• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We played in the WBA strip against Aldershot on Easter Monday 7 April 69 won 4-2, the Ipswich strip against Bradford PA on 14 April, won 5-0, Chelsea against Swansea Town on 18 th April won 4-0 and the last home game of the season Coventry strip against Newport County 28 April won 1-0 with a last minute goal from John Kurila. The crowd was nearly 12,000 and I can remember the announcer (Frank Gill?) urging the crowd to get behind the team just before Kurila scored his only league goal for us. As they say the crowd went wild.

So 4 wins in borrowed strips.

Seem to recall that the supporters were asked to choose a shirt design at the end of a season in the 60s for the following season. The 1st team would ware a different blue shirt for 6 or 7 home games. I recall that the fans went with the Chelsea blue shirts and shorts. But other kits that they played in I recall were Coventry (sky blue) WBA (blue stripes) Scotland (dark blue) and an Ipswich (blue & white)

The bit in the Newport Programme
then Billy and Gary playing for the Baggies
then Ipswich
and then Chelsea with Chico.

Look how close they are to each other!
Colours (2).jpg
Colours1 (2).jpgColours2 (2).jpgColours3 (2).jpg

I and a lot of other supporters of a certain age will tell you that the Scotland navy blue shirt was the best ever shirt .
1968 was my first season as a 6 year old. The FA cup games clearly spoilt me!
Remember dad taking me to see the score of the Mansfield game shown in the window of the Southend Standard office.

Last edited:
I see Bobby Moore is wearing a bracelet ....

Question ....

His wife said Moore would never ever grass anyone up BUT he definitely did not nick the bracelet in the famous Mexico 68 World Cup missing bracelet scandal - when Bobby was banged up and accused.

She did say she felt sorry for the girl in the shop - implying it was not a set up and something had indeed gone missing.

Who was the other player with Bobby Moore in the shop ?

Question ....

His wife said Moore would never ever grass anyone up BUT he definitely did not nick the bracelet in the famous Mexico 68 World Cup missing bracelet scandal - when Bobby was banged up and accused.

She did say she felt sorry for the girl in the shop - implying it was not a set up and something had indeed gone missing.

Bobby Charlton

Question ....

Peter Osgood , and he had side burns like Bobby .

For those of you that are not aware I've been running a 'SUEPA Scrapbook' series on the SUEPA Facebook and Twitter pages. I've just posted up another batch this eve (our 10th batch) and below is one of them. It would be a bit tedious to put them all up on here as I have to go through an image reduction process to get them loaded on SZ so do pop over to the SUEPA social media pages if you would like to see more. The latest batch (and a whole load more I've just got in) are from a Shrimpers fan who responded to an appeal in the latest SUEPA Newsletter for folk to dive in their attics and see what old Southend pics they might have. The one below as a sample includes Eddie Firmani so will be from the mid 60's.
Cheers.

24 training day.jpg

Not worth watching is it? Surely we can't beat Shilton & co over two legs? Here's the 2nd leg.
Derby v Southend 1987-88 League Cup. A lot of you will be asking, who's Nogan at number 9? He had 2 loan spells with us, scoring 1 in 11 appearances, and is a member of SUEPA. We also have our two match summarisers for BBC Essex here, with Paul Clark as Manager and Glenn Pennyfather playing.

Last edited:
Robbed in the return match at Ewood Park, drew 2-2 from being 2-0 up. David Speedie getting both, the equaliser in the closing minutes.

However, my abiding memory of that game was a phenomenal last ditch tackle in the penalty area by Dean Austin, took the ball clean as you like!

Robbed in the return match at Ewood Park, drew 2-2 from being 2-0 up. David Speedie getting both, the equaliser in the closing minutes.

However, my abiding memory of that game was a phenomenal last ditch tackle in the penalty area by Dean Austin, took the ball clean as you like!
I wasn’t at the game, but had us at 16/1 to win 2-1. I still hate David Speedie for that!

Back