• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Malcolm,

I terribly miss our morning chat and exchange of our favourite words !

In short life in Tilbury is just Bullocks without ....

You will always be on my mind

Love

Dear Zoners,

I have just learned that Harry's funeral has beenset for Friday 12th October at Southend Crematorium, with the service startingat 11.20am.

The procession will start at Roots Hall around10.50am, from just outside the Shrimpers Club in the main car park. Thiswill be the place that we will ask people to send any flowers to, and thefuneral car will collect the flowers from here. Cricko will speak to theclub tomorrow to find out how people can address the flowers to ensure theyarrive at the right place, and either he or I will post that information here.

For those of you who are attending the funeral,the wake following the service will take place in one of the bars at the club, which I think is the Far Post, but Cricko will confirm this tomorrow.

As most of you know Harry had virtually no family, so I am hoping that as his extended family, as many of you Shrimper Zoners as possible will be able to attend. Of course everyone understands that some of you will have other commitments, and will be there in spirit instead.

That said, and now we have a definitive date/time, I really need to get a fairly solid idea of numbers, both for catering purposes and for printing the Order of Service. I have see your poll where 26 of you have said you will be attending, but does this mean a total of 26, or 52 because it includes partners? Does this date now change things where some of you can now attend or some of you can't.

I'm not sure of the best way of getting this info to me, but if someone on here would like to take up this task, I would like to get numbers by Friday the 5th.

Finally, I have been asked to give a eulogy at the service which of course I will do. However, I've only known Malcolm for 7 years, and some of you have been close friends with Harry for 20, 30 even 40 years. Therefore after talking with his Aunt earlier today, she has asked me to ask if one of his long standing friends would also like to give a eulogy at the service. If someone would like to do this, can you please let me know by Friday (5th) latest.

Many thanks, Terry.

Dear Zoners,

For anyone wishing to send flowers, they should be sent to:

Sharon Munro
c/o the Far Post Bar
Southend United Football Club
etc.

For those of you outside of Southend, Please find below details of some local florists.

Fiori Florist – Tel: 01702 600829
Flowers Same Day – Tel: 01702 866016
Meades Florists – Tel: 01702 348884

It is important that you tell the florist that flowers must be delivered between 09.30 and 10.30 of 12[SUP]th[/SUP] October.

Dear Zoners,

It has taken a long-time for me to able to put in writing the shock and utter dismay that I feel regarding the news about the untimely death of Malcolm. I worked with Malcolm whilst at LV Shipping in Rainham/Tilbury until I left LV about six years ago and when I left we used to still keep in touch and e-mail about cricket and football. As a fan of Ipswich I often used to chuckle when, on a Monday morning, Malcolm would e-mail me and give me some witty comment about Town or how Southend had done over the weekend. I was luckily enough to go to a couple of games with Malcolm when they played Ipswich at Roots Hall and as an away fan I have never been made to feel more welcome and encouraged to not hide my Ipswich scarf when sitting with him. Malcolm always used to say - your with me as my guest and I know most sitting around me so you will be safe - especially if we are beating you!

I actually employed Malcolm at LV Shipping and remember his interview well, even after all these years. I am a lot younger than Malcolm was and I have never laughed so much during an interview and especially when his comment of "I have forgotten more about shipping than you currently know yourself". We spent the hour talking more about our love of sport and football and by the end of the interview I had no choice but to give him the job. He was a true gentleman and excellent colleague, when Malcolm dished out the "hairdryer treatment to a supplier" you could do nothing more than sit there being glad you were not at the end of it and wondering where it came from as Malcolm normally was a very calm and relaxed colleague who you could rely on when you had your head in your hands, running around, wondering how on earth you were going to solve the problem in hand.

Malcolm lived and breathed Southend FC and whilst he did not have much family around him - I know that you were his family and reading in tears at the 18 pages of comments that you have all wrote I know that his family loved and respected him too.

As well as Southend he loved a beer, a curry, a laugh and never took himself too seriously. A genuine nice person to be around and a great man to have around when you needed an answer to a quiz question.

I shall miss him dearly and still expected the e-mail this morning laughing at Ipswich's current form and commenting on Southends result.

RIP Malcolm - I am privileged and honoured to have known you. Heaven sure has more football knowledge now that you are there.

Craig x

Lovely words there Craig, a summing up of Harry that many of us who knew him will relate to well :thumbsup:

Having only known Mal (Harry) for a short period of time, I can honestly say the office is not the same without him. His one liners, and comment of "there's a story that goes with that" is sady missed.
You always made my chuckle Mal, even when a tough day was had, and nothing was ever to much, you were always able to offer help and advice where you could.
Miss you mate:sad:

I was just coming across to see if there was any gossip on Ryan Hall when i saw this, i'm really shocked. Even with my limited contact with Harry, he always came across as a true gent.

I haven't posted on here in a long time but i'd like to offer my thoughts to all those who knew him better then me or just knew him at all.

RIP Harry

I was just coming across to see if there was any gossip on Ryan Hall when i saw this, i'm really shocked. Even with my limited contact with Harry, he always came across as a true gent.

I haven't posted on here in a long time but i'd like to offer my thoughts to all those who knew him better then me or just knew him at all.

RIP Harry

Welcome back Gareth and nicely said.

RIP Harry

Nice to see you back Gareth, and very well put.

Just thought about this thread having seen Cricko's 'Thoughts from an old fool' one ... and it reminded me of the the last time I saw H. It was coming up to a year ago now ... we played The Wombles on Easter Monday and we met up at The Spread before and after the game. Harry always tried to meet up for a pint if possible and my recent years of supporting the team were always enhanced by the rendezvous' I had with him. I've only been able to get to one home game since - and coming back through Benfleet station was particularly uncomfortable - but the game I'm really thinking of is next week. I know that I'd have met up with H then but I am so sad that he won't be there in person. I really loved the tribute to H (and Martin Cranmer, Homer and Keith Summers) in the recent 'All At Sea' fanzine reportage of the 2nd leg of the Southern Final and I know for sure that I'll be thinking of our great friend next Sunday. Cherish your friends - they're such a big part of who we are and sometimes they're exactly who we need to remind us of our kith and kin. Missing you, old son. And it's your round too.

What a lovely post Shrimpero.
As you so rightly say cherish friends and family and live for each moment.
I know I will be raising a glass and reliving memories of those you mentioned and all the other Shrimper family no longer with us who will be watching from their seats above next Sunday.

maybe we should start a thread!! now,about our mates ,family.players&staff who we are no longer with us for the final.they would have been next to us,supporting us,laughing with us,but we should remember them ,final day,true blues past.

Don't know if the suggestion to invite Harry's boss, Malcolm, who gave such a fantastic eulogy came to anything....Cricko?

It does not seem a year ago that you left us Harry .I still kick mt self that I missed you by 2 mins at Jaffas birthday drink at the Carlton two days before you went to the big terrace in the sky .Ican just imagine you organising a football team of old Leigh Comm now your with Bob Jennings. John Welham .Al Vincent .John Wheatley .Dick Hughes and Olley although you have been joined by Crust in the last week or so . You could call yourself The Southend White Coats after that day at Gillingham over 40 years ago .All said and done Harry you were one of the nice guys in life who never had a bad word for anyone unless you were a Colchester inbred .God Bless you Harry and all the others RIP

Back