• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two words:
Harald Schumacher.

It happens, Hooly. Whether you choose to remember it or not is a different matter.
Matt
As a couple of the others have said, I don't recall Schumacher being close enough to the ball to handle it. The referee in that game could only have carded him for GBH, assault or attempted murder & from my refreeing days I can't recall if the latter of those 3 is a booking or a sending off! :)

It's hardly surprising that half the crowd are unsure of these issues when qualified referees get it wrong. I repeat for the final time (sighs of relief all round) :

Handball must be deliberate and the sanction for it is a direct free-kick (or a penalty). There is no mandatory card for handball.

If in, the opinion of the referee, the handball constituted unsporting behaviour then a yellow card will be shown. If, in the opinion of the referee, an obvious goalscoring opportunity is denied by the handball, a red card will be shown. This applies equally to a goalkeeper or outfield player.

Handball therefore can be unsporting but is not necessarily so.
QUOTE]

You've missed my point somewhat I think and this has the potential to become a debate on pendancy.

So I'll clarify and hopefully, we'll both agree.

If a card is produced for deliberate handball, it is yellow not red.

I think that covers it. Key words "if" and I didn't use the word "mandatory".

So, to the original point, if in the view of the referee the offence was unsporting behaviour by deliberate handball, then he was right to show a yellow card and not a red one.

Phew!

Back