• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

'President Putin 'probably' approved Litvinenko murder'

yeah - and he was given compassionate leave only after he refused to appeal his sentence.

Very odd indeed !

One of the Russian spies passed a lie detector test carried out by Scotland Yard which they buried so it seems.

Here's my two penneth worth on the Litvinenko murder.

Was the Russian state/FSB/security service behind his murder. Yes of course they were.
Did Putin directly or indirectly sanction the murder? Of course he did. Nothing gets past the guy.

Has this sort of thing happened before and we're not aware of it? Undoubtedly yes, many times.

Will the UK government accomplish anything tangible about it regarding punishment for Russia or really attempting to bring those responsible to justice? No of course they won't. They can't. (it's all in the wording of the report ie 'probably' as opposed to proven)

Will justice ever be forthcoming for Livinenko and his family? Not in a million years.

State sanctioned murder by various governments has been going on for years (dissident Georgi Markov for one) Litvenenko and Markov are the two that have hit the headlines purely because of the nature and the way in which they were both murdered. There are many more we don't know about.

What gets me is that if it was state sponsored, why such an obvious, traceable way? Why not a "robbery gone wrong", "car accident" or a "suicide"?

What gets me is that if it was state sponsored, why such an obvious, traceable way? Why not a "robbery gone wrong", "car accident" or a "suicide"?

Imagine the Russian secret service plotting this murder,

What should we use,

Dagger...no
Gun.......no
Cyanide..no
Car crash..no

Plutonium yes yes yes,it's crazy.

What was your point then?

Seemed to me you thought because the guy was convicted it was pass the drinks around time ?,maybe I misunderstood.

Back to Putin,

We will do absolutely nothing,whether 2 agents killed another agent is in reality not relevant to the UK people,the government cannot do anything for many reasons,the court case was a circus,sadly for the guys family IMO .

Maybe you did. I mentioned Lockerbie as an example that whilst we all think that the named Russians will never be made to face charges the same was thought at the time about the Lockerbie suspects.

I was listening to a report about this on the radio and could not help feel we should get this into perspective here.
Whilst it is awful what has happened to this man and in no way condone it the man was a spy - pure and simple and it is part and parcel of the job he done and was aware that if defected or sold to the "other side" there would always be consequences.
I cannot fathom out why this is getting so much media coverage.
The next item I listened to on the radio was the drowning of 48 people (including 20 young children) trying to flee Syria which only got seconds of airtime in compassion.
Cannot help but think they got their priorities wrong here on the coverage of news

I was listening to a report about this on the radio and could not help feel we should get this into perspective here.
Whilst it is awful what has happened to this man and in no way condone it the man was a spy - pure and simple and it is part and parcel of the job he done and was aware that if defected or sold to the "other side" there would always be consequences.
The next item I listened to on the radio was the drowning of 48 people (including 20 young children) trying to flee Syria which only got seconds of airtime in compassion.
Cannot help but feel the reporting got their priorities wrong here

Cannot help but think they got their priorities wrong here on the coverage of news

You are probably right Tinks, but the reason it got so much airtime was down to the fact that normally a Public Enquiry ends up either saying nothing or not even getting across the line on the delivery. This one delivered by pointing the finger squarely at Putin and none of the experts were expecting that.

You are probably right Tinks, but the reason it got so much airtime was down to the fact that normally a Public Enquiry ends up either saying nothing or not even getting across the line on the delivery. This one delivered by pointing the finger squarely at Putin and none of the experts were expecting that.

True, but any normal person in the street would know that most orders come direct from the top

Because they thought polonium isn't easily traceable which it actually isn't. The authorities were mystified about what had happened to Litvinenko, they obviously thought about poisoning but all the normal testing didn't come up with anything.

True, but any normal person in the street would know that most orders come direct from the top

Not always Tinks, there is also something called plausible deniability (sp) The spy world has it's own rules and as you pointed out, he was a defector. I think that this has only got so much airtime due to the plutainium angle.

The main lesson learnt from all this is never let a Russian sugar your tea.

I am not sure why this is still a story. The Russians may have killed a man by rather crudely poisoning him, but we seem quite happy to kill people we don't like with drones.

Because you can hide from drones:smiles:

A Guide To Spotting And Hiding From Drones

Like birdwatching, but for military robots.
Drone%20Biggest.jpg

State sponsored assassination

I fail to see what all the fuss is about . Unpalatable as it may be state sponsored murders have been legion over the centuries by countries with an axe to grind and the wherewithal to do so. The Litvinenko was clumsy and flawed in that it could be traced back to Putin but don't run away with the idea that Britain is squeaky clean in assassination stakes ,we really do have our James Bonds out there doing the Establishments dirty work.
Those in power,with a respect for human life are rare, most are driven by greed,envy and a desire for respect and domination, much like your sink estate gangs really.
It's just another example of how the human race has never become "civilised" those who hold the reins of power have been ruthlessly murdering who ever they please forever.
Don't expect any Chang soon.

I am not sure why this is still a story. The Russians may have killed a man by rather crudely poisoning him, but we seem quite happy to kill people we don't like with drones.

We are allowed to because we are British. Don't forget half the world owes its freedom to us British, something Johnny foreigner is all to quick to forget.:thumbsup:

Can I just ask, why the heck are we poking the bear with this latest Russian Spy business?

The guy is basically a traitor to his country and if a British Spy double crossed us, I'd be expecting the SAS to be paying him/her a visit too. We are walking into a very hazardous and precarious situation by stirring up this hornets nest.

I say wheel him up to the Kremlin in his hospital bed, ring the doorbell and run away. We can then move on with our lives.

Back