• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A bit about Southend United FC’s predecessor Southend Athletic FC, they were an amateur club that were in existence from 1890 to 1907, below you can see a photo of their Cup winning team of 1904/5 season.

Their President was R.A.Jones, Robert Arthur Jones seen on the left in the photo, who was a fantastic benefactor of Southend-on-Sea. He owned the jewellers in Southend High Street although the jewellers has now closed, the building still exists and the famous clock can still be seen and bears his name.

R.A.Jones gifted to the town, Jones Memorial Ground and Victory Sports Ground. He also purchased Priory Park and gifted it to the people of Southend, saying "I think it is a sin for a man to die rich, it is a great privilege to me to be able to do this, for I believe strongly in facilities for recreation".

Southend Athletic FC had a notable player at that time that went on to have a great career.

Andy (Mac) Ducat who can be seen in the photo below centre right, Andy gained six England Caps scoring once for his country, as well as an FA Cup winner’s medal, when he left Southend Athletic FC in 1905 he joined Arsenal playing in 175 games scoring 19 goals, then on to Aston Villa playing 74 games with 4 goals, and finally Fulham playing 64 times, he would go on to manage Fulham between 1924-26.

Andy (Mac) Ducat also had great Cricketing career, and joined Surrey at the Oval in 1906. He went on to appear in 429 matches, scoring 23,373 runs, which included 52 100’s, and 109 50’s, his top score was 306 not out, he made 206 catches, he even took 21 wickets while bowing. He also played for England in one test against Australia scoring 5 runs.

After Andy retired from cricket in 1931, Ducat became cricket coach at Eton College for five years. He was also a sports reporter for the Daily Sketch. He died suddenly in 1942 during a game at Lord's Cricket Ground of an apparent heart attack after lunch whilst playing in a wartime cricket match between teams from his unit of the Home Guard from Surrey against another from Sussex. The match was immediately abandoned as a mark of respect for Ducat. He was aged 56, and is the only person to have died while playing in a match at Lord's.

RIP Andy (Mac) Ducat

DTgkxXIXUAAGRs4.jpg

f7b2d140d7fa583a8deebd1c01472c44.jpg

Here we have a photo of the first Southend United Football Club team from 1906-07.

One notable player in that first Southend United team was Harold (Harry) Hasle (bottom centre of pic) from Wanstead, who played for Southend United between 1906 and 1907, he played in 65 games and scored an impressive 91 goals. He transferred to Manchester United in 1908 for the maximum transfer fee allowed at that time, £350. He scored 56 goals in 125 appearances for Manchester United, and won the First Division title in 1908 and 1911, and the FA Cup in 1909. In the 1911 FA Charity Shield against Swindon Town. Halse scored six goals for United in an 8-4 win for his team.

He moved to Aston Villa for £1200 in 1912. He won the 1913 FA Cup with Villa and also scored all 5 when Aston Villa beat Derby County 5-1, but he signed for Chelsea shortly afterwards. While at Chelsea, Halse once again reached an FA Cup final, in 1915, although this time he finished on the losing side. He remained with Chelsea until 1921, scoring 25 goals in 111 games, and had a spell at Charlton Athletic before retiring in 1923.

Halse was the first player to appear in three FA Cup finals for three clubs.

Halse was capped once for England, in an 8-1 win over Austria on 1 June 1909. He scored twice in this game.

Southend United 1906-1907.jpg

I have a distant relative who played for Southend United at one point a time long ago.. I have found him in one of @DoDTS post or books somewhere. Can you lay your hands on it Pete? His last name was Emery.

Probably in my genes all those hidden years to end up supporting my local team.

I have a distant relative who played for Southend United at one point a time long ago.. I have found him in one of @DoDTS post or books somewhere. Can you lay your hands on it Pete? His last name was Emery.

Probably in my genes all those hidden years to end up supporting my local team.

Was it Ernie Emery played for us just after the Firs tworld war
https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/a-century-ago-southend-united-1919-20-episode-23.99747/

If not could it have been Dick Emery I see a likeness :

OIP.s_3IeUMU3hQsvetON_D9jwHaEM
12220982_ori.jpg

Ooh, you are awful Cricko

Happy Christmas to all

DoDtS

Yes it was him @DoDTS , great find and thank you, My grandfather's name was Ernest Emery,so there is some link there. I will have to talk to my older sister, she knows more.

Ps: Yes I know hard to believe I have an older sister etc etc. :Moon:

Haha at the second reference GiT! :Hilarious:

Last edited:
This is also why it has always been my wish and will continue to be, to keep ALL old posts and threads on here. Over 85,000 threads and 2 million posts.

Hence why we pay for an expensive dedicated server these days to store All the data.

Another Leigh man in that Southend United Team pic of 1906-07 was Jimmy Axcell.

There is an interesting bit about him here, the game mentioned he played for us against Chelsea was the 1st Round of the FA Cup on the 11th Jan 1913, we played away and lost 5-2

Jimmy Axcell.jpg

Here is a bit about him in an extract from Peter Miles great book "101 Interesting Facts on Southend United"

Jimmy Axcell 2.jpg

Great find again..Again the link..my grandfather played or managed (not sure which) Leigh Town. I have the original old framed photograph of that team and there is one of his relatives in that. Sorry about the poor quality.

leigh town 2.jpgleigh town 1.jpg

Last edited:
My Grandfather Ernest Walter Emery on the left with my Grandmother, Mum and Dad.

mum 2.jpg

Last edited:
Cricko, Off topic .....Did you have an Emery relative who lived in Billericay in the 60's-early 70's ?

I don't think so Gary, but will ask my sister when I see her over Christmas up from Somerset, She knows most of the family tree, so will get back to you on it.

And I think Axcell is a Wakering name , although the Ref of that name lived in Billericay
Do you mean Dave Axcell? he did live in Little Wakering Road back in the day just past the Castle public house not far from where my Mum & Dad lived and even closer to my brother. I also remember back in the 80's he refereed Bohemians Praha in a UEFA Cup match and gave me the programme from it. Not sure if he is still around, maybe Mick will know but I did use to seen him in ASDA at Shoebury in the last few years.

Back