• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think Ranger is a good footballer - and seems very committed to SUFC

BUT people have their limitations and he should not have been taking that penalty -

MORE significantly he should not have been deciding who took the penalty.

We pay a manager a lot of money to make decisions like this - it is his resposnsibility.

If Brown decided Ranger was to take it Brown was wrong -

If Brown lets the players - i.e. Ranger - decide he is wrong -

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE ?

According to the official site, 4 or 5 players were fighting over who was to take the penalty, surely it is part of the managers job in preparing for the game to designate one player to take the penalties and to nominate a back up if the designated taker if not on the pitch for any reason.

Sounds like Mr Brown failed in this simple task,but don't forget, he used to manage in the Premiership so knows what he is doing.:smile:

As long as you probably, maybe longer Rigers.

It was a light hearted joke Leo. I understand why you don't like Ranger and I don't blame you. For what its worth I absolutely knew he would miss yesterday.

However I don't agree he just wanted to wind up the Pompey fans. Our first choice taker has missed his last 2 and Ranger had scored his so not unreasonable for him to want it.

If we can give Ranger one bit of credit I have been impressed with the way he doesn't react to any provocation by the oppos players or fans. Even when he has taken some really heavy whacks.

Personally I’d like to see PB designate one player to take the next 3 penalties regardless of whether they score or not.

Changing the penalty taker every time we miss will only end up pressuring the next man. By giving the duty to one player it allows continuity and for them to make amends if they miss one.

Wright would be my first choice, followed by Wordsworth or MAF.

I reckon Nile Ranger was concentrating more on what his "Gangstar goal celebration" would be than actually tucking the pen away. If Wordsworth was playing he should 100% be our designated penalty taker. Otherwise Josh Wright .

Here is Josh Wright taking pens against tubes on Soccer am .... very funny :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmlohBt2z0

UTB

There is not a player on earth who has a 100% success records in penalty taking...give Ranger a break. It's more concerning that Coxy has lost his mojo. He should be first on the list, and eager to grab the ball.

Any professional footballer that misses the target from the spot should be fined a months wages

Not quite sure why a number of players were squabbling about who should take the penalty but that said, penalties get missed, at all levels of the game (England v Germany anyone?.)

The problem with that is that there's no pressure in a training situation, any professional footballer should be able to pick their spot from the penality spot and hit it but when you've got thousands of fans trying to put you off it becomes a lot harder, especially if you are behind/drawing at the time. As a result we're just going to have to cycle through players until we find someone that can take them.

Pressure does funny things to people. However the more you practice the less pressure is an issue, because when under pressure you rely on what you know, and what you've done in the past.

As Gary Player once said, "The more I practice the luckier I get".

Nile Ranger is the biggest waste of space to ever wear a Southend shirt. I'm not a PB out man at all but I blame him for the way he's supported such a person.

No he's not.

Last edited:
The fact that players were apparently arguing about who takes the penalty whilst on the pitch, is a huge indictment of a lack of Management preparation off the pitch.

I think Ranger is a good footballer - and seems very committed to SUFC

BUT people have their limitations and he should not have been taking that penalty -

MORE significantly he should not have been deciding who took the penalty.

We pay a manager a lot of money to make decisions like this - it is his resposnsibility.

If Brown decided Ranger was to take it Brown was wrong -

If Brown lets the players - i.e. Ranger - decide he is wrong -

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE ?

Didnt Ranger score the last one he took?

So why shouldnt he have been taking it?

Cox has handed over penalty taking duty after missing. Lenny handed the ball to Ranger, probably trying to give him an easy goal to boost his confidence. But it's the sort of thing you do when 2-0 up, otherwise you use your best penalty taker, and that's Josh Wright.

Chris Phillips tweeted after that Wright missed his last 3.

The fact that players were apparently arguing about who takes the penalty whilst on the pitch, is a huge indictment of a lack of Management preparation off the pitch.

Oddly, I would be more concerned if no one had had shown the desire to take it. At least there was a sign of confidence from those that argued for it.

PB is making a film on set pieces. A full 2 hours on throw's, corners, free kicks and now penalties all being delivered directly to the opposition. In fact we are so bad at them we must practice taking them badly in training.

PB is making a film on set pieces. A full 2 hours on throw's, corners, free kicks and now penalties all being delivered directly to the opposition. In fact we are so bad at them we must practice taking them badly in training.

Exactly,nearly all our corners or free kicks are headed away by the opposition and also when defending them we're as bad as the opposition also gets their heads to the ball 9 times out of 10!!! And don't get me started about those waste of time Leonard throws ins, they're nearly always headed away by the opposition. When was the last time we made anything of them?:facepalm::angry:

Exactly,nearly all our corners or free kicks are headed away by the opposition and also when defending them we're as bad as the opposition also gets their heads to the ball 9 times out of 10!!! And don't get me started about those waste of time Leonard throws ins, they're nearly always headed away by the opposition. When was the last time we made anything of them?:facepalm::angry:

And nearly all the corners we defend are headed away by us.

Back