• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Released and retained players

Spare a thought for Smith, wasn't that long ago he was a regular first teamer and playing for England at U18/19

Just shows how an injury can wreck a promising career at a young age so maybe people shouldn't be so harsh on Coker for wanting away before he got injured. It's a very short lifespan as a player so to criticise him for wanting to test himself at a higher level is stupid. He's had championship clubs sniffing around over the last 3-4 years so I find some of the comments on here extremely harsh.
Personally think Ted might end up at Millwall with Neil Harris & Adam Barrett both being big advocates of his in the past

Is Coker actually still injured; just wonder how he's going to pass any medical at the moment?

I mentioned him quite a few times on the other thread. Personally I would have kept him, and maybe loaned him out. Still think he's a good keeper and I hope the decision to give Oxley a 3 year deal last year hasn't played a part in having to shift him out.

After so long out of the game Ted may have to drop well down the pyramid to get back up. He conceded a lot of goals in the U23s and I think Bishop has overtaken him. And don't forget that Harry Seaden is 18 now and an England youth player - so he will be pushing to breakthrough. There was no way Ted or Bexon could have been kept on - there's no guarantee that someone would take them on loan.

Have I got this right?
Every player out of contract has been released except JW who has an unknown offer?
And we are still to make club position clear on those in contract who might be made available?

Have I got this right?
Every player out of contract has been released except JW who has an unknown offer?
And we are still to make club position clear on those in contract who might be made available?

Some of them who could have been out of contract (including Barratt, Klass and Gard) have had their options for a contract extension taken up by the club

I think anyone would be pretty stupid to turn down a contract with a huge pay increase. That Hudds contract has potentially set him up for 10 years after football. If another company increased my wages by X5 I'd be straight out the door.

I think aside from the whole loyalty to the club that gave him a chance thing, it was a risky & ill-advised move which a lot of us said at the time. He’d barely established himself at a L1 club (us) before taking the first decent offer to come along. He could & with hindsight probably should have stayed another year, had a team built around him, enhanced his reputation and been far more ready for a move up the following year & maybe been able to handle a higher division better and have a prolonged career at that level, with all the financial rewards that come with it. Instead he’s been mainly on loan back in L1 & will probably now see out his career in the lower leagues.

I think aside from the whole loyalty to the club that gave him a chance thing, it was a risky & ill-advised move which a lot of us said at the time. He’d barely established himself at a L1 club (us) before taking the first decent offer to come along. He could & with hindsight probably should have stayed another year, had a team built around him, enhanced his reputation and been far more ready for a move up the following year & maybe been able to handle a higher division better and have a prolonged career at that level, with all the financial rewards that come with it. Instead he’s been mainly on loan back in L1 & will probably now see out his career in the lower leagues.

All assumptions. As equal chance he would of had a bad season for us and ended up in league 2 or lower by now and have earned far far less money.

As I said if someone offered you 5X your salary on a 3 year deal with the risk of you needing to find a new job at the end would you not take it?

Is Coker actually still injured; just wonder how he's going to pass any medical at the moment?
Don’t really care, it’s all down to the club that’s gonna take a big risk on paying his wages, he won’t get a very big wage packet until he proves himself.

I was just curious, that's all
Bit of a gamble for any club eh, I do wonder if a club will only offer a good wage after pre season to see if he can get through it first eh, could of been with three different clubs by August waiting for that offer eh.

Bit of a gamble for any club eh, I do wonder if a club will only offer a good wage after pre season to see if he can get through it first eh, could of been with three different clubs by August waiting for that offer eh.

That's why I wondered when he'll be fit; seems strange that Lincoln had signed him on a pre-contract if he won't pass a medical!!

Though we have signed our fair share of crocks in the past :Smile:

Back