• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Holmes done deal

I have no idea, but we do seem to history in recent years, through signing players who had injuries, which limited their playing time with us?.
Its all beggars vs choosers stuff for us. Dubious personalities, temperament issues, injury problems, fitness problems, too young, too old, too expensive, too crap. Cant remember the last time we bought a player with no issues who was in their prime!

Just got to hope MM can pull this dirty dozen over the line.

Potentially a great signing for us. However, at his age he must be in decline, and, it remains to be seen how he will cope with advancing years.
Different players age at different speeds, and, decline can be very sudden. I think in his time with us Anton Ferdinand was a good example of this.
Ricky was a really a potent force at his peak was so even if now he is well short of his former standards he still should be able to be very effective at League 2 level.
He need not be a prolific goalscorer with us; even three or four before the end of the season would do us very nicely!
A contract to the end of the season makes sense and I think like many I believe this to really be a 'wow' signing for us!

Its all beggars vs choosers stuff for us. Dubious personalities, temperament issues, injury problems, fitness problems, too young, too old, too expensive, too crap. Cant remember the last time we bought a player with no issues who was in their prime!

Just got to hope MM can pull this dirty dozen over the line.
Probably Nathan Ferguson.

Potentially a great signing for us. However, at his age he must be in decline, and, it remains to be seen how he will cope with advancing years.
Different players age at different speeds, and, decline can be very sudden. I think in his time with us Anton Ferdinand was a good example of this.
Ricky was a really a potent force at his peak was so even if now he is well short of his former standards he still should be able to be very effective at League 2 level.
He need not be a prolific goalscorer with us; even three or four before the end of the season would do us very nicely!
A contract to the end of the season makes sense and I think like many I believe this to really be a 'wow' signing for us!

Spot on here

Ricky looks as fit as a flea in the picture but will be 34 in June and there is a clear loss in physical performance in players over 30. A study of 10,759 in La Liga found 2% less distance covered, less high intensity sprints or efforts and maximum speed decreased, across all positions.
Sports Science however has helped increase longevity in the game by close to two years over the past 2 decades due to better nutrition, physio, knowledge and training techniques
The deterioration though is much more dramatic in plus 35 year olds ,losing at worst up to 30% capacity

The good news and I hope for Ricky, is the evidence that players over 30 are better tactically and technically than their younger counterparts. There percentage passes is 3 to 5% better. Their decision making and game intelligence was found to be higher than younger players as well as co-ordinaton of movement within a game. They can apparently improve with less training due to brain and physical experience

Spot on here

Ricky looks as fit as a flea in the picture but will be 34 in June and there is a clear loss in physical performance in players over 30. A study of 10,759 in La Liga found 2% less distance covered, less high intensity sprints or efforts and maximum speed decreased, across all positions.
Sports Science however has helped increase longevity in the game by close to two years over the past 2 decades due to better nutrition, physio, knowledge and training techniques
The deterioration though is much more dramatic in plus 35 year olds ,losing at worst up to 30% capacity

The good news and I hope for Ricky, is the evidence that players over 30 are better tactically and technically than their younger counterparts. There percentage passes is 3 to 5% better. Their decision making and game intelligence was found to be higher than younger players as well as co-ordinaton of movement within a game. They can apparently improve with less training due to brain and physical experience

Plus 35....Does that mean 36 or include up to 40 and above?

Anyone who was fit at 30 and maintains it would not drop, apart from pace, 30% unless injuries have taken their toll.

Hope it works out well for us.
Undoubtedly a talented player but probably some fitness issues etc.
Time will tell.
Wish people would drop the “he’s a Southend fan” thing like it makes a difference to how he’ll perform.
I’m a Southend fan , but start me on Saturday and I’ll be blowing hard after 5 minutes and be a liability !

Spot on here

Which is why at our level in particular good teams are likely to be be a mix good experienced pros who have played at a higher level. Slotting people like Macca has not made us worse or easier to beat despite those stats- indeed the precise opposite.

Age is less of an issue than it was in the past. They all look after themselves a lot better, better diets, better training methods & so on. If they manage to avoid serious injury (i know this could be an issue with RH) and properly apply themselves then they don't really lose that much until they're 35 / 36 nowadays. Look at Ronaldo, he's about 47 now and still plays like a teenager!

Plus 35....Does that mean 36 or include up to 40 and above?

Anyone who was fit at 30 and maintains it would not drop, apart from pace, 30% unless injuries have taken their toll.

The research I guess would be an average and suggests reaching the age of 35 there’s a sharp decline . I would assume further deterioration normally as each year rolls by
However I think you are correct to highlight the exceptions and no doubt in the circumstances you describe maybe players like Mc C only lose 5 or 10% but I also wanted to highlight the other side of the coin and the benefits that an older experienced player brings as also highlighted in Kent Blues above reference to the usefulness of balance in this regard, especially in a League 2 scenario

Here’s a few exceptions
to the 35 and fecked rule......

Messi, Ronald, Benzema, Fernandinho, Modric, Silva, Milner, Ribery

Here’s a few exceptions
to the 35 and fecked rule......

Messi, Ronald, Benzema, Fernandinho, Modric, Silva, Milner, Ribery

But are they as good as they were? It's not 35 and fecked, it's 35 and, at worse, a 30% decline in performance from peak. If your peak was well above average, then even with some decline you can remain a good player

Dannie Bulman is still in the Crawley first team squad and he is 42! He has only played 6 games this season though. Overall he has played a hell of a lot of league games even in the last few seasons before this one. Kevin Ellison is another one who is still playing for Newport at the age of 41.

Back