• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Released and retained players

To be fair, he's a good player and he's right in that he's still fit and able to play the majority of a season. So hopefully he'll find a L2 team who need an experienced CB. It makes sense for us to look for an upgrade and get his wages off the books

Would be a massive coup for someone like Orient

To be fair, he's a good player and he's right in that he's still fit and able to play the majority of a season. So hopefully he'll find a L2 team who need an experienced CB. It makes sense for us to look for an upgrade and get his wages off the books

I’m quite surprised by this, he was talked out of retirement to stay on for another season. Thought he would jack it in after this season. Wish him the best of luck.

I agree, Turner can do a decent job in League 2 still, and it is possible that if we had gone down, maybe he would have been staying. Without his experience this year helping to guide our youngsters, we would have been in even bigger trouble! If he feels he can carry on for another season, then why not?

All the best of luck Michael, and thank you!!

Do managers negotiate contracts any more?
Yes, I think they do, certainly to some extent in our case. It was certainly Powell's discussions about contract and where he saw him playing in the side (left wing) that prompted Woody to go last season - he'd been ready to sign a new contract.

Yes, I think they do, certainly to some extent in our case. It was certainly Powell's discussions about contract and where he saw him playing in the side (left wing) that prompted Woody to go last season - he'd been ready to sign a new contract.

I highly doubt that they will negotiate the financial side of the contracts though.

Do managers negotiate contracts any more?

I wouldn't have thought managers talk figures at any level. I can't find the source but I did read an article about how it works for top clubs and it's mostly down to a club accountant of sorts and a board member to oversee negotiations.

The manager says how important 'X' is, board member assigns a monetary value which I'm sure is checked by club accountants and then the accountant has to broker the best deal for everyone.

I imagine these negotiations are multifaceted for top clubs if you have to factor in things like in image rights, sponsorships deals, shirt sales etc. At our level it's probably just a nominated board member.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond has thanked a trio of released players for their efforts with the Shrimpers.

More...

Interesting to read Coker turned us down rather than us letting him go. Grass isn’t always greener!

Interesting to read Coker turned us down rather than us letting him go. Grass isn’t always greener!

It can only be because he thinks he will get more money elsewhere plus a decent signing on fee. It makes little sense otherwise as he is a local lad who is settled in Billericay with his soon to be wife. This will be his last decent contract so you can't blame the lad

It can only be because he thinks he will get more money elsewhere plus a decent signing on fee. It makes little sense otherwise as he is a local lad who is settled in Billericay with his soon to be wife. This will be his last decent contract so you can't blame the lad

His agent had too much to say, saying he was the best left back in League One. He never mentioned how injury prone he is tho. No one will be surprised if he breaks down again. I hope not. I think they both wanted more money.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond felt Ted Smith needed to move on to further his career.

More...

Agree with Bonds comments about his future and he is right Ted is a real decent lad.

As per usual the echo get it wrong. He had two separate shoulder injuries, the second one in his come back game.

Agree with Bonds comments about his future and he is right Ted is a real decent lad.

As per usual the echo get it wrong. He had two separate shoulder injuries, the second one in his come back game.

Awful choice to get rid of him. For those that can remember only a few seasons back 16/17 Ted Smith was the reason we nearly reached the playoffs. His unfortunate injury meant getting a loan keeper in who just wasn’t match fit.

If fully fit I can’t see why he wouldn’t have been our number one.

Hope he goes on to thrive and do better than us because ultimately he’s good enough!

I think the real issue is that the wage budget can't carry 3 first choice goalkeepers - Oxley and Bishop are under contract and Ted's has run out. Had it been Oxley's that had run out, then I think Ted and Bishop would have been fighting it out for the number one jersey. We've also got young and highly rated Harry Seaden coming through too (which is presumably why Bexon was released too)

Unfortunate for Ted, but I think it's the right decision given the finances and squad situation - we have an embarrassment of riches in the goalkeeping department and you can only play one at a time. IMHO Bond made the right call here.

Richie Wellens is on the hunt to attract a proven goalscorer to his Swindon Town squad that can ideally complement Southend United striker Theo Robinson, who he remains in regular dialogue with regarding a permanent move.

Robinson is Wellens’ only public transfer target amid the Town boss’ attempt to tie down out-of-contract players Kyle Knoyle and Dion Conroy to fresh deals – with the former reportedly targeted by Cambridge United.

Reports have also suggested Wellens has shown interest in snapping up Newcastle youngster Matty Longstaff on a loan deal, and Rotherham United forward Jerry Yates on a permanent move.

We understand the Town boss has declared interest in only one of the above two rumoured players.

“I’m still in dialogue with Theo (Robinson), and I’ve had a conversation with Kevin Bond (Southend United manager),” said Wellens.

“I’ve left it with Kevin, Theo is his player and I respect whatever he decides to do. But I have made it clear that we would like to sign Theo.

“When Kevin comes back to me, we will have a conversation and see if we can get a deal done.”

Wellens’ determination to add Robinson as a permanent member to his squad follows the Birmingham-born striker’s efforts in front of goal since joining Town on loan in January.

Seven goals in 15 games proved enough to win the 39-year-old over.

Richie Wellens is on the hunt to attract a proven goalscorer to his Swindon Town squad that can ideally complement Southend United striker Theo Robinson, who he remains in regular dialogue with regarding a permanent move.

Robinson is Wellens’ only public transfer target amid the Town boss’ attempt to tie down out-of-contract players Kyle Knoyle and Dion Conroy to fresh deals – with the former reportedly targeted by Cambridge United.

Reports have also suggested Wellens has shown interest in snapping up Newcastle youngster Matty Longstaff on a loan deal, and Rotherham United forward Jerry Yates on a permanent move.

We understand the Town boss has declared interest in only one of the above two rumoured players.

“I’m still in dialogue with Theo (Robinson), and I’ve had a conversation with Kevin Bond (Southend United manager),” said Wellens.

“I’ve left it with Kevin, Theo is his player and I respect whatever he decides to do. But I have made it clear that we would like to sign Theo.

“When Kevin comes back to me, we will have a conversation and see if we can get a deal done.”

Wellens’ determination to add Robinson as a permanent member to his squad follows the Birmingham-born striker’s efforts in front of goal since joining Town on loan in January.

Seven goals in 15 games proved enough to win the 39-year-old over.

Sounds like just the sort of lower league player we should be looking to sign.

Seven in fifteen is pretty good!

Works out at over 20 goals a season, so not surprising Swindon want to keep him. Theo is a good striker in League Two, but not quite up to the mark for a side with ambitions to be at the top end of League One making a serious bid to get into the Championship, IMO.

Back