• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My summing up of the Barnsley game

Even though I firmly believe we are going down at the end of the season, there’s still that nagging doubt, we could yet still pull it off.
2004/05, we were lying in first place, losing the last two home games of the season against Orient and Yeovil nearly cost us, but for our away form consisting of that win at Macclesfield (McComack 2 goals) and draws against Northampton and Grimsby just kept us in it.
2005/06, lost 2 of our last 3 home games against Gillingham and Doncaster, again credible away draws against Barnsley and Swansea probably stopped us slipping out of the top 2 automatic promotion spots.
2006/07, As we are all aware our last 2 home games have been dreadful, it appears every season when it comes to the crunch we bottle it at home, but our away performances have saved us, it probably means having to win at both Plymouth and Southampton, but…………
Leadership as far as I can see, has been one of the reasons for our downfall, both on and off the pitch.
Maher is a tidy player and he’s outdone himself in front of goal this season, but I don’t see him as an inspirational player in his play or encouragement of the team. Personally I’d like to see one of the centre backs take over the arm band.
As for Tilly and Brush, enough has been said about timings of substitutions, encouragement (or lack of) from the sidelines, making excuses for bad performances. You cant take away what they have achieved over the last 3 years, but I don’t think Tilly has been ruthless enough until its to late.
I don’t think Tilly should be sacked, on the contrary, I think the club should get someone in who can A, Speak to the press and who comes across in a confident manner (Aidy Boothroyd type), someone who’s not afraid to get a grip of the players from the sidelines and someone that shows some passion that the fans can identify with.
Said my peace, game on……

Martin Allen would be my choice though if we do need a new manager this summer. Not exactly the silky football we've grown accustomed to under Tilson but he knows the lower leagues!
Is under contract at MK Dons so if we wanted him we would have to pay them a lot in compensation, money will can ill afford to waste. Plus he might not want to come to Southend anyway.

Is under contract at MK Dons so if we wanted him we would have to pay them a lot in compensation, money will can ill afford to waste. Plus he might not want to come to Southend anyway.

And by the same token if the Tilson out brigade get their way, then there will be a fair bit of compo coming his way to pay off his contact.

I am baffled by the attitude of football supporters in general. They all demand unswerving loyalty by players, management of their club, but once things start going a bit pear shaped the head of the manager is wanted on a platter. The same manager who has led us to successive promotions a divisional championship, two cup finals and a play off victory.

True Tilly may have made errors of judgement in the transfer market. I've asked this before, could anyone name me a manager who has never dropped a bollock in the transfer market?

Maher is a tidy player and he’s outdone himself in front of goal this season, but I don’t see him as an inspirational player in his play or encouragement of the team. Personally I’d like to see one of the centre backs take over the arm band.

The thing if Adam Barrett / Peter Clarke are leaders they will do it anyway, with or without the captaincy. Giving them an armband wont increase the amount of leadership or encouragement being given out on the pitch.

Absolute shambles. The players just didn't look interested and were not up for it.

Why didn't Tilson take a chance and go 3 up front when we went 2 nil down, or even at 3-0 down?

Why does Tilson keep bringing everyone back to defend a corner? For f**k sake Tilly take some risks!!! We're fighting relegation.

Tilson is to blame for this season, yes he's done us proud the last two seasons, but he seems totally out of his depth at this level and his signings for this league.

I still dont see what other fans see in Hammell?? This man just cannot defend, how the hell did he play for Scotland?? He's ok going forward, but defending is not his game. The same can be said for Francis, and you know my feelings about him. Our full backs have cost us so many goals this season!

A total clear out is needed for next season, and i think it's time for a change in management. Someone with fresh ideas, and tactics. A manager who has the bottle to take some risks, and isn't afraid to drop anyone from the team who isn't playing well.

Tilson is a Southend legend, but i think his managerial stint at the club must come to an end. He's taken us as far as he can.

There's no excuses because we've spent more money than Col U on players, and i hasten to add wasted alot of it.

Now we have a massive hole to get out of to try and stay up. I for one can't see us doing it.

Saturday was a massive low point of this season.

I completely disagree with everything that you said. Hammell and Francis have been good for us at the back. Francis had the bad spell but you dont go moaning at eastwood for his bad spells do you. Our defence nor tilly is to blame for the season, us not scoring is the problem, our defence has been quite solid at the back especially when Clarke found his feet. And by the way we did have 3 people upfront for the entire second half, dont you think it was strange that barrett was up there the entire time. and i'm gesing your just going to say oooooooo wow barrett upfront but he dont well.

Last edited:
I personally think TTK has a valid point. We're losing and the opposition have a corner so what do we do - we bring all 11 of our players back into our area to defend. Naivity, call it what you like, but we are clueless when we go behind and negative to the highest degree. You simply have to have an outlet and if the fans can see it then why not ST and PB. When we do go behind, which has been pretty much most of the season, how often do Tilly and Brush move from the dugout, where are the instructions where are the shouts of encouragement in an endeavour to lift the team?
Ron Martin's 'serious war chest', his own words not mine, did not materialise in January, and in the summer, quite truthfully, when all statements quote we will only bring in players better than we have, the club, instead of stabilising the squad, which had won successive promotions as everyone is quick to point out, was actually, in my opinion, weakened.
ColU stabilised their squad, very few changes, and it has paid off, all credit to them and their manager, who, incidentally was a replacement, and a very good one at that.
In contrast we brought in 3 new defenders and 3 new strikers, and whilst Peter Clarke was very shaky at the start, aided somewhat by ST considering him to be a good midfield player, he has blossomed and will hopefully become a favourite at RH.
However, getting rid of Gray and Bentley was IMO a mistake.
I feel that none of Francis, Hammell, and certainly not Paynter and Harrold have improved our squad, and even the Motherwell fans stated that Foran could only ever last 25 minutes.
Freddy aside, and whatever anyone says, we owe Freddy a debt of gratitude, I think Bradbury and Harrold have no more than about 3 goals each this year. Improvement, I think not.
At one point in this season we were regularly conceding 3 goals, and although produced a great 2nd half display against Norwich to equalise, with the strikers we have, we simply cannot rely upon Freddy every game. Francis and Hammell simply are NOT good defenders and aside from a few good shows Efe looks very vulnerable at this level.
All in all it has been a terrible season, aside from seeing the bigger clubs and the stadiums they have, very little to cheer about, and if, as I expect, we return to League 1, we actually, again IMO, return there with a weaker squad than when we left.

Last edited:
I personally think TTK has a valid point. We're losing and the opposition have a corner so what do we do - we bring all 11 of our players back into our area to defend. Naivity, call it what you like, but we are clueless when we go behind and negative to the highest degree. You simply have to have an outlet and if the fans can see it then why not ST and PB.

We conceded two goals from corners against Barnsley, one against Preston. Sounds like we need more people back, not less :(

Ron Martin's 'serious war chest', his own words not mine, did not materialise in January, and in the summer, quite truthfully, when all statements quote we will only bring in players better than we have, the club, instead of stabilising the squad, which had won successive promotions as everyone is quick to point out, was actually, in my opinion, weakened.

We spent 200k on Foran and possibly would have spent more if we could have got Scott McDonald. We have spent around a million this season, which is a bigamount for a club our size !

ColU stabilised their squad, very few changes, and it has paid off, all credit to them and their manager, who, incidentally was a replacement, and a very good one at that.
In contrast we brought in 3 new defenders and 3 new strikers, and whilst Peter Clarke was very shaky at the start, aided somewhat by ST considering him to be a good midfield player, he has blossomed and will hopefully become a favourite at RH.

Colu U had a squad of League one players, we had league two, we needed to buy more players and if we hadnt you would no doubt have screamed blue murder the war chest wasnt spent!

I feel that none of Francis, Hammell, and certainly not Paynter and Harrold have improved our squad, and even the Motherwell fans stated that Foran could only ever last 25 minutes.

Waye Gray warmed our bench and isnt setting the world alight

Bentley would have been useful to have in the squad but as he wanted first team football we had to let him go, not getting a replacement earlier was a mistake.

Francis has been poor in games, but great in others and looks to me a good prospect, Id rather him than Jupp.

Hammell not improved the squad over Che Wilson ? Yeah right.......

All in all it has been a terrible season, aside from seeing the bigger clubs and the stadiums they have, very little to cheer about, and if, as I expect, we return to League 1, we actually, again IMO, return there with a weaker squad than when we left.

Very little to cheer about ?

We were in great form from December until March,beat Man United and were a couple of minutes from a penalty shoot out with Spurs it wasnt all bad.

Returning with a weaker squad ? Dont be ridiculous, the only weakening will be the loss of Freddy. Clarke, Hammell, and McCormack are all better than we had nad Francis could be a decent player.

Paynter and Harrold have both been disappointing, but the former has potential to be ok at League one.

Last edited:
Just had a thought. Looking at TTK's rep before this thread and then again now it's been up for a few days - has any one thread been repsonsible for such a downturn in one person's rep? :rolleyes:

Jam Man - defending corners is about quality not having 11 players in the box to defend them.

It was RM who quoted that a warchest would be available not me. Spending money on Foran of 250k, Paynter 300k, Harrold 200k is big money for a club such as ours. However the buys, with the possible exception of Clarke and McCormack, the jury's still out on Hammell, have been extremely poor to say the least. We could have signed Agogo for about 150k and money really hasn't IMO been spent wisely.

How on earth did ColU have a squad of league 1 players and Southend a squad of League 2 players. This is quite truthfully a ridiculous statement and I can't believe anyone could actually say that. RM, Tilly and Brush were aware, I believe, that we were going to be playing in the Championship this year, and I take exception to the fact that they believed that we had a squad of League 2 players, surely the team had proved they were worthy of League 1 or weren't you watching last year.
The buys the Club have made, in the main are League 1 players and some will, I believe even struggle at that level.

Rumour has it that Hammell has a clause to leave if we're relegated - not sure how true, but Che Wilson would run through a brick wall for the club. That's the difference this year, the commitment is just not the same. And as for Gray and Bentley, I understood that only 1 year deals were offered, no one is guaranteed 1st Team football, and I can't believe you said that, but replacements were not of the same quality. Wayne Gray always chipped in with goals and was a good foil for Freddy. None of the others offer that.

December to March:-
Won 8
Drawn 7
Lost 9

Hardly awe inspiring but I suppose there was loads to cheer about compared to the rest of the season. To refer to the Man U game it makes you wonder why the players can lift themselves for the 1 off games but not when the club's Championship future is at stake.

I don't think I'm the only 1 who believes our squad is weaker. If you think the 3 players stated will make a serious difference then I'm quite astounded at the naivity. We had McCormack and centre halfs have not proved to be a problem in the past.

What worries me is that we had Freddy to thank for getting us successfully into League 1 than into the Championship and with Tilly's track record in sgning strikers we'll struggle to score double figures next year without Freddy.

Yes I support the team, and will continue to do so in the next division, but at least I'm being realistic.

Just had a thought. Looking at TTK's rep before this thread and then again now it's been up for a few days - has any one thread been repsonsible for such a downturn in one person's rep? :rolleyes:

And what are you trying to say?

I'm not interested in a reputation, i'm more interested in speaking my mind. Yes i may be outspoken on here, but it's all truth.

Honestly!

I personally think TTK has a valid point. We're losing and the opposition have a corner so what do we do - we bring all 11 of our players back into our area to defend. Naivity, call it what you like, but we are clueless when we go behind and negative to the highest degree. You simply have to have an outlet and if the fans can see it then why not ST and PB. When we do go behind, which has been pretty much most of the season, how often do Tilly and Brush move from the dugout, where are the instructions where are the shouts of encouragement in an endeavour to lift the team?
Freddy aside, and whatever anyone says, we owe Freddy a debt of gratitude, I think Bradbury and Harrold have no more than about 3 goals each this year. Improvement, I think not.
At one point in this season we were regularly conceding 3 goals, and although produced a great 2nd half display against Norwich to equalise, with the strikers we have, we simply cannot rely upon Freddy every game. Francis and Hammell simply are NOT good defenders and aside from a few good shows Efe looks very vulnerable at this level.

Spot on post!

Glad it's not only me thinking this.

Rumour has it that Hammell has a clause to leave if we're relegated - not sure how true, but Che Wilson would run through a brick wall for the club. That's the difference this year, the commitment is just not the same. And as for Gray and Bentley, I understood that only 1 year deals were offered, no one is guaranteed 1st Team football, and I can't believe you said that, but replacements were not of the same quality. Wayne Gray always chipped in with goals and was a good foil for Freddy. None of the others offer that.

The thing is, i never heard anyone slagging off Wayne Gray when he was with us, the next thing when he signed for Yeovil people were saying he was only good enough to warm the bench. Do these people think Harrold, Paynter, or Foran are any better than him? I dont think they are.

Hammell a release clause eh, let him go now!!! If he's not prepared to put up a fight in league one, then lets just get shot of him now. He obviously thinks he's worth better doesn't he! Thats not the sort of players we need at the Hall. We want battlers, and like you say 'players that will literally run through brick walls for SUFC'. Hammell is clearly not that sort of standard, neither is Francis saying that. Hammell is a very poor defender and very very overated in my book.

The thing is, i never heard anyone slagging off Wayne Gray when he was with us, the next thing when he signed for Yeovil people were saying he was only good enough to warm the bench.

I did always thought he was poor, Gray was never rated when he was here by anyone I know.

When he left for Yeovil had had been warming our bench for about 5 months.....

Hammell a release clause eh, let him go now!!! If he's not prepared to put up a fight in league one, then lets just get shot of him now. He obviously thinks he's worth better doesn't he! .

Relegation clauses are common place and you have no idea whether he will even want go...

And what are you trying to say?

I'm not interested in a reputation, i'm more interested in speaking my mind. Yes i may be outspoken on here, but it's all truth.

Honestly!

Merely making an observation. That so many people have negative repped you as a result of this thread is a decent indication of what people think of your original post - i.e. not much.

Still, it creates debate I suppose, so fair play to you.

The thing is, i never heard anyone slagging off Wayne Gray when he was with us, the next thing when he signed for Yeovil people were saying he was only good enough to warm the bench.

Not quite so sure about that. I heard plenty of people slagging him off whilst he was with us. In fact some of the abuse he got at the Grimsby away game (sorry to bring that horrible memory up everyone!) was as bad as I've ever heard from our fans at one of our own players.

I felt that Gray was just about holding his own at League One and wouldn't have offered us much in the Championship - admittedly, much the same as most of the strikers currently on the books.

How on earth did ColU have a squad of league 1 players and Southend a squad of League 2 players. This is quite truthfully a ridiculous statement and I can't believe anyone could actually say that. .

Er, because they were in League one for sometime and when we won promotion to the championship we did so with the same team we had in League Two.

Rumour has it that Hammell has a clause to leave if we're relegated - not sure how true, but Che Wilson would run through a brick wall for the club. .

Yep Che was indeed committed and put in strong challenged. He just was not very good.

Wayne Gray always chipped in with goals and was a good foil for Freddy. None of the others offer that..

Wayne Gray had no sort of chemistry or partnership with Freddy, he looked poor last year and hasnt done much for high flying Yeovil, so why would he have done anything against better defenders ?

December to March:-
Won 8
Drawn 7
Lost 9

Hardly awe inspiring but I suppose there was loads to cheer about compared to the rest of the season. To refer to the Man U game it makes you wonder why the players can lift themselves for the 1 off games but not when the club's Championship future is at stake.

No not awe inspiring but decent none the less and not the season long disaster some make out.

Why can teams like ours beat Man Utd and not Hull ? Its the occassion and that one off chance to do something amazing. Would be nice to extend that to league games, and if you could bottle it you would make a pretty penny :)

What worries me is that we had Freddy to thank for getting us successfully into League 1 than into the Championship and with Tilly's track record in sgning strikers we'll struggle to score double figures next year without Freddy.

Yes I agree, having a 20 goal a season man got us here, as Sharp has done for Scunthorpe.

He will be very hard to replace, but thats not Tillys fault, 20 goal a season strikers are very hard to find. I think peoples expectations are a little exaggerated now , we got lucky with Freddy.

HOw is it being "realistic" to say without Freddy we wont score double figures next season ?!?! Thats not realism its negativity...

I certainly dont see us challenging for promotion next season but we will go down with a better squad than we came up with.

The thing is, i never heard anyone slagging off Wayne Gray when he was with us, the next thing when he signed for Yeovil people were saying he was only good enough to warm the bench. Do these people think Harrold, Paynter, or Foran are any better than him? I dont think they are.

Hammell a release clause eh, let him go now!!! If he's not prepared to put up a fight in league one, then lets just get shot of him now. He obviously thinks he's worth better doesn't he! Thats not the sort of players we need at the Hall. We want battlers, and like you say 'players that will literally run through brick walls for SUFC'. Hammell is clearly not that sort of standard, neither is Francis saying that. Hammell is a very poor defender and very very overated in my book.

I agree. If you look at Barnsley first goal although Barrett was wrong footed and perhaps should have been tighter, Hammell was in nomans land neither offering cover or picking anybody up. As soon as the guy changed foot Hammell should have been close enough to get a challenge in..... imho.

I agree. If you look at Barnsley first goal although Barrett was wrong footed and perhaps should have been tighter, Hammell was in nomans land neither offering cover or picking anybody up. As soon as the guy changed foot Hammell should have been close enough to get a challenge in..... imho.

Easy game from the stands isn't it?

Back