• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

UKFLAVA.COM

Having supported Southend all my life i now find it pretty upsetting not having the old days on a Saturday when i stood in the North Bank and sung my heart out !

Ok the atmosphere is now getting better in the West bank and a little bit better in the East / South but it will never be like it was when it was the old days of standing in the north bank !

Anyway please please PLEASE can we have 1 game where we can have the north bank back for 1 league game ?

I think it would be superb, i know we are moving to a new stadium (i hope) and i really think this will be great if we have a stadium rounded with all sides meeting to get a good atmosphere (i hear they are modelling it on stamford bridge so that should be good) but i really think we deserve this

I know some will disagree with me but it annoys me to death when you have like 50 people in there and its really noisy and they are giving there team great support yet we have our fans trying there hardest all over the stadium yet making no noise !

Surely its worth a go isnt it ?
Imagine how noisy we could be with a full north stand ?

It would make the saturdays much better !

(think ill send this in)
smile.gif

Oh, not this again!!

** yawn! **

Sorry, but we seem to cover this every six months and the answer will always be the same. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN! The FLA, the local council, the local authorities WILL NOT ALLOW IT! It is out of the club's hands.

ShrimperZone ran a campaign back in 2001 (?) for a return to the North Bank. We have plenty of information from ALL sources why it simply wouldn't happen ...

WS

Ok i thought this may have been posted before, but it really annoys me !

Why can't we go in there for 1 game then ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 02 2004,22:33)]Ok i thought this may have been posted before, but it really annoys me !

Sorry to rant! Didn't mean to sound so arrogant!

wink.gif

Anyway, the simple answer is segregation. The North Stand as it is provides perfect segregation of fans, i.e. away fans enter and exit ONLY through the Fairfax Drive entrance (for the most part anyway). Even if it was for 100 or 1,000 fans, it will always be the same. To bring the North Stand up to the standard required by the FLA and local authorities, the club would have to fork out somewhere between £40,000 and £50,000 to ensure such segregation. As GK suggested at the time, this is money which could be better spent on the team. The last time we campaigned less than 1% of our average attendance said that they would use the North Stand again; that fifty grand would be wasted.

I remember only about 200 of us went in there for Steve Tilson's testimonial. The acoustics were great but the view was sh*te. And we were standing. Remember, if it was a League game, our fans would be expected to sit down at all times. (And the stewards WOULD enforce that as they do now.) Have you been to Kenilworth Road? Think how bad that away end is; it's just the same in the North Stand ...

WS

I see your point

Although you say about the sitting down nobody does that in 1 section of the west bank which produces some good noise now

It's a shame though it really is

[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 02 2004,22:43)]I see your point

Although you say about the sitting down nobody does that in 1 section of the west bank which produces some good noise now

I bet they do. I bet when Jobson's stormtroopers move into action, they sit down!

wink.gif

Yes it is a shame. And it's a shame that Vic Jobson decided to turf us all out of the North Bank and fill it with over 3,000 seats in his apparent desire to turn Roots Hall into an all-seater stadium when there really was no need to.

WS

by the way - I don't know whether the F Block are aware, but persistent standing can actually be "punished" by the FLA and local authorities with closure of the stand and refusal of licensing ...

Didn't we have this all before last season and a vote was carried out in the programme and only 50 odd people replied and not many wanted to go into the North Bank. Its really not worth it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,21:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 02 2004,22:43)]I see your point

I bet they do. I bet when Jobson's stormtroopers move into action, they sit down!

wink.gif

Yes it is a shame. And it's a shame that Vic Jobson decided to turf us all out of the North Bank and fill it with over 3,000 seats in his apparent desire to turn Roots Hall into an all-seater stadium when there really was no need to.

WS

by the way - I don't know whether the F Block are aware, but persistent standing can actually be "punished" by the FLA and local authorities with closure of the stand and refusal of licensing ...
how you are so right, when they come over and try to get us seated and then the chorus of "stand up if you love southend" sounds but a minute later we are all seated like the bunch of well behaved beings we are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:48)]by the way - I don't know whether the F Block are aware, but persistent standing can actually be "punished" by the FLA and local authorities with closure of the stand and refusal of licensing ...
This is one of the things in footy that gets on my nerves, As a few on here may remember i got a ban (not enforced) for calling Clive (security) a ****. ok i was a bit harsh but you see premiersh*te teams week in and week out are being roared on by 10,000 fans all standing. Man Utd got threatened with part of old trafford being shut but nothing ever happened.

It would be nice for once if those in charge  would grow a pair and let us stand and then challenge any ruling by the FLA.

Rant Over.

Bruce Shrimpsteen

Born to Shrimp

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 02 2004,22:33)]Ok i thought this may have been posted before, but it really annoys me !

Sorry to rant! Didn't mean to sound so arrogant!

wink.gif
Suggestion - As this site is attracting more and more people each week (since Mike left - any co-incidence ?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
), why not have another (closed to posting) board specifically for recurring issues for the newbies.

For example

1) The North Bank
2) Bart vs Darryl
3) Is Emma B really in love with ORM ?
etc etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:40)]Anyway, the simple answer is segregation. The North Stand as it is provides perfect segregation of fans, i.e. away fans enter and exit ONLY through the Fairfax Drive entrance (for the most part anyway).
You contradict yourself Mike!

There have always been away fans coming through the main carpark to either park their car/van/minibus or to gain access to the away end from one of the numerous public houses or fast food outlets outside the club. Therefore there has never been 'perfect segregation' as you suggest (even with your final comment taken into account), so why use it as a reason to explain why the North Bank is used for away support?

I am one of the 'stormtroopers' that you so aptly refer to as 'security at the ground' and yes, some of the stuff we have to do is at best, a chore and we have a laugh about some of it afterwards! we aren't taken seriously at the ground, because some of the decisions made, are debatable, but have to be carried out, especially if members of the Essex FA are monitoring proceedings.

Stormtroopers... that's a good one!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Dec. 03 2004,09:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:40)]Anyway, the simple answer is segregation. The North Stand as it is provides perfect segregation of fans, i.e. away fans enter and exit ONLY through the Fairfax Drive entrance (for the most part anyway).

There have always been away fans coming through the main carpark to either park their car/van/minibus or to gain access to the away end from one of the numerous public houses or fast food outlets outside the club. Therefore there has never been 'perfect segregation' as you suggest (even with your final comment taken into account), so why use it as a reason to explain why the North Bank is used for away support?

I am one of the 'stormtroopers' that you so aptly refer to as 'security at the ground' and yes, some of the stuff we have to do is at best, a chore and we have a laugh about some of it afterwards! we aren't taken seriously at the ground, because some of the decisions made, are debatable, but have to be carried out, especially if members of the Essex FA are monitoring proceedings.

laugh.gif
Stewards! Pah! You're all a bunch of wannabe traffic wardens.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Dec. 02 2004,23:17)]Didn't we have this all before last season and a vote was carried out in the programme and only 50 odd people replied and not many wanted to go into the North Bank. Its really not worth it.
When you are too young to have seen what the North Bank in full flow was like, how can you possibly say it's not worth it?

Shut it son, you're embarrassing yerself.

As people have said the arguments about this have been done to death but I have never understood the arguments re segregation of entrances because when you go to away stadiums (New and Old) there is little or no segregation around the ground near the turnstiles. I have often walked through large sections of Home Supporters queing at turnstiles to get to the away end.

I think at the end of the day this is a convenient excuse and the real issue is as ever Money. There just wasn't enough interest shown to make it worth the clubs investment. For all the ranting many fans who used to love the North Bank just wouldn't leave their excellent views in the South Upper.

Would still be nice to have North Bank made available to Home fans for the early rounds of the LDV. Where the small number of away fans cuold be housed in the walled section in the North West. Possibility for next season?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 03 2004,09:37)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:40)]Anyway, the simple answer is segregation. The North Stand as it is provides perfect segregation of fans, i.e. away fans enter and exit ONLY through the Fairfax Drive entrance (for the most part anyway).

laugh.gif

tounge.gif
What would you know... fence sitter! at least when I do something, I do it without hesitation... what's your excuse!
tounge.gif

Some people...
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Dec. 03 2004,13:32)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

laugh.gif

tounge.gif
What would you know... fence sitter! at least when I do something, I do it without hesitation... what's your excuse!
tounge.gif

Some people...
mad.gif

biggrin.gif
Fence sitter? Excuse?

Obvious really... I like the splinters.

wink.gif

[b said:

tounge.gif
Ha, Ha, Ha... that's rich coming from you... 'fence sitter'!.

I guess you take your orders from Mrs. OS and no backchat either...  
tounge.gif

Some people!  
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Yes, it sure was an impressive sight and sound in the mid 80's when the likes of Halifax came to town and the ground was heaving with way, way over one thousand people (well, about 6 or 7 over).

Latter day games against the likes of Tottenham in the League Cup and Cambridge in the old Third Division spring to mind regarding a genuine buzz in the North Bank but then, just as now, the vast majority of matches were played in little or no atmosphere.  

It's nice to have selective memories to bring back some good times - we all do it - but it shouldn't cloud the fact that the North Bank wasn't the heaving cauldron of noise it's sometimes made out to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A Groyne Strain In Westcliff @ Dec. 03 2004,14:02)]Yes, it sure was an impressive sight and sound in the mid 80's when the likes of Halifax came to town and the ground was heaving with way, way over one thousand people (well, about 6 or 7 over).

Latter day games against the likes of Tottenham in the League Cup and Cambridge in the old Third Division spring to mind regarding a genuine buzz in the North Bank but then, just as now, the vast majority of matches were played in little or no atmosphere.

It's nice to have selective memories to bring back some good times - we all do it - but it shouldn't cloud the fact that the North Bank wasn't the heaving cauldron of noise it's sometimes made out to be.
Well done mate. That's actually the first original viewpoint raised on this issue this millennium (always good using millennium for dramtic effect).

But for that, this post would seem like a regurgitation of yet another old debate.

Would it be worth having a section of the messageboard with a summary of topics that keep recurring ont he forum? e.g Opening the North Stand, Daryl vs Bart

Back