• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
we all used to support Southend. We all had different ideas of who should play and different opinions on players ability but at the end of the day we could all meet up in a pub, on a train or coach or at a match and give our support for the lads in blue.

We may not agree with each other, but that was as far as it went.

Nowadays it would seem that people now cannot even agree to differ. Some of the more moderate posters on here, who generally hold a certain view, are completely bullied, abused and sometimes threatened by some who hold counter views.

I've spent some time looking around the forums tonight and see that this isn't just confined to this one - it's also in the pub, the politics forum, and seems to be the same vitriolic posts from the same angry posters.

Do people think that if everyone met up they'd be capable of a decent conversation, a beer or two, shake hands at the end, agree to differ and then develop a mutual respect for the views? Because this is what I think needs to happen.

Is anyone else up for that? Or is it necessary to hide behind the anonymity of a username and keyboard so that abuse and threats are easier to make. Because as the main sponsor of this site I originally agreed to the sponsorship to keep the site open so that we could discuss Southend United, not see almost every thread descend into a slanging match.

I'm not talking about a love in, or stopping people expressing their views; I'm just talking about the respectful position of agreeing to differ without hurling abuse at everyone.

Thoughts?

Too many keyboard warriors.
Oh for happier times when all we had to worry about was fm 13.123234567, a 12 year old shrimpboy or Scriven and Westcliff shrimper arguing about whose idea it was to start the website.

Maybe you should threaten to withdraw your sponsorship Mark and then see? There are not many on here that I have a problem with in real life, Scott may be a thorn in my side at times but he has also been very supportive. Pubey and I have had constant run ins but have met several times at matches and are both still alive to tell the tale. There are those though, and I don't need to name them, whose very purpose seems to be to antagonise and offend on a personal level. That's really not on, as you say, we're all supporting the same football team here believe it or not. There's bound to be some differences of opinion at times, it would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed all the time, but people need to learn to respect that other people have a view and the forums are the place to express it.

Too many people just don't understand the function of the facility to "ignore" people, if us more moderate posters annoy you then please ignore us, I'm sure I speak for "the collective" when I say it's no skin off our noses. That way others won't get into trouble for using foul, abusive or offensive language, and they can just sit behind their keyboards and be angry or whatever without actually offending. No-one minds people being angry, do they?

I've found myself posting less and less on sz because of the atmosphere on here now. Been hinted at a 'seeing to' a couple of times and my mate was also offered a straight out a while back and he doesn't post anything that controversial.

Sz is just not a fun place to be anymore and I only really lurk now to get news, which is sad as I like to join in a debate, but it'd just not worth the stress of it.

I've found myself posting less and less on sz because of the atmosphere on here now. Been hinted at a 'seeing to' a couple of times and my mate was also offered a straight out a while back and he doesn't post anything that controversial.

Sz is just not a fun place to be anymore and I only really lurk now to get news, which is sad as I like to join in a debate, but it'd just not worth the stress of it.

you still got that dart set you want to sell?

I guess this place was happier when we had happier times on the pitch (and off). A lot of peoples anger and frustration is with the club, Uncle Ron, Luggy and his offspring, some of the awful players we have. This manifests itself on here I think with backbiting and bitchiness. I mean when we win there are very few threads but when we lose there are dozens.

I couldnt agree more pboreham. You're one of many I would think (including me), given how the number of posts and threads have been plummeting.

We always used to be ****e pre-2004 after this website started, no one used to have slanging matches then!

I rarely post now as there's barely any conversations worth joining in with and if someone disagrees with me I get shot down.

Bring back Rivals.net!

I guess this place was happier when we had happier times on the pitch (and off). A lot of peoples anger and frustration is with the club, Uncle Ron, Luggy and his offspring, some of the awful players we have. This manifests itself on here I think with backbiting and bitchiness. I mean when we win there are very few threads but when we lose there are dozens.

That doesn't excuse some of the behaviour, though... What's happened shouldn't be a license for some posters to be a law unto themselves and offer to fight posters whose only crime is to adopt an opinion contrary to theirs. No matter what you do, somebody somewhere will disagree with you, and if your response to that is to fight them then it doesn't exactly bode well.

i can assure you that if we start winning and playing well this site will return to how it was... However i still like it for hearing news and rumours no matter how obscure they can be :-)

I fear for the longevity of this place if it is only to be pleasant when Southend United are playing consistently well and winning, as that's quite rare.

Maybe you should threaten to withdraw your sponsorship Mark and then see? There are not many on here that I have a problem with in real life, Scott may be a thorn in my side at times but he has also been very supportive. Pubey and I have had constant run ins but have met several times at matches and are both still alive to tell the tale. There are those though, and I don't need to name them, whose very purpose seems to be to antagonise and offend on a personal level. That's really not on, as you say, we're all supporting the same football team here believe it or not. There's bound to be some differences of opinion at times, it would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed all the time, but people need to learn to respect that other people have a view and the forums are the place to express it.

Too many people just don't understand the function of the facility to "ignore" people, if us more moderate posters annoy you then please ignore us, I'm sure I speak for "the collective" when I say it's no skin off our noses. That way others won't get into trouble for using foul, abusive or offensive language, and they can just sit behind their keyboards and be angry or whatever without actually offending. No-one minds people being angry, do they?

What can I say I love to get a reaction - I mean no harm though

Though I don't like to see bullying or personal abuse of others on the 'Zone, I must admit to a slight visceral thrill when I see a bit of 'edge' happening around the place. Sometimes it can be quite subtle and there are some little gems contained within posters' rep which can be quite revealing, often saying most about the person giving it. I say long live a little frisson on the 'Zone - there's enough 'Health and Safety' miseries taking the edge out of life elsewhere without falling into line with it here. :soapbox:

People not being happy at the current situation both on and off the pitch shocker.

Ok this doesnt excuse personal abuse (I haven't seen any to be honest but is its been mentioned I assume it does) but I can understand why people get frustrated with people saying 'there's nothing we can do as Ron holds all the cards'. There MUST be something that can be done. The bottom line is the current crop of players aren't much cop and the new stadium hasn't been built.

We're moving backwards not forwards and that is more than most supporters can cope with. I love Southend United and attend as many games as possible but it can be a harrowing experience these days. When the most exciting thing to happen at a game is a Seagull on the pitch you know things are dire.

I don't post much here anymore as its a bit like Groundhog day with the same threads and the same posters taking the same stance. I imagine trench warfare is pretty similar with little or no ground won.

Last edited:
Though I don't like to see bullying or personal abuse of others on the 'Zone, I must admit to a slight visceral thrill when I see a bit of 'edge' happening around the place. Sometimes it can be quite subtle and there are some little gems contained within posters' rep which can be quite revealing, often saying most about the person giving it. I say long live a little frisson on the 'Zone - there's enough 'Health and Safety' miseries taking the edge out of life elsewhere without falling into line with it here. :soapbox:

Think the point is, there is no need for it. We are all on the 'same team', even if we dont all see eye-to-eye.

Just the whole atmosphere of the club is in the gutter really, either on here or at the ground. Just not a nice club to be around at the moment.

People not being happy at the current situation both on and off the pitch shocker.

Ok this doesnt excuse personal abuse but I can understand why people get frustrated with people saying 'there's nothing we can do as Ron holds all the cards'. There MUST be something that can be done. The bottom line is the current crop aren't much cop and the new stadium hasn't been built. Were moving backwards not forwards and that is more than most supporters can cope with.

I don't post much here anymore as its a bit like Groundhog day with the same threads and the same posters taking the same stance. I imagine trench warfare is pretty similar.

Spot on.

People are doing something about it though...

3 out of every 10 people that regularly attended last season, have stayed away this season.

Rightly or wrongly, that is a significant showing of the "feeling" amongst the fanbase.

I think the Zone is a reflection of what is happening at the club and can only ever be as good as the input of it's members.You want "a better Zone" this has to be created by you all.

Action has been taken against those that we feel are/have been over-stepping "the mark" and we will continue to monitor things as and if we see them..members can of course report any posts they feel are out of order or over the top.

We do not condone personal abuse whatsoever and will punish those that continue to abuse others, but understand that many people are frustrated with everything to do with SUFC at the moment.

It would of course help us if you were all kind and polite to each other on a daily basis but we do realise with so many differing views on here, the need for free speech and not to over moderate the Zone some things will slip through.

We as Owners and Mods will never get it right 100% of the time and rely on you all to moderate yourselves and report others who you feel do not. The rule should always be think twice..post once.

I fear for the longevity of this place if it is only to be pleasant when Southend United are playing consistently well and winning, as that's quite rare.

On the flip side, I remember people saying it has been quiet on here when we've been doing well (last couple of months of the 2008/09 season spring to mind) as there was nothing to moan about!

Back