• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apart from asking Cricko and I to lend him £70,000,000 and the banks going tits-up, Martin wanted no-one as private investors and this was told to a Zone member in an hour-long chat with a former employee who knew intimate secrets of the club. The word "greed" springs to mind as FF is his family's legacy.

My understanding was that he was looking for banks to lend money. Lending money is of course different to bringing in other shareholders that would dilute shares.

my mistake, i didn't phrase it quite right, what i was getting at, is that RM does not have the money to do FF on his own and as such was seeking investments (whether the return is interest , as a loan, or profit related ) and I can't see that as having changed. Perhaps Funding would be a better term

I doubt he would have ever sought private investment, corporate would be a possibility (as Delancey were in the outset).

But, to a degree this is largely semantics, as the main point was that SUFC could never be considered for investment......

You'd have thought many people might think as you suggest. So why did he not negotiate with the consortium?

I don't know... perhaps the terms weren't to Martin's liking? perhaps what they were offering wasn't in RM's best interests? As far as I'm aware, the consortium's involvement was prior to the announcement of Sainsbury's, so perhaps they offered RM a better deal?

I do, provided it was as a last resort or if the project's survival hinged upon fresh investment. I think it's fairly evident that RM's future rests on this one development. The finances are so intertwined that without Ron there's no project and without the project there's no Ron. It's in Ron's best interests to keep the project viable and if exterior finance was ultimately required, bearing in mind his livelihood rests on it, then I'd have thought he wouldn't be reluctant to negotiate.

Sainsburys were brought in at the end of last season to tide us over. IMO though, the discussion is moot until there's at least some possibility of a return on investment barring the emergence of a Saudi prince with a fondness for jellied eels.

Fair, but i'm more (for lack of a better word) ****ed off with the way the football side of things are being dealt with. You're saying Ron would look for investors if needed to get FF moving, and I totally agree with you. I'm saying, I'd like to see Martin bring in some help, to boost the football team. As I said, as long as he faces no comeback form the fans, he's free to let the club bob along, whilst he piles all of his time and energy into getting FF started. We, as fans, should be demanding investment in the football club. Whether there are investors willing to or not is a seperate point. What we (should) want is for Martin to actively seek help.

The word "greed" springs to mind as FF is his family's legacy.

This is why I believe he wouldn't even consider looking for outside investment. IMHO only fan power could.

If supporters who love the Club look at that situation and decide that they don't want to risk £350 on it then why would businessmen who don't love the Club write us cheques for much, much more?

The difference is, people are paying £350 to be entertained* 23 times per year, by the team they support.

Investors are looking for returns on their money, and that would come from FF.

*I use that term loosely

hang on didn't Tara "invest" some money?

I think that you'll find (or actually not as I doubt it'll ever be made public) that Ron owed Tara and as he doesn't have the funds to clear the "debt" Tara reluctantly agreed to accept a stake in RonWorld with the condition that he was given a place within the club/structure that meant he could oversee what's happening to try and protect his interests and ultimately have a hope of recouping what was owed.

As I understand Tara is in deeper with this that he would like but had little option.

I repeat: negotiate if you don't like the terms on offer but want to bring in other investors. Of course if negotiations break down because agreement can't be reached, that's another matter.

How did the Unionists and Republicans manage to achieve peace in Northern Ireland? How do commercial deals get done every day in business? They negotiate and find common ground and see if there's a way forward to reach agreement.

I repeat: negotiate if you don't like the terms on offer but want to bring in other investors. Of course if negotiations break down because agreement can't be reached, that's another matter.

How did the Unionists and Republicans manage to achieve peace in Northern Ireland? How do commercial deals get done every day in business? They negotiate and find common ground and see if there's a way forward to reach agreement.

But if the primary objectives of both parties are too far apart no matter of negotiation will reach a conclusion. The Ulster peace process you mention eventually took major compromises on both sides after years of no backing down from either party.

Do you think the Consortium would have been interested in negotiating if those negotiations were ultimately going to lead to RM still being involved in some capacity? The impression I got was that they wanted him out of the picture.

Do you think the Consortium would have been interested in negotiating if those negotiations were ultimately going to lead to RM still being involved in some capacity? The impression I got was that they wanted him out of the picture.

Indeed, they were only interested in taking over, not helping out.

There was no possibility of meeting half way.

To be fair I wouldnt invest in the club with Ron Martin in charge either, not someone Id trust my millions with (if I had any)

Indeed, they were only interested in taking over, not helping out.

There was no possibility of meeting half way.

To be fair I wouldnt invest in the club with Ron Martin in charge either, not someone Id trust my millions with (if I had any)

How do you know that?

this just goes to show again martin doesnt give a ff about southend utd, the min he can get away is what he will do, 3 sided stadium(make that 2 sided!!) he would rather see us go bust than walk away from his profit, he saw southend as an opportunity to get into to make money for himself, nothing more nothing less. bear in mind he cannot lose even if southend go belly up, pretty certain amongst his various contracts, would be money coming in from sainsbury wehn they take possession of roots hall irrespective if the club is still going. or not. lets not kid ourselves, he has funded southend with income the club has produced from succesfful seasons, and taken out management fees for that. I fear things are going to get a lot worse, than they are now, try surving in league 2 next season with youth players, and on contract league 1(sorry they are league 2 now ) dross, also am told still another winding up order is not far away again

I think that you'll find (or actually not as I doubt it'll ever be made public) that Ron owed Tara and as he doesn't have the funds to clear the "debt" Tara reluctantly agreed to accept a stake in RonWorld with the condition that he was given a place within the club/structure that meant he could oversee what's happening to try and protect his interests and ultimately have a hope of recouping what was owed.

As I understand Tara is in deeper with this that he would like but had little option.

Interesting!

If anyone is going to the AGM a pertinent question to be asked would be HOW DOES THE FOOTBALL CLUB BENEFIT FROM FOSSETS FARM DEVELOPMENT. Ron has always avoided answering this question not once has he mentioned how the revenue would flow into the football clubs coffers, forget why no onions in burgers or why Blair plays every week,ask the questions that count. Do we get revenue from rent from the retail park? just how do the football club benefit from this development apart from having a new ground etc where is the cash into the club coming from. Remember Rons parent company Martin Dawn is almost bankrupt as well and he has stripped our assets just how as a club is this development helping us as yet not one sod of earth has been turned over we are almost in administration so ask the real questions please put the man on the spot. If he had embraced the local business community and got them on board from day one perhaps he might have had help instead of alienating them by late payments or no payments, fair play to insure and go for still supporting us.

If anyone is going to the AGM a pertinent question to be asked would be HOW DOES THE FOOTBALL CLUB BENEFIT FROM FOSSETS FARM DEVELOPMENT. Ron has always avoided answering this question not once has he mentioned how the revenue would flow into the football clubs coffers, forget why no onions in burgers or why Blair plays every week,ask the questions that count. Do we get revenue from rent from the retail park? just how do the football club benefit from this development apart from having a new ground etc where is the cash into the club coming from. Remember Rons parent company Martin Dawn is almost bankrupt as well and he has stripped our assets just how as a club is this development helping us as yet not one sod of earth has been turned over we are almost in administration so ask the real questions please put the man on the spot. If he had embraced the local business community and got them on board from day one perhaps he might have had help instead of alienating them by late payments or no payments, fair play to insure and go for still supporting us.

That is 100% NO..we have already been told the retail development is nothing to do with Southend United and is RM and his families legacy.

There are so many un-answered questions, if they are all asked the AGM will last a fortnight. Let's hope the really relevant ones are asked and answered properly.

this just goes to show again martin doesnt give a ff about southend utd, the min he can get away is what he will do, 3 sided stadium(make that 2 sided!!) he would rather see us go bust than walk away from his profit, he saw southend as an opportunity to get into to make money for himself, nothing more nothing less. bear in mind he cannot lose even if southend go belly up, pretty certain amongst his various contracts, would be money coming in from sainsbury wehn they take possession of roots hall irrespective if the club is still going. or not. lets not kid ourselves, he has funded southend with income the club has produced from succesfful seasons, and taken out management fees for that. I fear things are going to get a lot worse, than they are now, try surving in league 2 next season with youth players, and on contract league 1(sorry they are league 2 now ) dross, also am told still another winding up order is not far away again

I've read a lot of what you have written on here recently & most has been, IMO, bollocks.

The above post though is spot on though, especially when you then add the bit Cricko mentions about it being just TefRon that will benefit from from the retail units. I suppose the only thing we can do is boycott said units when they are built & get one over on TefRon.

I've read a lot of what you have written on here recently & most has been, IMO, bollocks.

The above post though is spot on though, especially when you then add the bit Cricko mentions about it being just TefRon that will benefit from from the retail units. I suppose the only thing we can do is boycott said units when they are built & get one over on TefRon.

I'm not sure how a boycott of say 5-10000 SUFC supporters would impact on retailers in a town with a population in the region of 150,000+ and not forgetting surrounding towns etc.

Back