• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Dec. 03 2004,14:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (A Groyne Strain In Westcliff @ Dec. 03 2004,14:02)]Yes, it sure was an impressive sight and sound in the mid 80's when the likes of Halifax came to town and the ground was heaving with way, way over one thousand people (well, about 6 or 7 over).

Latter day games against the likes of Tottenham in the League Cup and Cambridge in the old Third Division spring to mind regarding a genuine buzz in the North Bank but then, just as now, the vast majority of matches were played in little or no atmosphere.  

It's nice to have selective memories to bring back some good times - we all do it - but it shouldn't cloud the fact that the North Bank wasn't the heaving cauldron of noise it's sometimes made out to be.
Well done mate.  That's actually the first original viewpoint raised on this issue this millennium (always good using millennium for dramtic effect).

But for that, this post would seem like a regurgitation of yet another old debate.

Would it be worth having a section of the messageboard with a summary of topics that keep recurring ont he forum?  e.g  Opening the North Stand, Daryl vs Bart
I recall the Northbank being full of atmosphere during my early visits to RH, however I was 9 years old and we were getting gates of well over 10,000

However by the early 80's these occassions were few and far between (I gave up smoking because it was too far to walk to ask the bloke standing next to me for a light )

Also the noise generally only came from the North, I cant recall the west or east chanting or singing much in those days despite the large crowds (except for the odd roar at corners etc) As for the south it was generally away support and kids who wanted to be behind the goal but didn't fancy mixing with the "big boys"

Now there is some noise from all sides of the ground even given the considerably smaller attendances

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Dec. 03 2004,09:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,22:40)]Anyway, the simple answer is segregation. The North Stand as it is provides perfect segregation of fans, i.e. away fans enter and exit ONLY through the Fairfax Drive entrance (for the most part anyway).

Therefore there has never been 'perfect segregation' as you suggest (even with your final comment taken into account), so why use it as a reason to explain why the North Bank is used for away support?

I am one of the 'stormtroopers' that you so aptly refer to as 'security at the ground' and yes, some of the stuff we have to do is at best, a chore and we have a laugh about some of it afterwards! we aren't taken seriously at the ground, because some of the decisions made, are debatable, but have to be carried out, especially if members of the Essex FA are monitoring proceedings.

Stormtroopers... that's a good one!  
laugh.gif
The "perfect segregation" was considered by the FLA representative I spoke to a couple of years ago when all this talk of returning to the North Stand first occured. Silly reason (which is why I kind of discounted it in the same sentence!)

So there ...

tounge.gif

Stormtroopers! Personally I never had any problems with stewards at Roots Hall in my 25-odd (very odd) years of following the Shrimpers until I moved abroad. However I do laugh at the pleas and cries of the 'F Block' about Jobsworth Stewards; I mean you're only doing your job and I'm sure you DO have a massive laugh after the game about fans getting so irate about not being able to stand and throwing their teddies about in a tantrum. It always amuses me!

WS

we want the north bank back big time

nothing wrong with a good old punch up in the good out days the main car park was a good place to meet ...

thats football its like horses for courses  
smile.gif

No Fear !!

Don't actually remember writing that post.

Gone now, banish it from your memories, I have!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Dec. 03 2004,14:09)]That's actually the first original viewpoint raised on this issue this millennium (always good using millennium for dramtic effect).
Not only that, you appear to have used millennium as an excuse to invent a new word.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 03 2004,17:20)]Stormtroopers! Personally I never had any problems with stewards at Roots Hall in my 25-odd (very odd) years of following the Shrimpers until I moved abroad. However I do laugh at the pleas and cries of the 'F Block' about Jobsworth Stewards; I mean you're only doing your job and I'm sure you DO have a massive laugh after the game about fans getting so irate about not being able to stand and throwing their teddies about in a tantrum. It always amuses me!
No Mike !

I'm afraid you've got this all wrong. Most of the stewards are no problem whatsoever and do a very good job (I certainly don't envy it). I'm also not here to defend the attitude of some of those in F block.

However some of them seem to associate putting on the jacket with an excuse to turn into utter arseholes and I've witnessed this on numerous occassions. Just as a group of fans seems to be assessed by its weakest it is only fair to turn this on its head.

Perhaps next time the stewards meet Mr Technician how about suggesting that the stewards adopt a common stewarding policy and adhere to it.

If you want people to sit in the seat listed on their ticket then don't just inspect them on one odd game where there were barely 4,000 in the friggin' ground.

If you don't want the spotty chavs gesticulating in a masturbatory fashion to the away fans (a term quoted to me some years ago as I was leaving Craven Cottage a bit earlier than intended) then chuck them out. Not just for one game but every time they do it.

If you're happy to accept racist taunting at games then at least let us know. We'll know then not to complain in future.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ Dec. 04 2004,02:17)]we want the north bank back big time

nothing wrong with a good old punch up in the good out days the main car park was a good place to meet ...

smile.gif

No Fear !!
Just realised this makes about as much sense as my reply. Could have had a hilarious conversation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Dec. 04 2004,15:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ Dec. 04 2004,02:17)]we want the north bank back big time

nothing wrong with a good old punch  up in the good out days the main car park was a good place to meet ...

smile.gif

No Fear !!
Just realised this makes about as much sense as my reply.  Could have had a hilarious conversation.
I think the best posts on here are after midnight as we are all ****ed......

One team In Essex
SOUTHEN UNITED FC
smile.gif

I would just like to say about the perfect segregation from entering and exiting roots hall for away fans.

Ok yes it is good at the moment but that is a rubbish excuse as to why we can't go back in the north bank.

I watch Chelsea alot and the away fans there enter and exit in the same section as the home fans so that doesnt make any sense at all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 04 2004,17:01)]I would just like to say about the perfect segregation from entering and exiting roots hall for away fans.

Ok yes it is good at the moment but that is a rubbish excuse as to why we can't go back in the north bank.

I watch Chelsea alot and the away fans there enter and exit in the same section as the home fans so that doesnt make any sense at all.
Of course it doesn't. And if you visit places like Gigg Lane there is little segregation either. But them are the rules placed upon SUFC (or so they say) ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Dec. 04 2004,18:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (UKFLAVA.COM @ Dec. 04 2004,17:01)]I would just like to say about the perfect segregation from entering and exiting roots hall for away fans.

Of course it doesn't. And if you visit places like Gigg Lane there is little segregation either. But them are the rules placed upon SUFC (or so they say) ...

WS
It happens at a fair few places. Places such as Rushden, Bournamouth and Lincoln (to name a few) just have the netting over 10 rows of seating and a few stewards at the front. I personally think its just the club making life easier for themselves. I see no reason why the home fans can't have half of the NB and just let the away fans have the North East corner, as they come in at that part and let anyone wanting to go into the North do so by letting them in round the West stand along the back of the West and through the big double gates.

But we've been here before and i cant see the club coming to their senses because of our **new** stadium!!

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Dec. 04 2004,19:42)]It happens at a fair few places. Places such as Rushden, Bournamouth and Lincoln (to name a few) just have the netting over 10 rows of seating and a few stewards at the front. I personally think its just the club making life easier for themselves. I see no reason why the home fans can't have half of the NB and just let the away fans have the North East corner, as they come in  at that part and let anyone wanting to go into the North do so by letting them in round the West stand along the back of the West and through the big double gates.

But we've been here before and i cant see the club coming to their senses because of our **new** stadium!!
Kev, it's not really the club being awkward. I spoke to the FLA representative personally and he informed me of the restrictions placed on Roots Hall with regards to segregation. Without FLA approval (together with local authority licensing), Roots Hall cannot be open to the public. We can all come with plenty of ideas (and indeed we did present a couple of alternatives) but none would meet the requirement placed on Roots Hall. (To be honest, the FLA said it didn't matter what happened at other stadiums; the licensing is unique to the ground in question.) In any case, the 40K - 50K required to provide the satisfactory segregation required by the FLA and authorities is not a sum that the club can justify spending, especially when a new home is (supposedly) peeking over the horizon ...

WS

Back