• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Retained List Announced.

With PB on this one. Any players that have been part of last seasons squad, let alone the last two seasons, should consider themselves fortunate to have a new offer on the table. Something White and Hobson seem to understand.

If any players actually want an increase with us now in the fifth tier, then they should be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
Are they demanding they actually receive them occasionally..

These players asking for an League 1 wages, forget it, let them join others team.

We have an replacement for Elvis/Demi in Rob Howard, even King Lynn struggled, he always get 7/8 out of 10 almost every games in NL papers, plus I saw him on BT sports live and he look better than Elvis, I would say we have an replacement for RB area!

Out of these players, I would keep Ricky Holmes.

It is easy...if Phil is right about the player's value they will be not offered more elsewhere. The market will decide: it is hardly unrealistic for players to search for the best offer they can find. This has always been the case. Where the club might be at disadvantage this year is if a League Club makes similar offer to a player he might choose to turn us down to avoid dropping down into 'non league' football.
Could it be that some players want to be compensated extra for playing in the National League with us?
Another possibility is while some of these players may be prepared to sign for us they do not wish to rush into things as we might be their 'least preferred option', ie they will sign for us but will only do so if they do not receive a similar offer from a League club. Before committing to us they will want to test the market and need time to do this.
The perceived best interests of the players might be in conflict with the Club's. Phil obviously wants all this sorted as quickly as possible to help him with his forward planning whereas some or all of the players may have made up their minds they will only return to Southend if they are unable to secure better offers elsewhere.
That is what I would be doing if I was a player.
What PB is quoted as saying is entirely sensible, and, most on here would agree we should not be increasing the offers we have made.
Having said that there seems little incentive for any player to commit early to us.

I think player would like to get what they were on before - who wouldn’t. The club will be looking probably for at least the 25% less on relegation. After all those under contract probably had to swallow similar.
Then what happens will depend on the player, how many alternatives they may have and how much we want to keep them. If we really want to keep someone I would be offering a 2 year contract with a reduction this year but in year 2 back up again if we get promoted. But every player will be different.
Biggest problem will be those signed on L1 wages if they didn’t have a relegation clause.
But look at Oxley - allegedly our biggest earner or near to talking to Harrogate! It won’t in many cases be L1 clubs we are competing against but bang average L2 clubs many of whom are looking to significantly reduce their wage bill.
PB quite rightly just before this statement made the point negotiations are progressing very well with a number of players and we had to be choosy about he we signed- the message in the current climate no-one’s irreplaceable, we are doing our business early and leave it too long then we will have already signed your replacement.
That said you would expect for a reasonable time some back and forth on negotiation in some cases.

It is easy...if Phil is right about the player's value they will be not offered more elsewhere. The market will decide: it is hardly unrealistic for players to search for the best offer they can find. This has always been the case. Where the club might be at disadvantage this year is if a League Club makes similar offer to a player he might choose to turn us down to avoid dropping down into 'non league' football.
Could it be that some players want to be compensated extra for playing in the National League with us?
Another possibility is while some of these players may be prepared to sign for us they do not wish to rush into things as we might be their 'least preferred option', ie they will sign for us but will only do so if they do not receive a similar offer from a League club. Before committing to us they will want to test the market and need time to do this.
The perceived best interests of the players might be in conflict with the Club's. Phil obviously wants all this sorted as quickly as possible to help him with his forward planning whereas some or all of the players may have made up their minds they will only return to Southend if they are unable to secure better offers elsewhere.
That is what I would be doing if I was a player.
What PB is quoted as saying is entirely sensible, and, most on here would agree we should not be increasing the offers we have made.
Having said that there seems little incentive for any player to commit early to us.
If they want an incentive they might give the likes of Mantom and Atkinson a ring...

Sounds more like Phil refusing to capitulate to excessive wage demands. How you interpret that as bad news is beyond me.
Use your brain. I’m not saying what Phil is doing is wrong. If the players are demanded a wage higher then expected and him is saying no then there could be a problem .

With the special circumstances of clubs shot finances through the pandemic and imposed squad sizes there could be several hundred players scrambling for a club at the end of this summer and available for little more than their petrol money. I know we all like to see the transfer business done early but the irony is this window leaving it late might work. Bit of both hopefully.

Use your brain. I’m not saying what Phil is doing is wrong. If the players are demanded a wage higher then expected and him is saying no then there could be a problem .
There is no problem. Contract negotiations are exactly that, negotiations. The players, or their agents, will push for as much as they can, and Phil Brown has a budget to live within. If they meet in the middle, great, if not, off they go.

There is no problem. Contract negotiations are exactly that, negotiations. The players, or their agents, will push for as much as they can, and Phil Brown has a budget to live within. If they meet in the middle, great, if not, off they go.
There lies the riff, the players could be asking more than what they are worth, players who we might want to keep and they end up going. Not saying it’s a bad thing but we could be a few quality players down that won’t get replaced. The wage budget needs to be handled with care.

Give them lower wages with a high win/goal/clean sheet bonus, that’ll separate the real from the fake.
No footballer (aside from those desperate like Halford last year) would take those terms, it would mean if you got a season ending injury your finances would be ****ed. Even if you didn't get injured you could be playing fantastically and not be eligible for those bonuses if your teammates are letting you down. Footballers still have to pay the bills and it's a lot easier to do that if you know for sure how much is coming in each month instead of it being reliant on how well the team is playing.

Hard to see how any of these players have a leg to stand on in terms of negotiating a higher contract. Erm chaps, some of you have a few relegations already under your belt, you were the 2nd worst team in the EFL, and possibly our history.....

No footballer (aside from those desperate like Halford last year) would take those terms, it would mean if you got a season ending injury your finances would be ****ed. Even if you didn't get injured you could be playing fantastically and not be eligible for those bonuses if your teammates are letting you down. Footballers still have to pay the bills and it's a lot easier to do that if you know for sure how much is coming in each month instead of it being reliant on how well the team is playing.
I’m sure they could have a clause for injuries etc my point is we want players who have a reason to get games won, for too long we’ve had Charletons who are only here to pick up their money so changes are needed.

Back