December 1986 - the match finished 4-4, with the great RC scoring a hat trick (not the reason I chose it, honest!), and it was an absolute classic, end to end game with almost everyone just abandoning any attempts to defend.... And the weather was awful, absolutely peeing down for the 90 minutes!

Such an exciting game, that there was an old boy who used to sit next to us in the East Stand, and that night he went through an entire hip flask of whisky to calm his nerves... We didn't see him for a few months after that match, and when he returned, he told us later that night he had suffered a heart attack, almost certainly brought on by the excitement of that match! Still he lived to tell the tale!!

Wonderful night.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

I was sitting in the east stand reds for this game and had just lit up a king edward cigar when we scored to go 3-2 up and the bloke in front jumped up and initially leaned back, and stubbed my cigar out on the back of his overcoat!. There were enough sparks to do credit to a firework display.

i liked barry frys return with birmingham

There's a circus in the town in the town
Bary Fry is the clown is the clown
Karen Bradey is a F***ing W***e
Birmingham are going down going down

Southend 3 Spurs 2, I'll never forget Crown hitting the post in the last minute of extra-time, so close to knocking them out gazza and all!

I was at the 4-4 against Northampton but can't really remember it.

Far to many to mention but SUFC 4 Newcastle 0 to take us to the top of the old DIV 2 if my memory serves me well

the halifax 4-1 for me as well or the games where macclesfield got their keeper off i am not old enough to remember being top of the second flight for 3 hours

There's a circus in the town in the town
Bary Fry is the clown is the clown
Karen Bradey is a F***ing W***e
Birmingham are going down going down

Have to go for this one too, atmosphere at the Hall was amazing, truly a Roman Coliseum occasion, baying for the blood of Bazza. When David Howell ran up to the North Bank with the Brum players prior to kick off, the raw hatred was tangible. Without the fences, several people would have hopped on I'm certain. We played far better than 3-1 as well, it was a real drubbing and should have been 5 or 6.

The Karen Brady chant was adopted by my works footie team on a tour of Sweatyland, and really thrilled the other punters on the train up from Kings Cross.

The 4-4 Northampton is one for me too, but I think that there are two other contenders.

One is the 3-2 win against Spurs in the League Cup. The other, purely for the tension would be the 1-0 FA Cup replay win vs Watford in the 78/79 season. 15000+ at RH knowing the victors would be playing the mighty Liverpool at home. With my brother being a glory hunting Liverpool fan, he was more nervous than I was, despite Andy Polycarpou's (sp) winner. Hanging on to that lead was unbearable!

Needless to say the game vs Liverpool at RH was exciting, just for the one on ones between Derrick "F**king useless ******" Parker & Ray Clemence. I thought being young & green that Parker had a very long name, as that was what I heard him being called several times that night!!

How can anybody pick out one game, especially after watching SUFC for over 30 years?!!

Southend United 3 - 2 Luton Town.

Tes Bramble scoring an overhead kick to seal a 3-2 win. If I remember correctly, we where 1-0 and 2-1 down in this match. Rawle and Bramble upfront looked like worldbeaters that day.

when we beat rushden, we scored 4 goals and searle scorles a peach of a volley from just past the half way line

Southend 3 Preston 2 c.1990 (?)

Preston scored a last minute penalty that appeared to steal a point that they never deserved. A last second stunning long range goal from John Cornwell stole it back for us, straight into the North Bank top corner from 30 yards and the entire place e x p l o d e d. Biggest North Bank surge I ever experienced carried me from about half way up behind the goal to right down the front in about 3 seconds.....

West Ham at home in 93 was fantastic. Proper banged out, ball from Collymore, Angell scores...1-0. Great game, great atmosphere, great win!

And of course beating Newcastle 4-0 to go top for the afternoon. I used to have a t-shirt with the the clips from the papers on...can't remember if it was a legit one from the club shop or not!!

Did anyone else have one of these?

Last edited:
I cant remember what year it was, but think it was 93. It was Southend 3-2 Swindon. Angell scored a cracking volley from just inside the Swindon half. Great game and good football played by both sides.

Back