• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

have noticed on Ebay that you can buy e.g. All the Rolling Stones album on DVD for backup pruposes.
rock.gif

Now the seller declares that he is charging only for the services of creating the backup disc, and that it is the responsibility of the buyer to buy knowing that he actually has the original discs.

what is the law here? Can someone actually buy all the discs or is he breaking the law, if so what law is it? Now with file sharing if I download then, that is illegal because it is copyright theft, whereas buying these discs I am purchasing goods with aview to not using them until such time as I buy the originals?

I'm actually quite annoyed as I have nearly all the Stones and Beatles albums in one format or another and there they are complete for £3 each on DVD's
mad.gif
BAH !!!!

I think the legal background for this is a touch tenuous and I'm surprised ebay have allowed the auction.

I think the law says you can copy the music onto your PC for personal use yet not distribute it in any way for any purpose... if he's profiting fron their sale then I would say it's illegal...

http://www.allofmp3.com

Massive range of MP3's at russian prices - you can get a whole album for about £1.50! You can also order a download code by SMS for £2 an album if you don't fancy providing your credit card details.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ Feb. 06 2006,13:38)]http://www.allofmp3.com

Massive range of MP3's at russian prices - you can get a whole album for about £1.50! You can also order a download code by SMS for £2 an album if you don't fancy providing your credit card details.
sad.gif
I wished you hadn't posted that link I've spent $40 in a week and got loads of albums..... Last night...seeing as I was never into the Smiths I downloaded their first 4 albums for Monday morning to give them a full check out.....Please has anyone got some arsenic...these razor blades are taking ages........
down.gif

P.S. http://www.mp3search.ru/ is very similar and has a lot more obscure albums/artists too.
...And the Smiths aren't bad in a studenty claustrophobic with a tin of baked beans kinda way.

I work as a proffessional DJ and this question is often brought up on the DJ forums, the national association of DJ's Equity & The Musicians Union (which I am a member) are trying to get the ultimate legal answer, they are very close though.

The opinion that you can make a back up copy of music that you own is wrong, when you buy a CD or record you are buying the rights to have that music on that medium only, if you put an MP3 on your PC ipod etc you are in fact breaking the law, unless you have a digital license.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (soul DJ @ Feb. 13 2006,13:53)]I work as a proffessional DJ and this question is often brought up on the DJ forums, the national association of DJ's Equity & The Musicians Union (which I am a member) are trying to get the ultimate legal answer, they are very close though.

The opinion that you can make a back up copy of music that you own is wrong, when you buy a CD or record you are buying the rights to have that music on that medium only, if you put an MP3 on your PC ipod etc you are in fact breaking the law, unless you have a digital license.
This would then apply to everything.
Articles, photos, artwork, etc?
I understand that digital licensing is going to happen, yet these russian sites do not use them as their laws do not apply to digital media as tangible goods.
With that said, if i download from russia I am effectivley importing goods? Just as if i went there and bought CD's for $3 ?........ I don't know. I rang the BPI and they were vague about it which is worrying. The DTI / Hm customs said I was buying goods from Russia and would be eligible for tax, if tax applied ?
Why can't artists offer their music direct from their own website for a price they consider fair? rather than bigwigs and third parties? we can see which artists are fair and which are greedy?

i know of the russian site, and the law is vague, but when you download you are getting the permiision & licence needed

Back