• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our job as Fans

I thought we were all Southend United fans - so the same side (or at least should be).

I suppose this is where opinions come in, as I believe if Tilson goes we will be where Darlo are this time next year. I struggle to see how in the last four months anyone else could have done much else with no money, generally no real choice in team selction, and no pay.

As far as replacing key players, I agree with you to an extent but from a slightly different angle. As you say Eastwood is very hard to replace someone of that quality. I would be more of the thankful angle that Tilly found one of them rather than asking why he didn't find another. As for Gower, I would put him in the same bracket as Eastwood in terms be being almost imposible to replace, he was quality.

Clarke I do not agree, as you said those players were not replaced when the money was available. No money has been available since Clarke left.

JCR I agree, we actually have not signed an out and out winger since he left.

I said I agree slighty differently. Where I think (and have always thought) Tilly has underachieved is when he has spent money, when he has spent "big" it has looked completely wasted, Paynter, Foran etc. However, no manager makes brilliant signing that work for a football club everytime.

Your entitled to your opinion but the fact remains that year on year since promotion to the championship the club has been going backwards

Not out of order I have thought of you as a pillock for some time

I think TrueBlue is experiencing some sort of relegation related nervous breakdown. Can anyone that knows him ask him if he wants to talk about it and give him a hug?

Last edited:
Sorry George but im not with you here.

Ron Martin and his complete lack of funding have without question caused the bulk of the problems but the players have to shoulder some of the blame too.

How many times have we failed to kill of poor opposition at home, How many silly reds have we had that have cost us dearly, How many goals have our stikers actually scored?

A lot of the players are simply not good enough and I can kind of cope with that but when you see them like I did today not really giving a **** despite being in a relegation battle its hurts like ****. The bulk of them trudged off like naughty school boys at the end and I think that says it all. That is not aimed at the younger lads like Crawford, herd etc.

that says it all for more.

Are you an idiot? Have you ever watched football in your life? Barrett saved our arses on more than one occasion, it's not his bloody fault he hasn't had a regular partner at CB all season.

Mate throwing yourself in to make blocks in the area 3 times a game doesn't make you a good defender, it just means you were hopelessly out of position to start with. Our defence has been garbage since Sodje went the exception being the end of last season when Dervite and Clark played together in the middle and Barrett was moved out of the way to left back. The one constant in years of bad defences has been Barrett, wholehearted I agree but severely limited as a defender. As soon as we went up to the Championship the forwards there quickly sussed out that you attack him on his right hand side and the rest is easy. Clearly you have never played as a defender although you may qualify as an idiot!!

Mate throwing yourself in to make blocks in the area 3 times a game doesn't make you a good defender, it just means you were hopelessly out of position to start with. Our defence has been garbage since Sodje went the exception being the end of last season when Dervite and Clark played together in the middle and Barrett was moved out of the way to left back. The one constant in years of bad defences has been Barrett, wholehearted I agree but severely limited as a defender. As soon as we went up to the Championship the forwards there quickly sussed out that you attack him on his right hand side and the rest is easy. Clearly you have never played as a defender although you may qualify as an idiot!!

totally agree Dodgeblue

I think some people are being way too harsh on Tilly here.

Firstly when you're on the budget we're on, you're gonna be taking risks with your signings. Tilson was never in the position to stump up £600,000 for players like Rickie Lambert or Simon Cox so he was only ever able to gamble on unproven players from the divisions below or from the reserve sides of Premiership. Sometimes those gambles didn't pay off (e.g. Walker, Harrold) and sometimes they did (e.g. Barnard, Bailey, Eastwood).

The money Tilson's been given to spend on players isn't anywhere near the money we've received from transfer fees. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the last time we actually paid money for a player was January 2009. Since relegation from the Championship, Tilson's job description has gradually turned from football manager to miracle worker.

I agree.
trouble for me is that Tilson's team selections seem to be all about the players personality rather than ability.

No wins since Barrett has returned from suspension, and no sign of the situation being changed either.

I like Barrett for his commitment but its ability that wins games!

I think some people are being way too harsh on Tilly here.

Firstly when you're on the budget we're on, you're gonna be taking risks with your signings. Tilson was never in the position to stump up £600,000 for players like Rickie Lambert or Simon Cox so he was only ever able to gamble on unproven players from the divisions below or from the reserve sides of Premiership. Sometimes those gambles didn't pay off (e.g. Walker, Harrold) and sometimes they did (e.g. Barnard, Bailey, Eastwood).

The money Tilson's been given to spend on players isn't anywhere near the money we've received from transfer fees. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the last time we actually paid money for a player was January 2009. Since relegation from the Championship, Tilson's job description has gradually turned from football manager to miracle worker.

Tilson or Brush??

Back