• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First 3 mins of the game crosses were flying into our box from all angles and he was just rooted, very disappointing. His shot stopping is good but youd expect a professional keeper to make lots of saves in a match. Communication is non existent. Would like to see Bentley in for Saturday.

(in no particular order)

1. Capleton
  2. Morris
  3. Evans
  4. Collis
  5. Emberson
  6. Prudhoe
  7. Margetson
  8. Griemink
  9. Southall
  10. Robinson

And I'm sure there are others out there that I can't remember. Such as Belford.

Vale stopper gills stopper then smith imo. We are a league 2 sidue with a league to keeper thats it. We can debate all day long which is good fun and banter but the manager picks the team and if smith is named im happy and will back him and my team. Yes he has faults but so does every keeper and player in the world

Once again, I am NOT Smith bashing, I am just giving my input on the discussion.

He is a very decent shot stopper and his long and heavy kicks are very decent when not under pressure. However, negatives wise, the defence clearly lack confidence in him, he is a poor communicator as today proved, his decision making in terms of coming of his line is poor as is his aerial ability.

He is average at this level and consider the career he has had to date, I expected more. Maybe he is better than we have seen thus far, to me he is clearly lacking confidence, (Sure I read PS say he has never full recovered confidence wise from the injury at Gills earlier this season), I just fear he will cost us. The whol keeper situation was a farce this summer and I feel that PS never really got who he wanted

If the question is which keeper also doesn't claim crosses but are far inferior in other departments, then yes, I guess you're right.
The defence(s) in front of Morris & Belford haven't been nervous though. But they do look it in front of Smith. But he's got a lovely goal-kick on him so, I guess you're right

Of course he'll cost us! There isn't a keeper in the league that doesn't cost their team points at some point. Man United field De Gea in goal, and Joe Hart has made more than a couple of errors this season! However the latter is clearly is one of the best keepers in the premier league, just as Smith is one of the best keepers in League 2.

And for the record, Assombalonga has missed chances this season, Cresswell has lost his man on occasions, and sometimes Hurst misplaces a cross. Does that mean they have 'cost us' too? Have you ever been part of a team? Not everyone gets everything right all the time, and some team members have imperfections that mean others need to cover for them.

And, whilst I'm ranting, we were linked with numerous keepers this summer, none of whom have gone onto anything better than Smith. Most are in a reserve side somewhere, non-league, or without a club.

:omg: Did you really just compare Smith to De Gea and Hart :omg:

I have seen it all now from our blinkered fans!!!

:net: I jest, I jest

The defence(s) in front of Morris & Belford haven't been nervous though. But they do look it in front of Smith. But he's got a lovely goal-kick on him so, I guess you're right

Spot on and neither did the fans

:omg: Did you really just compare Smith to De Gea and Hart :omg:

I have seen it all now from our blinkered fans!!!

:net: I jest, I jest

I think you'll find he compared them within the context of their respective leagues.

Besides, comparing doesn't mean likening. I was compared to George Clooney once, I was told he was much better looking than me. It's still a comparison!

and just edited to say I didn't see the :net: Doh!

Last edited:
Just ignore this attention seeking excrement smear (I mean Wiggy). If isn't this it will be something else. Obviously several days alone with only pot noodles and banana for company has had it's effect

That is a tad offensive. Unnecessary. Wiggy does my nut in too but it hardly warrants this level of personal abuse. Consider yourself chastised.

We all have opinions and all like banter and all want southend to be the best but personal attacks of sort is not on

Sorry I know people stick up for Smith but he was at fault for their goal today. For someone who has played most of his career at a higher level you would at least expect him to command his area. He gets stick on here and to be honest a lot of it is justified as he doesn't do himself any favours with his decision making. Yes he is a good shot stopper but a keeper, especially one with height on his side, that doesn't come for crosses is not worthy of being called a keeper. Personally would like to see Bentley back in goal as he plays with no fear and doesn't make the crowd or defence nervous. The nervous part was highlighted today when Prosser would rather knock it out for a throw rather than knock it back for Smith to clear I think that tells its own story

I think you'll find he compared them within the context of their respective leagues.

Besides, comparing doesn't mean likening. I was compared to George Clooney once, I was told he was much better looking than me. It's still a comparison!

and just edited to say I didn't see the :net: Doh!

Oh George Crabby :facepalm:

That is a tad offensive. Unnecessary. Wiggy does my nut in too but it hardly warrants this level of personal abuse. Consider yourself chastised.

Consider yourself to have received a suitably rude gesture in response to your pomposity. And I think you will find Wiggy can dish it out with the best.

Consider yourself to have received a suitably rude gesture in response to your pomposity. And I think you will find Wiggy can dish it out with the best.

It's fine, some people do get vile on a keyboard after there 1st pint!

Indecicive, incompentent at catching, unable to commant his area, lacks creativity. How can people on here defend a keeper that displays the attributes that I have just listed?. Yes, he is a good shot stopper, and his distribution is OK, you can all use the "but he is one of the best keepers in the league card" but when you look at the quality of the rest.. Its harldy saturated with quality is it?!

We need a keeper that has all round ability in all areas, not just very good at one thing, one that will not leave the defence guessing or exposed! (coners & free kicks). I would be looking at a replacement in the January window..

Back