• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pub Name Changes

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I took a phone call this morning from a bloke in the Black Country which then set me off boring my workmates with long gone stories and in particular one of a pub in Dudley.

It had the very descriptive name of the “Tipton Slasher” named after a prize fighter, the name of this pub surely a rallying call for the proletariat. Shock horror I looked it up and it is now called the “Fountain Inn” with only a picture of the slasher on the pub sign. What is going on?

Do you know of any pub names that have been changed for good or bad?

A couple of local ones spring to mind:

The "Red Cow" on Canvey was, renamed the “King Kanute”after 1953-floods as it stands on about the highest point on the island and was used as the centre for rescues.

The “Half-Crown” in Benfleet was formerly called the Crown, until a tanker ploughed into it one night.

DoDtS

What used to be the Golden Goblet in Southend became the Rusty Bucket, **** knows why, and IIRC it had another name before it finally gave up to become a McDonalds.

The Middleton opposite Central Station has been under a number of guises, and now it's an O'Neills.

What used to be the Golden Goblet in Southend became the Rusty Bucket, **** knows why, and IIRC it had another name before it finally gave up to become a McDonalds.

The Middleton opposite Central Station has been under a number of guises, and now it's an O'Neills.

IIRC the Goblet first became the Invisible man (I think when Mel batty took it over) it then became the Rusty Bucket which was the nickname for it originally

The Blue Boar changed its name at one time , as did the Woodgrange but I can't remember what too

The Sportsman in Shoebury changed to the Renown before it closed

The Atrisocrat has changed names many times too

The New Ship in Rochford is now called The Conservative Club.

IIRC The Old Ship became The Conservative Club but has shut in the last few weeks.

Not sure what The New Ship is now though.

The Horse and Groom became Blanchfields for a couple of years before returned to its rightfull name.

IIRC The Old Ship became The Conservative Club but has shut in the last few weeks.

Not sure what The New Ship is now though.

The Horse and Groom became Blanchfields for a couple of years before returned to its rightfull name.

When I lived in Rochford the Horse and Groom was known as the Doom and Gloom.

The Benfleet Tavern used to be The Appleton Arms, still called that by plenty of people.

Churchills Southend was once The Tavern in the Town I believe and before that it was The Londoner...

The Hamlet was once called Banks.

The Top Alex, then the Alexandra, then the Fish n Firkin, then the Alex

It was never officially the Top Alex it was The Alexandra Hotel. It was called the "Top Alex" to distinguish it from the "Bottom Alex" which was in the same road, on the corner of the High Street and (bizarrely) also called the Alexandra Hotel. It is now a building society, I believe.

Back