• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There is something in the argument that our set-pieces are poor.

Delivery is average, most of the time.

That said, people who went on Saturday suggested Turner is a real asset in the oppo box.

I would like to think that the team would work more on utilizing this, over at the training ground. I really think upping the quality is worth an extra 10-15 points for us.

Exactly,nearly all our corners or free kicks are headed away by the opposition and also when defending them we're as bad as the opposition also gets their heads to the ball 9 times out of 10!!! And don't get me started about those waste of time Leonard throws ins, they're nearly always headed away by the opposition. When was the last time we made anything of them?:facepalm::angry:

Why, then, do we cross into the box from a corner? Let's play it back and try from the resulting open play.

Didn't fancy any of our players for that penalty.

The longer it takes from the ref blowing the whistle to taking it the more likely we seem to be to miss it.

The last thing we want is for them to have time to think about what they are going to do.

Its about time we showed some invention in our set pieces again. The only time this season i can recall us being clever about them was 1st game of the season when Lenny , on the edge of the area bending down pulling his socks up / faking tying his boots and then everyone else ran towards the near post leaving Lenny free to suddenly dart around the back to the far post and volley in unchallenged. Goal. Simple.

But week in week out we have maybe 5 or 6 guys static , marked closely with nobody running or trying to make space.

Now we've got a real big presence in Turner , along with Ferdinand,White + maybe Ranger , with intelligent movement from the likes of Wordsworth , Cox , Lenny etc we should be causing real chaos from set pieces. There's no excuse for failing to at least look dangerous apart from poor coaching.

Graham Coughlin you have milked the adulation of your 400 games but i cannot believe the 1 thing that made you stand out yourself as a commanding goal scoring centre back for hundreds of games and 2 decades that you have not transferred this skill into your team. Standing around putting cones out and cuffing players around the back of the neck at the end of a match doesnt make a great coach in my book. Come onnnnn ---sort it oooout !!!!!!!

Good post, that 'danbury'. :thumbsup:

It's all about practicing until you make it perfect.

Take snooker professionals, as an example. You'd think they'd be able to play snooker blindfolded by now, but they are still practicing 8-10 hours a day, at times, getting it spot on.

Same should apply with taking free-kicks and movement from them. Football is chaos, but the one time it isn't is from one of your own set-pieces. Delivering and movement from them is something that can be perfected by days, weeks and months or repeating until it becomes natural.

Saturday's penalty fiasco just sums up, for me, the lack of pre-match preparation that appears to go in.

We need to up our game, in this regard.

Josh Wright certainly put himself forward strongly as our next penalty taker in his pre-match interview with MK Dons.

Doesn't seem to know Ranger's first name either, though he did know Theo's.:winking:

Leonard up next then I guess. Than i suppose I will have to throw my hat in the ring.

Anyone else remember during the 1st DW era (roughly 89/90) us going through about 6 player's (after they had all missed) before finally finding someone that could score from the spot (IB)?

We were talking about this on the way home last night 'cerbera' and came to the conclusion that you are about spot on.

We remembered Dean Austin missing one and then a whole host of others had a go and missed, as well.

Can't quite date it exactly, but it was under Webby, as you thought.

Statistically, only 3.2% of corners result in goals. I think it is fair to say that the anticipation created when a corner is awarded, is somewhat unwarranted and the crowds expectations are not in line with reality. As for the penalty misses, we will turn a corner. Our current failure from the spot is a passing phase and no doubt will recur. Its just one of those things. It is certainly not down to the player not trying or lacking in ability.

Back