• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ranger out for the rest of the season

Can anyone think of a player that’s been out of the pro game for 3 or more years that has returned without a proper pre season and gone on to play 10 or more games in relative short space of time?

Thats why Ranger was a poor decision & another reason no other club wanted him.

I have been against the return for a few reasons but his lack of fitness ( he was blowing after 5-10 mins) and injury risk was high.

Don't tell me he got a shed full of goals for Weymouth by playing out wide on the flanks.

He didn't get the goals leading the line. He got the goals drifting into the space between the right-back- the centre-half and the centre-midfielder. This is the role he's predominantly played here.

You're seeing his goal record and you're imagining him to be something he isn't.

Remember his goals weren't scored at conference level. They weren't scored at conference south level. They were scored at the level below that.

Playing him "up front" won't transform him. It's not Bond, Waddock, Campbell and Molesley all misusing him. This is who he is. He's someone who isn't strong enough to lead the line, he's someone who isn't quick enough to get behind professional defences, he's someone who needs to be in space to be vaguely effective and you don't find that space in professional football "up front" - you may find it between midfield and the forwards, between the centre-half and the full-back.

Goodship was worth a punt imo.

But it hasnt worked and sticking with something that doesnt work only takes you in one direction.

Also cant help but feel its a bit of karma for ranger tbh.

Whats the story with loans can we get a striker in?

Goodship was worth a punt imo.

But it hasnt worked and sticking with something that doesnt work only takes you in one direction.

Also cant help but feel its a bit of karma for ranger tbh.

Whats the story with loans can we get a striker in?

No. The transfer window isn’t open.

Our only option is unattached players and given the time to get them match fit I’m not sure it’s worth it. I’m fully aware we desperately need more goal threat but that’s just how it is.

He didn't get the goals leading the line. He got the goals drifting into the space between the right-back- the centre-half and the centre-midfielder. This is the role he's predominantly played here.

You're seeing his goal record and you're imagining him to be something he isn't.

Remember his goals weren't scored at conference level. They weren't scored at conference south level. They were scored at the level below that.

Playing him "up front" won't transform him. It's not Bond, Waddock, Campbell and Molesley all misusing him. This is who he is. He's someone who isn't strong enough to lead the line, he's someone who isn't quick enough to get behind professional defences, he's someone who needs to be in space to be vaguely effective and you don't find that space in professional football "up front" - you may find it between midfield and the forwards, between the centre-half and the full-back.

That’s as good a analysis of Brandon as we’re gonna read on here.

For what it’s worth, IMO, Brandon is a good footballer and he has made the step up from Southern Premier (Equivalent Harlow / Bowers / Brightlingsea) into league football. He made it by definition, in that he has proved capable of scoring and creating goals, has a good work ethic and understands various roles tactically and can do the various jobs asked of him to the level that he, his team mates and his team are at.

He’s performed no worse than 30/40 other pro footballers that have been through the club in the last 18 months that he’s been here.....many of who are current flavour of the months.

Most of these players, last season, were far worse than Brandon (and one or two others I can think of) but it was lost in a sea of anger and frustration based on the age old equation of fans expectation / managers capability / reality. All of which never marry up.

YB has hit the nail on the head in terms of where his abilities lie and now with a more capable side and a more confident camp alongside lower expectations, if you just appreciate what he does do instead of driving all your attentions towards what he doesn’t you’ll see a talented footballer.

Remember he didn’t appear from nowhere out of non league. He had a good pro background, arguably better than many of the player that came through our own youth system and similar to current golden chops Kyle Taylor. But for a little bit of luck he wouldn’t have been in non league anyway but it’s to his credit that he managed to work his way back into the football league the way he has.....many disappear into non league never to be seen again. That in itself is a measure of his personality and his ability.

Knock Kevin Bond all you like but Brandon was one of our better players under him and that was largely due to the style he wanted to use and despite everyone blaming Bond and ridiculing his managerial nous for where he played him it was actually a position, as YB points out, that Brandon was capable of stepping up to the level required.

Without going down the Sol route again, he was another player who Sol just didn’t want to use and a player who’s confidence was ultimately destroyed under the worst man manager possible.

Confidence destroyed to that level takes a long long time to repair, trust me.

No. The transfer window isn’t open.

Our only option is unattached players and given the time to get them match fit I’m not sure it’s worth it. I’m fully aware we desperately need more goal threat but that’s just how it is.
Bugger.

Can anyone think of a player that’s been out of the pro game for 3 or more years that has returned without a proper pre season and gone on to play 10 or more games in relative short space of time?

Thats why Ranger was a poor decision & another reason no other club wanted him.

I have been against the return for a few reasons but his lack of fitness ( he was blowing after 5-10 mins) and injury risk was high.

Ranger was a good decision, in the circumstances. Transfer window had closed (or was about to), and our preferred striker targets had not come to fruition. It was a gamble, a gamble that, imo, we had to take. Unfortunately it hasn't worked - but we're no worse off for that.

Ranger was a good decision, in the circumstances. Transfer window had closed (or was about to), and our preferred striker targets had not come to fruition. It was a gamble, a gamble that, imo, we had to take. Unfortunately it hasn't worked - but we're no worse off for that.
Being picky wee,Ranger can’t play

Agree with this and I have definitely suffered from seeing his goal record and imagining him to be something he isn't.

I'd still defend him though as he has played too many games too far out wide and he has played nearly all of his games in god awful sides. He hasn't had much of an opportunity in this current team which is improving and competing. Yeah yeah probably because he's not in it!

Agree with this and I have definitely suffered from seeing his goal record and imagining him to be something he isn't.

I'd still defend him though as he has played too many games too far out wide and he has played nearly all of his games in god awful sides. He hasn't had much of an opportunity in this current team which is improving and competing. Yeah yeah probably because he's not in it!

Playing in god awful sides yes but playing too far out wide no.

You have to contribute defensively otherwise you're a luxury player. You can contribute defensively by being an outlet for the defence - like Acquah holding the ball up - or you can contribute defensively by tracking back, like Brandon has done tracking the full-backs.

Brandon has his best chance of shining under MM, a manager who knows him well and what his strengths are. I can’t really judge any player brought into the total nightmare environment last season was, from Bond through to Campbell it wasn’t exactly a happy camp or great for confidence. Add into the mix the awful results and as said, fan expectation. Now MM has got a good team spirit going and we’re not getting battered every week. Let’s see. He’s another one who’s always written off before he’s kicked a ball on here/twitter. He’s shown glimpses, not enough but see above. Give him a run in a confident team and get the ball to him in dangerous areas and maybe he’ll shine. Much like Acquah some of the criticisms go a little OTT in my opinion.

Brandon Goodship also failed to make the grade at Yeovil. Judged on his record at a higher level he doesn't seem to be good enough. If he suddenly starts scoring for the club then of course we would all be delighted. Let's see what happens.

Its been debated many times about Goodship but it what he does or doesnt do on the pitch.I thought that when we got MM in that he would get him to perform but regretably it hasnt reasons no one knows other than the player himself and MM.I noted recently that MM said that Goodship was getting better again what does that really mean.Clearly MM thinks the current squad without Simpson and Ranger can get us up the table. Time will tell all i know is that we need to win games and get more points than Barrow and Grimsby

Back