• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Holmes done deal

Southend United are delighted to have strengthened the squad with the signing of Ricky Holmes.

The winger brings not only an abundance of experience, but also lots of attacking quality having scored and assisted over 100 goals during his time in the Football League.

The boyhood Southend fan started his career in the Blues Academy but was released and joined Chelmsford City where he quickly made a name for himself in non-league.

He has gone on to play in League Two, League One and the Championship, accumulating over a combined 300 EFL games at Barnet, Portsmouth, Northampton Town, Charlton Athletic, Sheffield United and Oxford United.

In November Holmes signed an appearance related contract back at Northampton but departed his former club in January after 11 appearances and one goal.

Holmes has been training at Blues for the past two weeks, and he told southendunited.co.uk of his delight to put pen to paper on a deal until the end of the season.

"It’s great to sign,” Holmes said. “It’s been a good week of training with a game in there as well to show that I’m fully fit and I can’t wait to get going on Saturday.

"The games are coming thick and fast so hopefully I can bring a lot to the team.

"It’s been known over the years that I support Southend, I’m from the area and one day I said I’d hopefully come back after getting released as a kid, and thankfully it’s happened."

As he alluded to, Holmes was involved in a behind closed doors game at the start of the week in which he provided an assist for Brandon Goodship to score.

The 33-year-old becomes Southend’s number 30 for the rest of the season and he said he can’t wait to get back playing once again.

"When you’re training you only really look forward to games as a footballer and until you’ve signed you can’t look forward to that.

"Now I’ve signed I can look forward to Saturday."

As well as playing for teams fighting for promotion, Holmes has also been involved in relegation battles during his career which he believes will help the squad.

"When I broke into the professional game from non-league I was in a Barnet team that were struggling at the wrong end of the table and we survived both times.

"So hopefully I can bring the experience, know-how and galvanise the group.

"The results have been good of late, so hopefully we can continue that and I can bring a lot to the team.”

Having previously been a thorn in the side when coming up against Blues, Holmes added it’ll be nice to now have a Southend shirt on and help the club for the remainder of the campaign.

"When you come back to your local club, especially the one that released you as a kid, you’ve always got a point to prove and I managed to do that a few times.

"Now that I’ve got the shirt on I’ll hopefully score a few goals and get the assists we need to start winning games."

Great signing!

Be interesting to know if MM thinks he has the legs to still play on the wing or if he looks to move him more central, perhaps behind the ST?

In a 4231 I do think he could easily play the central position of the three. But from his appearances in Nov/Dec for Northamption I don't think there is anything to suggest other than he can still do it out wide as well.

If he's anything like the player I've previously witnessed, a great signing. Wish him well.

Wearing number 30? Well, that means Miles Mitchell-Nelson won't be in MM's plans for the rest of the season then... Another youngster that seems to have gone backwards.

Anyway, a deal to the end of the season is best for both parties. Welcome Ricky, and I hope he's on the bench on Saturday to run at tired defenders after about 70 minutes.

Wearing number 30? Well, that means Miles Mitchell-Nelson won't be in MM's plans for the rest of the season then... Another youngster that seems to have gone backwards.

Anyway, a deal to the end of the season is best for both parties. Welcome Ricky, and I hope he's on the bench on Saturday to run at tired defenders after about 70 minutes.

I don't think it's a case of going backwards. The likes of MMN were thrown into the first team because we didn't have the players. Another year in the U23's will do him no harm at all

Best news i have had all week!! Welcome to Roots Hall Ricky, looking forward to seeing what you can do! Hopefully in the ground at some point!!

They'll be very tired having played last night.

I wonder why he didn’t take no.50? Oh hold up ?

Back