• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Painting a plastered wall?

DTS

The Business
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Recently had the bedroom re-plastered in one of my flats. It was almost a week ago and as of last night all the dark plaster had dried and I am now confident that its ready to paint. I plan to have a crack Saturday while Mrs DtS and GoDoDtS are out doing there own thing

One of the lads I play football with told me you should do a first coat which is half water half paint?

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Whats the science behind it?

Anyone got any tips on painting plaster they are gladly recieved?

Ta
DtS

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Recently had the bedroom re-plastered in one of my flats. It was almost a week ago and as of last night all the dark plaster had dried and I am now confident that its ready to paint. I plan to have a crack Saturday while Mrs DtS and GoDoDtS are out doing there own thing

One of the lads I play football with told me you should do a first coat which is half water half paint?

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Whats the science behind it?

Anyone got any tips on painting plaster they are gladly recieved?

Ta
DtS

Yep half and half to start mate, and let that thoroughly dry (3-4 hours) before putting your second and top coats on .. the idea is the ****y (urine like .. poxy swear filter) coat (as its called) will seal any light cracks and form a new skin for the paint to adhere to

Yep, get a decorator in to do it for you and p1$s off down the pub!

Here I am Steve trying to make a better life for myself and my family and you sit there and encourage me to go drinking.

You really are scum of the highest order......

x

Yep half and half to start mate, and let that thoroughly dry (3-4 hours) before putting your second and top coats on .. the idea is the ****y (urine like .. poxy swear filter) coat (as its called) will seal any light cracks and form a new skin for the paint to adhere to

Thanks mate,

So presumably I just buy the cheapest emulsion going then?

Also sorry to be thick but warm or cold water?

ta

anyone else think from the title this was gonna be a dave the shrimper thread like the old days?

anyone else think from the title this was gonna be a dave the shrimper thread like the old days?

I am sure some of the Talk to a Stranger geniuses could come up with a scenario for "painting a plastered wall" ;)

Maybe DtS settling down was one the reasons people moan SZ is not what it once was?

Thanks mate,

ta

Dulux is the way to go mate, you get what you pay for so its worth shelling out an extra couple of quid (or about 50p a litre) and cold water is fine

As for Steve's comments about paying someone .. i'm in the middle of a load of work at home and although i'm doing the vast majority of painting myself i'm paying a professional to do the ceilings and my wardrobe doors, as they are key areas that if done to a high standard really show the room off

I just painted a newly plastered wall with that "one coat" paint and it did the job fine. Sod the two coats bollox.

Maybe DtS settling down was one the reasons people moan SZ is not what it once was?

I have been told by four posters now that I am officially not as funny as I used to be.

Almost grounds to have an affair and get some good stories just to get my rep back.....

I have been told by four posters now that I am officially not as funny as I used to be.

Almost grounds to have an affair and get some good stories just to get my rep back.....

I'd be more concerned about your talking furniture tbh mate ... and the fact you are listening to it :tumbleweed:

Thanks mate,

ta

It may be easier just to use plaster primer... it does exactly the same as the half paint/water mix but saves the mixing!! Works well and is easy to use (although it is like painting with an old blokes runny mix :stunned:). You can pick this stuff up cheap at any B&G type place.

Main reason for needing to do this is that plaster is pourous (i.e. it absorbs water)... The primer basically seals the plaster. If you don't use a primer (or the paint/water mix) the plaster will draw moisture out of your paint and your lovely new paint will crack like crazy paving (and eventually flake off the wall)!

Back