• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SimonRav

Whilst I have been signed up on SZ for sometime my posts are few and far between, I am more of an observer.
Some recent posts particularly after defeats are so negative. In my opinion I think PS is a very good experienced manager at this level and we should be very grateful to have him, furthermore, I think we need to be patient and judge him over 2 seasons. The harsh facts are Tilson whilst a legend and dealt a terrible hand in his last days, had his day and a change was needed. PS came in with nothing, no money to spend and assembled a squad with barely no match or fitness preparation to start the new season from match one. Yes, there have been mistakes and yes, there are players probably not good enough but I believe he has performed a miracle to get this team at this stage to be competitive in this division from such a disadvantaged start. If they are top ten in May he has performed exceptionally, if they are top seven then he should be provided legend status. With a bit of luck and a fair wind I believe next season will be successful.
So for those who's opinions chop and change from game to game, remember success is not immediate and we have no divine right to it, teams, players and managers cannot be judged over short periods, you need to have patience and most of all support and really get behind the team.
He is a good guy with a very good pedigree at this level, so give him your backing.....please

Don't disagree with any of that. I think our squad is better than it has been for a while as it goes. Considering Sturrock had to make some panic signings as he admitted he had too, most have been of decent quality and some such as Moshni, Barker and Corr have so far proved to be fantastic. If we could finish in the top half this year i'd be mightily impressed and with a few more shrewd signings we could be looking at the play-offs next year. There's a bit of positivty back and in my opinion it feels as though we have stopped the rot and the downward spiral and hopefully we're now in a position to kick on again.

Sturrock has had incredibly tough job not only in having no money but the fact he followed one of the greatest SUFC managers/player/legends ever and so far so good for me.

Whilst I have been signed up on SZ for sometime my posts are few and far between, I am more of an observer.
Some recent posts particularly after defeats are so negative. In my opinion I think PS is a very good experienced manager at this level and we should be very grateful to have him, furthermore, I think we need to be patient and judge him over 2 seasons. The harsh facts are Tilson whilst a legend and dealt a terrible hand in his last days, had his day and a change was needed. PS came in with nothing, no money to spend and assembled a squad with barely no match or fitness preparation to start the new season from match one. Yes, there have been mistakes and yes, there are players probably not good enough but I believe he has performed a miracle to get this team at this stage to be competitive in this division from such a disadvantaged start. If they are top ten in May he has performed exceptionally, if they are top seven then he should be provided legend status. With a bit of luck and a fair wind I believe next season will be successful.
So for those who's opinions chop and change from game to game, remember success is not immediate and we have no divine right to it, teams, players and managers cannot be judged over short periods, you need to have patience and most of all support and really get behind the team.
He is a good guy with a very good pedigree at this level, so give him your backing.....please

Totally agree Harry

Totally agree, different planet to Tilson but face don't fit with most of the idiots!

Where would we be now if we didn't have him ? personally i think he is doing an outstanding job for us !

Hope the dipsticks who ran down the stairs in the East Greens to shout at Sturrock when Bury scored are reading this. I must admit I was pleased with most peoples reactions which was to tell them to go home if they didn't like it and to support the team / manager or shut up.

I did notice they only ran half way down the stairs and not all the way so Sturrock could have replied.

I'm sure that Paul Sturrock's poor health has been our good fortune.
If he hadn't been afflicted I'm certain that he wouldn't have ended up with us.
He would have been in the Championship somewhere.
I also woudn't mind betting that this time next year that he will have us in the top 2 or 3 of Divn 2.
A bit like the job that Micky Adams was doing with P Vale until he got poached= Year 1 get stablilised = Year 2 Promotion

Keep going Luggy!

He's doing OK, there are always going to be loud mouth idiots shouting abuse if things dont go our way and inevitably some will filter onto here, but by and large I think the fans are backing the manager. We have one in the West Stand who will not give it a rest to either Sturrock. The loud mouthed, empty vessel will always be heard - they pick their time, it is their moment of fame in what is probably a pretty mundane life.

I think he has done a pretty decent job to be honest. It was an almost impossible situation he walked into. I was gutted to see Tilly but in fairness to Sturrock he has done a good job given the turmoil the club was in.

I think he has major work still to do and personally I would say half the squad are duffers. I think he will never get a far crack from some for replacing Tilly but I don't think Tilly was blameless.

Is their anyone else who could have assembled a squad of players "who wanted to play for him" so quickly. Bear in mind day one he had four first team players, Grant, Paterson, Herd & Spencer. I think he is doing a fantastic job for us, even to be considering a play off spot a remote possibility in his first season.

I'm sure that Paul Sturrock's poor health has been our good fortune.
If he hadn't been afflicted I'm certain that he would have been in the Championship somewhere.
A bit like the job that Micky Adams was doing with P Vale until he got poached= Year 1 get stablilised = Year 2 Promotion

I think League 1 is about his level, actually. He's never had any success with teams in the Championship.

I have to agree that Sturrock is doing a very good job in the circumstances, and is a manager with more experience in achievement at this level than we could have hoped for in the summer. You have to say that in many respects his appointment was a bit of a coup: how many other managers would have wanted to touch Southend in the state they were in?

However, it will be very hard for him to be considered a legend, whatever he does. Partly this is due to a long tradition of Southend playing good football, which is something he will absolutely never do. For some fans the entertainment factor will nearly always be more important than getting the result, hence they dislike what Sturrock stands for in footballing terms. Many of these people probably renewed season tickets early at the cheaper rate and now find themselves effectively forced to watch football they dislike, even if it is played by a team they don't, having thought that they would be treated to more of Tilson's brand of football this season. These people won't be at the ground next season, at which point the negativity may fade, but while I can't say I support fans' abuse of the team and manager, I also think these fans have a right to their views and have the right to express them, which I think they will do with their feet next season.

Personally, I don't like his style of play but pretty much accept that without him we would be in serious risk of going down this season, and with him I still think we have a decent chance of top half and an improvement next year. If we survive financially that is...I've only just read that we are losing £100k per month. How the f*** are we managing that??

Given the circumstances, and I for one didn't think it right to sack Steve Tilson, I think that Paul Sturrock is doing a great job. If he is still with us this time next season and we are not in the top 7 then I might re-appraise, given his excellent record in this division.

I thought in June, managing Southend would be an impossible job, so if he can keep us in top half and maybe push for the play-off then he done more than I hoped for. Before he took over, my only fear that we would end up like Darlington, getting their a**es smacked every week and limp into the conference without a fight.

I thought in June, managing Southend would be an impossible job, so if he can keep us in top half and maybe push for the play-off then he done more than I hoped for. Before he took over, my only fear that we would end up like Darlington, getting their a**es smacked every week and limp into the conference without a fight.

If you have been affected by this post then you can speak in confidence to an adviser. For details log on to www.ruvurongtime.com

Agree with sentiments posted, who ever came in as manager was in for a very bumpy ride. Season about to begin, no team let alone a squad and of course the "southend faithful" or at least a few of them dont take kindly to heroes being replaced. Remember the warm welcome given to steve mildenhall not because there was anything particulary wrong with him, he just wasnt Flavs. So all in all anywhere above 22nd place will do me, mid table very possible, play offs dunno,but I live in hopes.

Back