• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My summing up of the Barnsley game

KrustyTheKray

President
Absolute shambles. The players just didn't look interested and were not up for it.

Why didn't Tilson take a chance and go 3 up front when we went 2 nil down, or even at 3-0 down?

Why does Tilson keep bringing everyone back to defend a corner? For f**k sake Tilly take some risks!!! We're fighting relegation.

Tilson is to blame for this season, yes he's done us proud the last two seasons, but he seems totally out of his depth at this level and his signings for this league.

I still dont see what other fans see in Hammell?? This man just cannot defend, how the hell did he play for Scotland?? He's ok going forward, but defending is not his game. The same can be said for Francis, and you know my feelings about him. Our full backs have cost us so many goals this season!

A total clear out is needed for next season, and i think it's time for a change in management. Someone with fresh ideas, and tactics. A manager who has the bottle to take some risks, and isn't afraid to drop anyone from the team who isn't playing well.

Tilson is a Southend legend, but i think his managerial stint at the club must come to an end. He's taken us as far as he can.

There's no excuses because we've spent more money than Col U on players, and i hasten to add wasted alot of it.

Now we have a massive hole to get out of to try and stay up. I for one can't see us doing it.

Saturday was a massive low point of this season.

Tilly out and replace him with who?

Why this season has to some extent kicked me in the bolleaux, Tilson is young and fairly inexperienced.....I just hope he's learnt a lot from this season and comes back stronger and wiser.

If we're in League 1 next season and if we struggle then I could be forced to change my mind, but Tilly out now? No way.

Tilson has learnt some valuable experience this season - as has Brushy and Ron Martin. I think if we were to stay up we wont be in this position next year I think they have all learnt from whatever mistakes they have made. However, if the worst does happen and we end up back in League 1 next year then I think Tilson will be more comfortable and we will be strong enough to contend for promotion.

Should we boot out Tilson just becuase we havent made the playoffs and won most of our matches?!?!?! No way - that would be madness. Two years ago no one ever thought that we would be up in the championship, and we all said at the beginning of the season we were happy to just be in this league no one ever thought that we would be competing for anything else other than our championship lives. We have shown glimpses of talent and passion this season that proove we could cut it in this league given another chance but this season it just wasnt to be. At the end of the day we just arent good enough. Put it down to what you want, money, managerial skills, players attitudes whatever but the lack of all of them put together means that we were not going to consistently perform in this league.

Whatever happens on 6th May at least we can all look back and say "hey that was one hell of a season" plenty of highs plenty of lows but for me thats what I want when supporting a football team. If I wanted to win every single week I would watch Man United or Chelski. I dont - I want a football team that gives me rollercoaster seasons and on the edge of your seat stuff thats what supporting Southend is all about. Tilson is a young manager and I dont think any other manager in the country could say that they wouldnt have wanted the same start to their managerial career. He has done unbelieveable things for the club the last two years no matter where we are in 10 or 20 years you just know that people will always speak of the years 2003-2007 and remember some of the best memories you'll ever have as a football fan.

Two years ago no one ever thought that we would be up in the championship
As recent as the start of the 2004/5 season I thought League 1 felt like some kind of unattainable promised land - that's probably why I don't feel as gutted as most on here that we're looking likely to go down. We're simply not ready for this league but as many have said, Tilson has gained invaluable experience which means that when we return to the Championship in a season or 2, we'll be there for a while. Sacking Tilson at this point in time would not be good for the future of the club.

Last edited:
Tilson is a Southend legend, but i think his managerial stint at the club must come to an end.

If I hadn't of given out so much rep in the last 24 hours I know what I would have been doing to this post.

Sack Tilly, and every bit of faith I have in Ron Martin will vanish. Tilly will lead us back to this division and we will be all the better for this experience.

Absolute muppet.

TTK - you should back your views and have a little flutter on Southend to go down.

The reason we are on the verge of relegation is simple. Its money, something which this club doesn't have much of. We came up far to quickly in a financial sense and as such have had nowhere near what most clubs in the championship spend, and a great deal less than many teams in league one. Our wage bill this year was rumoured to be about 1-2 million, including all staff. Hull, barnsley and leeds have wage bills far greater and are in the brown stuff as well. I'd be far more worried to be a leeds, hull, barnsley or luton fan at this time as relegation would spell disaster for them but for us is merely a minor hiccup.

Tilson is a Southend legend, but i think his managerial stint at the club must come to an end. He's taken us as far as he can.

For one thing, even if we do start next season in League One, that will still be a division better than when we started. So he's still well in credit in my view.

And if we do get rid of Tilson, who do we replace him with? I can't imagine this is the job Marcello Lippi has been waiting for.

If I hadn't of given out so much rep in the last 24 hours I know what I would have been doing to this post.

Sack Tilly, and every bit of faith I have in Ron Martin will vanish. Tilly will lead us back to this division and we will be all the better for this experience.

Absolute muppet.

But it could take us just as long as before to get back into the Championship if we go down.

I personally can't see us bouncing straight back up if we go down.

Just think how many people wont renew their season ticket if we go down.

We're in this mess because of Tilson end of!

If we go down, perhaps we could exchange Harrold for Wayne Gray. Gray is miles better!!

The reason we are on the verge of relegation is simple. Its money, something which this club doesn't have much of. We came up far to quickly in a financial sense and as such have had nowhere near what most clubs in the championship spend, and a great deal less than many teams in league one. Our wage bill this year was rumoured to be about 1-2 million, including all staff. Hull, barnsley and leeds have wage bills far greater and are in the brown stuff as well. I'd be far more worried to be a leeds, hull, barnsley or luton fan at this time as relegation would spell disaster for them but for us is merely a minor hiccup.

So Col U have a bigger budget than us then??

Look at the crowds we've been getting this season compared to them.

If Col U could stay up this season, then Southend should.

We've spent far more money than Col U this season as well.

What mess? We're fighting a relegation battle in the championship instead of League 2 because of Tilson.

Colchester are doing what we were doing last year. Punching above your weight. It happens. We were a buinch of league 2 players last year playing above ourselves as we were an established L2 side, col u were an established L1 side and are playing above themselves. Having worked in football all of my life money makes a massive difference. There is a reason Derby, B'ham and West brom are at the top.

But it could take us just as long as before to get back into the Championship if we go down.

God knows how long it would have taken had Tilson never been in charge. I personally do not see us bouncing straight back up even if Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge. We need a season of stability IMO. A flirt with the playoffs would be good IMO. Look at the other clubs being relegated and a lot of them end up successive relegation battles (ourselves only a few years ago!!)!

Erm... They would not have even got season tickets if it wasn't for Tilson's magical powers of getting us to the Championship in the first place!! Muppet :flamer:

Yes, one massive mess. Yup after the last few years of fighting against relegation to the conference now it really does look like a huge mess fighting against relegation from the Championship after successive promotions!!

First class fool. Absolute fool :thump:

with regards the the originally post from ttk, you state why didn't tilson put anyone up front and go three up there. but tilson did stick three up front and put barrett there to see what he could do and i think he did pretty well considering.

If we go down, perhaps we could exchange Harrold for Wayne Gray. Gray is miles better!!

Well yes, TTK, you are entirely correct with certain points; it could take as long as before to get back into the Championship if we go down; we may not bounce straight back up if we go down; and some people may not renew their season ticket if we go down (well **** them anyway!). We'll just have to wait and see.

But I tell you what, getting rid of our most successful manager since David Webb (some might say he is even more successful given the current climate) would, in my opinion, only increase the likelihood of your deepest fears being realised!

If we were to replace the man who has guided Southend United from the depths of League Two to the Championship in two seasons, we would replace with someone who has either:
(a) been sacked by someone else for non-performance, or
(b) got less experience at this level than the man you'd see us rid of

Is that really what you want?

Clearly not everything Tilly has done this season has worked, but he's been dealt a pack of cards and he's played them to the best of his ability.

I'd say he's the same manager who got us to the LDV finals, twice in a row.... I'd say he's the same manager who got us promoted, twice in a row... except that he's more than that.

He's a Southend legend.
He has blue blood running through him.
He cares about the club and its fans

And perhaps most pertinently...

He will have learnt more about management this last year than he will have done in his entire career
!

Getting rid of Tilson defies all logic.

Back