• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron in court.

Hmmm! Looks like the guy I played golf with a few weeks ago may have been right in his assessment of Ron. For anyone that didn’t see my post it was on 12th September in the ‘Have you faith in Phil Brown’ thread. Also, perhaps we now know why Ron inferred he might not be here next year in the Zoom meeting on 7th October.

The goings on at our club are like the script of a bloody soap opera. All I want is to support my team, see them win a few matches, draw a few matches and even lose a few matches without all the sideshow dramas attached, but it seems to be too much to ask for these days.

Would conviction lead to disqualification? And what would that mean for realising his FF nest egg?

Too many ‘experts’ on here and not enough experts. I’ve only seen one post in this entire thread talking about possible implications IF FOUND GUILTY in a court other than this Kangaroo one.

I honestly get the feeling that if RM was in a lake drowning some of the posters on here would stand on him rather than help him. I really despair at some aspects of the world and social media today.

On a more light hearted note there’s still enough material to make a film which is precisely why Daniel Craig has given up the Bond role

Apparently----(and my mum told me this)..............you had to go up to this person ,tap him/her on the shoulder and say the immortal words
"You are Lobby Ludd " and I claim my £5 "
Such fun !!
If you were right you got £5 (not a little amount in the day)
If you were wrong you possibly got a smack in the mouth!!!
Some of you from my over-70 age group may remember a TV advertisement campaign for Tide washing powder where you could get £5 for showing a bloke dressed head-to-toe in white, called 'The White Tide Man', that you had a packet of Tide washing powder.

Would conviction lead to disqualification? And what would that mean for realising his FF nest egg?
I would suggest that conviction, should it come to that, would be some time in the future.
Perhaps the question to be asked is will Southend still exist if and when the case is finally resolved in the courts. (If he is convicted and it goes to appeal we might be talking five years from now).
He has had severe cash flow problems in recent years. Could these reoccur, and, if they did, would the situation he finds himself in, make it harder for him to come up with the readies at the last minute as he has previously always been able to?
Will the recent council vote allowing his development to go ahead give him sufficient financial security to allow him to weather any potential business setbacks that might be flow on as a result of his court appearance?
Of course, we can be sure that Ron's business interests are on a firm footing and hopefully the potential fall out from all this will be limited. There have been instances in the past where a 'tycoon' may have been over extended, or, the foundations of his business interests were not that sound, and, it all came crashing down following a setback of the kind that Ron has just experienced. That was others and I am sure would not apply to RM!
I think what might take place in the next six to twelve months is of more immediate concern to the Football Club than any consequences that might flow from a conviction that, should it happen, is years away from taking place.
It should be added that the legal fees in cases of this nature that seemingly go on for ever would be ruinous for the likes of you and me. Even if Ron can afford them it will lighten his pocket considerably. (And, unlike the VAT man he would be wise to pay on time!)

Last edited:
Anton johnson stole almost every penny from the club And the supporters christmas money .And he seved time in hns prison .But the club did not fold .And i guess nor will it this time . And if and when the ground goes ahead i doubt MR Martin is going to rich quick .

This has taken all the wind out of my sails this week too be honest. Been pretty terrible…
  • the Dagenham loss
  • Stan not agreeing the deal as exepected
  • Then Stan going dark for a while severing that communication
  • Ron’s court revelavtions
Was feeling very positive last Friday with the new direction the club was seemingly heading. Even the ground getting voted through feels pointless now.

You have to think this is going to hinder any rebuilding attempts that may have been planned but more importantly what are the long term implications here?

Also, and this won’t get a lot of support, but I feel really quite sorry for Ron in a lot of ways. It’s obvious he’s given a large part of his life to Southend United whatever you think of him. We’ve had good times and bad times under him and he does usually come up with the good just about, when needed.

Recently he looks a beaten and ill man and surely on a humane level, nobody actually wishes him or his family any harm.

The threat of a possible long custodial sentence hanging over anyone must be awful with the stress and worry it puts on you. So yea, I’m worried about our very existence over the next few years again after finally feeling a bit of positivity for the first time in ages last week.

If he is guilty then I know it’s hard to feel sorry for him and he’ll have to serve his sentence whatever that is. But just part of me feels sad for the time and money he’s put in with the pot of gold at the end to potentially end up with nothing.

I would like to think the club will put out a statement, ideally from Ron maybe Tom just to reassure that whatever is going on won’t have any affect on the club, transfer budget and the stadium, because it feels we’ve gone 1 step forward and then 3 back this last 7 days :(

Back