• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have been sorting out the loft found some old evening echos found this one from 1984 with my dad circled, I am the lad to the right we won a signed football it was in the old north paddock

Attachments

• 2B3BA275-1AA2-4F77-91B1-970BFE909216.jpeg
    2B3BA275-1AA2-4F77-91B1-970BFE909216.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 121
Just found 2 more from 1977/78

Attachments

• 6AB84E80-6214-4F38-B8F7-6E8619FE368A.jpeg
    6AB84E80-6214-4F38-B8F7-6E8619FE368A.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 918688A2-58E1-464E-BC29-9ADF3C59D0FF.jpeg
    918688A2-58E1-464E-BC29-9ADF3C59D0FF.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 152
Just found 2 more from 1977/78
The bloke circled on the right in the second picture (longish fair hair) is none other than Roy Cottis, well remembered along with his sister Marion for being regulars on the Bushell brother away coach trips of the 1960s and 70s.
Roy still works as a steward at the ground on match-days.

The club used to have a face in the crowd in there programmes in the 1968-69 season .

Dave Axcell now lives in Argyle House,Seaforth Road,Westcliff. He quite frequently goes to Essex County Bowls Club in Imperial Avenue,Westcliff.

Thanks Mick, a very interesting read. When i saw 'B.B The Legend Lives on' in Dec, he told me my Great Uncle Jackie Bridge, is still alive, living in a care home in Leigh!.
Worked with Jackie many years ago ,lovely bloke ..many interesting tales of the blues.If my memory serves me right he nearly ended up at Villa but didn't want to leave the area

Dave Axcell now lives in Argyle House,Seaforth Road,Westcliff. He quite frequently goes to Essex County Bowls Club in Imperial Avenue,Westcliff.

Wrongly gave two penalties against me in one Borough Comb match back in the day.

We lost 3-0 but won division three that year.

Never forgave him though.

Worked with Jackie many years ago ,lovely bloke ..many interesting tales of the blues.If my memory serves me right he nearly ended up at Villa but didn't want to leave the area

My late wife worked with his wife Maureen in mid 70's in Coleman House in Vic Ave before i met her. She showed me a photo she had taken with Maureen & Jackie. 'Whose that' i asked, when she told me i said 'that's my great uncle'!!.

Copies of some of the original documents of the formulation of Southend United Football Club in 1906.
SUFC 1.jpg

I did not realise the Blue Boar and the Nelson were both originally Hotels.

SUFC 2.jpg

SUFC 3.jpg

SUFC 4.jpg

SUFC 5.jpg

This is from the Watford programme for the F.A. Cup tie, Dec 16th 1978. Final score, 1-1.
Scan-3-4.jpeg

Scan-1-4.jpeg

If you click on photo's, it will open up bigger to read.

I know this is not strictly about Southend United, but following @DoDTS great "1954-55 the Last Season at the Stadium" Thread, I thought I would post these up about Southend Stadium, Grainger Road which was our "home" from 1934 to 1954.

These are all about the old Southend Stadium and its final Greyhound meeting on Boxing Day 26th December 1985.

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 1 One last outing - racegoers pack into the stand for the final meeting Boxing Day December 1985

Pic 2.jpg
Pic 2 Out of the traps - greyhounds racing in January 1971

Pic 3.jpg
Pic 3 Stadium Road - Plans to hold speedway races at the track where opposed due to the close proximity to residential streets

Pic 4.jpg
Pic 4 Race day - dogs on their way around the track

Pic 5.jpg
Pic 5 Fast on four legs - a race in 1976

Pic 6.jpg
Pic 6 Heavy load - a new generator is delivered to the Southend Stadium, overseen by stadium secretary Hugh Willcock in November 1973.

A similar generators were installed at Roots Hall at the start of the 3 Day week at the beginning of 1974 to enable floodlit games to be played. These Fiat Generators were loaned by the Rochford toy-maker Lesney Products & Co. Ltd (Matchbox).

Pic 7.jpg
Pic 7 The way it was - the main stand at the stadium

Pic 8.jpg
Pic 8 Gone to rubble - demolition taking place in 1986

Pic 9.jpg
Pic 9 Closure - the stadium as it looked in March 1986, just months after its final race

Pic 10.jpg
Pic 10 End of an era - the remains of the stadium in March 1986

The Last Greyhound meeting at Southend Stadium Grainger Road Programme Boxing Day 26th December 1985.

Due to heavy torrential rain, the final race had to be abandoned as the hare kept getting stuck on the track and stopped, unfortunately so did the greyhounds.

Not a fitting final tribute to the end of Southend Stadium.

Prog 1.jpeg

Prog 2.jpeg

Prog 3.jpeg

Prog 4.jpeg

Prog 5.jpeg

Prog 6.jpeg

Prog 7.jpeg

Prog 8.jpeg

Prog 9.jpeg

I'm sure i watched a testimonial game there circa 69-70, when we were struggling in Div 4, & Ernie Shepherd was still our manager.
I remember sitting in that main stand with the chant 'all we are saying.... is Shepherd must go', sung by our 'choir' back then.
* Over to you B.B. The Legend Lives On, reckon you must have been there, & have the details!. *

Back