• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ron martins statement about barnard. thought?

Have you heard that to be true? I would be extremely disappointed if that is the case as we can hardly afford to be haemorrhaging more players at this stage of the season, whatever people may think of them.

I particularly rate Baldwin and think he has a key role to play at the heart of our defence if we are to stand any chance of staying up, particularly with the transfer embargo showing now signs of being lifted any time soon. :'(

It is widely know/reported in and around the U's about the comments last night (although they are seemingly incorrectly being attributed to Ron Martin) - The "evidence" of what was actually said is also available by this site (amongst others). I do know that at least one club official has been viewing the comments and they have been/are being passed to Robbie Cowling

I think the rest is speculation to a point, although it is know Robbie was angry about late payments last time and it was Aidy that pushed for these loans to go through. He is also voilatile and won't take kindly to Ron making a public comment about Col U's business plan.

Coupled with the current injuries we've had my personal view is that it's likely they will be recalled but obviously (and on a public message board) I'm not in a position to be able to confirm what the official view.

I dont think its disgraceful

First people want a chairman who cares about what goes on on the pitch, someone who does give a chit about the footballing side of things, a fan like you and i...

however, the moment Ron has an opinion about a player, like any fan would, he should shut up....

you cant have it both ways!

With his track record, knocking people is the last thing that he should do. Ron titanic Martin should stick to what Chairman do or at least get some advice on how to do it properly!

He is also voilatile and won't take kindly to Ron making a public comment about Col U's business plan.

If he listen to the bit on Col U business plans I don't think he will be offended, especially if the context is given

Context--- In Ron's opinion to be in the championship year after year and to stand on your own two feet you need a 20,000 stadium - Col U do not have this. Therefore COl U can not survive as a Championship club without the owner continuely putting his hand in his pocket.

Ok- it was said in such a way to make Southend fans happy , but this is effectively what he said

Last edited by a moderator:
He is also voilatile and won't take kindly to Ron making a public comment about Col U's business plan.

If he listen to the bit on Col U business plans I don't think he will be offended, especially if the context is given

Context--- In Ron's opinion to be in the championship year after year and to stand on your own two feet you need a 20,000 stadium - Col U do not have this. Therefore COl U can not survive as a Championship club without the owner continuely putting his hand in his pocket.

Ok- it was said in such a way to make Southend fans happy , but this is effectively what he said

You may well be right but it does beg the question why he felt the need to mention the U's at all (other than to afford a chip dig to appease your fans in some way?)

And for the record - he's actually wrong - I am pretty confident that in the new stadium we need crowds of around 8,500-9,000 to break even which we'd almost certainly acheive in the Championship - plus the additional sponsorship/advertising and TV money for being in a higher division would make balancing the books considerably easier.

You may well be right but it does beg the question why he felt the need to mention the U's at all (other than to afford a chip dig to appease your fans in some way?)

And for the record - he's actually wrong - I am pretty confident that in the new stadium we need crowds of around 8,500-9,000 to break even which we'd almost certainly acheive in the Championship - plus the additional sponsorship/advertising and TV money for being in a higher division would make balancing the books considerably easier.

I don't remember Col U getting crowds anywhere near that in the two seasons you spent up there. You mention TV money etc but what about the parachute payments given to relegated premier league teams? Your eight and a half thousand (if you get it) wont keep you going in the second tier for long.

Our 8,500-9,000 average gates didn't appear to be enough in the Championship the other year so how will that work for you?

Our 8,500-9,000 average gates didn't appear to be enough in the Championship the other year so how will that work for you?

The effect of the new stadium income generation is massive - Corporate rental for each box generates a very good revenue stream, the utlisation rate should we ever get back into the championship would be 90%+ and that alone would generate something like £350k.

We already benefit from the hire of conference facilites on a daily basis, astroturf pitch hire, more sponsorship opportunies, naming of the stadium/stands. Better contracts for concessions - bigger and better club retail outlet.

Bear in mind that we have no debt to service (our Chairman has put his own money in via share issues to himself) and the rent we pay on the "Airfix" to the council is reasonable.

I can't answer why you couldn't make a profit/break even with your gates of 9000k in the Championship - perhaps another question for Ron (although in fairness it would appear that the planning/legal battle for FF must be taking a fair chunk of change from somewhere). But I do KNOW that we could break in even in the Championship with the same size gates. (although once in the Championship we would apply to extend stadium size which can be increased to 18k capacity fairly cheaply to take advantage of increased away attendances).

I don't remember Col U getting crowds anywhere near that in the two seasons you spent up there. You mention TV money etc but what about the parachute payments given to relegated premier league teams? Your eight and a half thousand (if you get it) wont keep you going in the second tier for long.

Very true but we were still at Layer Road then with a capacity of 6100 and it was full for pretty much every game in the first season and all bar 2 or 3 in the second season (from memory so forgive me if I am slighty out).

Layer Rd would never have allowed us to be sustainable in the Championship - non-match day revenue was all but non-existent and that plays a massive part in any clubs finances nowadays

With his track record, knocking people is the last thing that he should do. Ron titanic Martin should stick to what Chairman do or at least get some advice on how to do it properly!

Explain ... I don't remember him talking about our players. He didn't talk about Barnard, as others on here have said!

The effect of the new stadium income generation is massive - Corporate rental for each box generates a very good revenue stream, the utlisation rate should we ever get back into the championship would be 90%+ and that alone would generate something like £350k.

We already benefit from the hire of conference facilites on a daily basis, astroturf pitch hire, more sponsorship opportunies, naming of the stadium/stands. Better contracts for concessions - bigger and better club retail outlet.

Bear in mind that we have no debt to service (our Chairman has put his own money in via share issues to himself) and the rent we pay on the "Airfix" to the council is reasonable.

I can't answer why you couldn't make a profit/break even with your gates of 9000k in the Championship - perhaps another question for Ron (although in fairness it would appear that the planning/legal battle for FF must be taking a fair chunk of change from somewhere). But I do KNOW that we could break in even in the Championship with the same size gates. (although once in the Championship we would apply to extend stadium size which can be increased to 18k capacity fairly cheaply to take advantage of increased away attendances).

I think we would have broken even on those gates, maybe even made a profit.

And for the record - he's actually wrong - I am pretty confident that in the new stadium we need crowds of around 8,500-9,000 to break even which we'd almost certainly acheive in the Championship - plus the additional sponsorship/advertising and TV money for being in a higher division would make balancing the books considerably easier.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute mate? You can't even get that many against local rivals.
This isn't a dig! ;)

Your owner has to continually put money in, it's descent for you, and aslong as you are doing aswell as you are you don't care that much! That is what Ron said, the idea is to make Southend United 'self efficient' to a degree anyway. The only way he said he would sell up is if an investor with multi multi multi million pounds came in.

I still can't believe how poor your gates are! I think its a disgrace and their should be a ruling denying the chance of promotion! Your support at Walsall the other day was ridiculous! But again..you know that!

I'm surprised you can attract these players you have! It just proves how many are in it for the money and not the passion.

Up The Blues, Go down the Ewes ;)

I did post this but I wan't to know whats going on because nevereatwhitesnow seems to be able to do some weird stuff, I'm not really sure what's going on! maybe he has a 2nd personality ?

Wait a minute mate? You can't even get that many against local rivals.
This isn't a dig! ;)

Your owner has to continually put money in, it's descent for you, and aslong as you are doing aswell as you are you don't care that much! That is what Ron said, the idea is to make Southend United 'self efficient' to a degree anyway. The only way he said he would sell up is if an investor with multi multi multi million pounds came in.

I still can't believe how poor your gates are! I think its a disgrace and their should be a ruling denying the chance of promotion! Your support at Walsall the other day was ridiculous! But again..you know that!

I'm surprised you can attract these players you have! It just proves how many are in it for the money and not the passion.

Up The Blues, Go down the Ewes ;)

Nope we didn't get that many against you - it was on a Monday night and on TV (part of the reason that you only brought 1100??)

We have got 10k for Norwich, 8500k for Southampton, 7k+ for Charlton (can't be bothered to look up figures) so we are capable of getting the crowds but the Colchester public generally are poor at supporting their local team week in week out.

Disgrace? - possibly - certainly really frustrating for those of us that do turn up - the reality is that gates would jump massively with the "glory hunters" should we get promoted - not ideal but that's life for us I guess.

Part of the attraction for new players has been stadium, training facilities that are about to be built plus we've had two charismatic managers recently in Lambert and Boothroyd - but of course a massive factor is that we are able to offer good money thanks to our Chairman.

I've always maintained that our Chairman with your fanbase and location would be a very good combination. (not a dig a Ron but Cowling isn't in football to make any money- Ron quite reasonably is looking to make some serious money from your new stadium development)

Sorry all - have no idea why it looks like I am replying/quoting myself but it's not intentional - I am just pressing the "quote" button each time -

Apologies again anyway.

Very true but we were still at Layer Road then with a capacity of 6100 and it was full for pretty much every game in the first season and all bar 2 or 3 in the second season (from memory so forgive me if I am slighty out).

Layer Rd would never have allowed us to be sustainable in the Championship - non-match day revenue was all but non-existent and that plays a massive part in any clubs finances nowadays

Fair point made about Layer Road and a slap for me for being a bit stupid there. However, by all accounts you have had a very decent season up to now so I ask you and please accept this is not a wind up in anyway (leave that to the two Colchester penis's on 606) where is your support ?

Nope we didn't get that many against you - it was on a Monday night and on TV (part of the reason that you only brought 1100??)

We have got 10k for Norwich, 8500k for Southampton, 7k+ for Charlton (can't be bothered to look up figures) so we are capable of getting the crowds but the Colchester public generally are poor at supporting their local team week in week out.

Disgrace? - possibly - certainly really frustrating for those of us that do turn up - the reality is that gates would jump massively with the "glory hunters" should we get promoted - not ideal but that's life for us I guess.

Part of the attraction for new players has been stadium, training facilities that are about to be built plus we've had two charismatic managers recently in Lambert and Boothroyd - but of course a massive factor is that we are able to offer good money thanks to our Chairman.

I've always maintained that our Chairman with your fanbase and location would be a very good combination. (not a dig a Ron but Cowling isn't in football to make any money- Ron quite reasonably is looking to make some serious money from your new stadium development)

Don't know what happens when you quote mate, but it does some really weird stuff.

Fair play to all your comments! As you are a regular i assume you are anyway, you must be really ****ed off at the support you get! You can get descent gates, and I'm just winding you up if i'm honest! You can have a dig at Ron all you like, he is definitely going to make some descent bucks, aswell as showing interest in the club, he has been here 12 years ( i learnt that last night) and he does say he loves it! So fair play to him!

UTB

Fair point made about Layer Road and a slap for me for being a bit stupid there. However, by all accounts you have had a very decent season up to now so I ask you and please accept this is not a wind up in anyway (leave that to the two Colchester penis's on 606) where is your support ?

Home form has been really good for us this season (only lost twice - Norwich and Leeds) so no excuse for support in terms of results.

Our attendance are shocking for mid-week games in particular though - we can put a significant part of that down to parents not bringing kids and in fairness the journey out of the stadium area isn't great- looking out how empty the family enclosure is for evening games I'd say we are losing a good 600-700 in that area alone.

The only other genuine factor is the low numbers of ST holders - pricing structure didn't help but in reality people didn't bother buying because they knew getting tickets on a match by match basis would be easy enough (too true!!). A lot therefore just pick and choose matches and it's easy enough to say on a cold Tuesday night against Yeovil that they can't be bothered - if they had a ST they'd be more inclined to turn up! - This has proven to be true at a lot of clubs who've moved to a stadium with a much larger capacity than they are used to.

Whatever way we look at it, we are just poorly supported most of the time but frustratingly there are enough people with at least a passing interest to fill the place for a big game (or hopefully if we do get promoted)

Back