• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

It seems this season may be hitting a brick wall partly due to an awful record of injuries! I have no doubts our first team on a regular basis would be a force to be reckoned with in this division.

Well my question is why/how we have such a poor record of injuries this season?

Is something wrong with our training?

Have we signed too many injury prone players? (Phillips/Corr/Eastwood etc)

Is our physio not good enough? (by perception i wouldn't be inspired seeing as its his profession, lets be honest)

Simply bad luck? (yes that is possible)

Whatever is the problem it seems to be worse than ever this season.

There can be no blame on budget or squad size seeing as ours is one of the bigger ones in the division.

I was thinking just the same thing. Prob haven't got right staff/resources with our finances. Very frustrating.

it always seems to be the way that one player gets injured, we deal with it, but then more and more just keep following which we simply cannot cope with! it's like we're just watching all the hard work in the first season being undone just by injuries!

It seems this season may be hitting a brick wall partly due to an awful record of injuries! I have no doubts our first team on a regular basis would be a force to be reckoned with in this division.

Is our physio not good enough? (by perception i wouldn't be inspired seeing as its his profession, lets be honest)

There can be no blame on budget or squad size seeing as ours is one of the bigger ones in the division.

First of all, the players have repeatedly complimented Ben Clarkson on his hard work in the physio room. Secondly I don't see what weight has to do with being a physio, if he was fitness coach then perhaps. In fact the best physio I ever had was a sizeable woman, so your remarks are a little ridiculous.

I think there is a certain amount of luck involved, if you look at the Timlin leg break- that could have gone either way.

Whatever it is, it's all come at once and I think it will be the undoing of our season.

Last season the O's had 7 keepers because of injuries and 22 different players playing in the back 4. Sometimes things like this just happen, wouldn't blame your physio.

Thank you MK for the first Eastwood/Harris slag-off post of the day. I'll start looking for the next one now.

Perhaps you can get one on every thread today, you negative muppet. Why don't you change the record?

Thank you MK for the first Eastwood/Harris slag-off post of the day. I'll start looking for the next one now.

Perhaps you can get one on every thread today, you negative muppet. Why don't you change the record?

Yeah because they're such prominent players aren't they? Nice to know our wages are spent on two players who are getting splinters in their arses. Take your rose tinted glasses off.

And just to jog your memory here's one of your first comments.

Unfortunately he is twice the Eastwood of 6 years ago.....

Yeah because they're such prominent players aren't they? Nice to know our wages are spent on two players who are getting splinters in their arses. Take your rose tinted glasses off.

And just to jog your memory here's one of your first comments.

Can anyone challenge negativity on here without having the most tedious 'rose tinted glasses' nonsense spouted at them?

Can anyone challenge negativity on here without having the most tedious 'rose tinted glasses' nonsense spouted at them?

Give me one positive about the re-signing of Eastwood and "Mr Southend" Neil Harris. I was as chuffed as anyone when Fred rejoined us at the back end of last season but we wait and we wait and we wait for him to get fit and..........

Even in one against a bunch of amateurs he can't be bothered FFS!

I think its fair to say Phillips is an injury prone player. He played something like 70 games in nearly 7 years at Millwall. Corr we know about. Tomlin I believe has also suffered a few injuries over the years, ditto Chris Barker. The problem has been the back up and the expensive flops in Harris, Freddy, Benyon, Spicer, Martin. Also looking at last night showed just how crucial Timlin is. Ive not always been his biggest fan but we looked rudderless in there without him. Laird doesnt seem the leader type nor Hurst. He for me has been the biggest loss.

All this slagging of Harris is a bit harsh. Last season his partnership with Freddy changed our style of play and almost got us into the automatics, and he's barely been on the pitch since due to injury and now he's *****??

Training? I wouldn't have thought so. I don't think Luggy/Coughlan would have changed their methods too much from last season, so it's unlikely that it'll be responsible for such a disastrous season injury wise this term.

Signing too many injury prone players? Perhaps. The very essence of the transfer market is the very best players float to the top and command higher fees/wages, so we'll be left picking up players who are found wanting physically, mentally or technically in some area. Corr, as a prime example, would be playing Championship football by now if he could play 50+ games per season without any repercussions. Phillips too would be playing at a higher level if he was more mobile.

I wouldn't blame Clarkson either. The players who've dealt with him wax lyrical about his ability to get them playing again, and he can hardly be to blame for injuries picked up on the field. Do we still have a strength and conditioning coach? The one we had when Barnard was around worked wonders in getting him and keeping him in good condition, but I understand he departed around the same time Tilson did (Think he might've even ended up at Palace with Freedman?). If we don't, we could sure use one.

Simple bad luck would probably be a strong determinant factor. I certainly can't remember picking up so many niggling injuries over the course of a season, and that in turn has forced us to perhaps rush players back before they're ready, exacerbating the problem.

Sadly Mr Mk's cup is not half full or half empty, I don't think he even has one. Mind you I have never seen him and Wiggy post at the same time!

Do we still have a strength and conditioning coach? The one we had when Barnard was around worked wonders in getting him and keeping him in good condition, but I understand he departed around the same time Tilson did (Think he might've even ended up at Palace with Freedman?). If we don't, we could sure use one.

Laurence Bloom. Went to Charlton 2 years ago Southend have been left with a vacancy after the exit of their strength and conditioning coach Laurence Bloom to Charlton.The highly-rated 29-year-old will be leaving Roots Hall to take up a similar position at the League One club.Bloom was responsible for planning the players' pre-season programmes and he played a vital role in keeping the previously injury-prone Lee Barnard and Barry Corr fit for Blues.Southend's player-coach Graham Coughlan said: "Speaking on behalf of the whole group we are really going to miss him," said Coughlan."He did some unbelievable work for the football club and will be a big, big miss for us."He was a joy and pleasure to work with and whoever comes in to replace him has some very big shoes to fill."
Apologies again if already mentioned.

Laurence Bloom. Went to Charlton 2 years ago Southend have been left with a vacancy after the exit of their strength and conditioning coach Laurence Bloom to Charlton.The highly-rated 29-year-old will be leaving Roots Hall to take up a similar position at the League One club.Bloom was responsible for planning the players' pre-season programmes and he played a vital role in keeping the previously injury-prone Lee Barnard and Barry Corr fit for Blues.Southend's player-coach Graham Coughlan said: "Speaking on behalf of the whole group we are really going to miss him," said Coughlan."He did some unbelievable work for the football club and will be a big, big miss for us."He was a joy and pleasure to work with and whoever comes in to replace him has some very big shoes to fill."
Apologies again if already mentioned.

Aye, he did some great work in his time here... when El Macca wasn't flipping him the bird, of course.

First of all, the players have repeatedly complimented Ben Clarkson on his hard work in the physio room. Secondly I don't see what weight has to do with being a physio, if he was fitness coach then perhaps. In fact the best physio I ever had was a sizeable woman, so your remarks are a little ridiculous.

I think there is a certain amount of luck involved, if you look at the Timlin leg break- that could have gone either way.

Whatever it is, it's all come at once and I think it will be the undoing of our season.

It was a question not a statement but as youve now stated my comment was rediculous I will go into it more....

I personally would expect that anyone who gave advice on how to treat our bodies should keep themselves in good shape.

Back