• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks- appointment expected this week.

Update on new manager coming this evening according to CP....
What does that mean , the new manager will be ann
This has turned farcical now.

- Campbell has been gone for 37 days & still we have no replacement

- We are 37 days away from the start of the new season

- We have a grand total of zero pre-season friendlies lined up

- We have several first team players trying to get out of the club, and have a handful of clubs circling our better players

- We have no manager to identify new targets, mould the team in his image or instill his way of playing.

- No news on the season ticket side of things, meaning desperately needed cashflow isn’t coming into the club, further making it difficult to plan for much needed signings

Currie, Fagan, Tilson, Maher, Barrett, this geezer from Weymouth... who cares at this point?

They’re all in the same boat. They all have limited experience. They all want to prove themselves. Whoever gets the nod, will be seen as the wrong choice by some, and will inevitably lose the patience of some fans when we start losing a few games.

And worse still, some of our fans are actually expecting us to be chasing promotion this season. They will be the first people calling for the head of <insert ANY name of potential manager here> when we get rolled over 2-0 at home to Harrogate. Whoever we appoint is already fighting a losing battle in essence.

The job should have been given to Fagan weeks ago, which would have given us some kind of continuity, and more importantly, a solid footing for moving the club forward.

As it stands, we are bang in trouble. If someone offered me 22nd place in Lg2 right now, I’d rip their arm off.
This is why we love and follow Southend United .

- We have several first team players trying to get out of the club, and have a handful of clubs circling our better players

- We have no manager to identify new targets, mould the team in his image or instill his way of playing.

- No news on the season ticket side of things, meaning desperately needed cashflow isn’t coming into the club, further making it difficult to plan for much needed signings

Currie, Fagan, Tilson, Maher, Barrett, this geezer from Weymouth... who cares at this point?

They’re all in the same boat. They all have limited experience. They all want to prove themselves. Whoever gets the nod, will be seen as the wrong choice by some, and will inevitably lose the patience of some fans when we start losing a few games.

And worse still, some of our fans are actually expecting us to be chasing promotion this season. They will be the first people calling for the head of <insert ANY name of potential manager here> when we get rolled over 2-0 at home to Harrogate. Whoever we appoint is already fighting a losing battle in essence.

The job should have been given to Fagan weeks ago, which would have given us some kind of continuity, and more importantly, a solid footing for moving the club forward.

As it stands, we are bang in trouble. If someone offered me 22nd place in Lg2 right now, I’d rip their arm off.
This sums up our situation so eloquently.

Am I the only one that doesn’t take Ron’s cryptic message to mean they’re called “Mark”? I took it to mean that perhaps it isn’t Currie after all.

Yes, possibly reading too much into the comment, although sounds likely to be someone not heavily linked with the job.

Am I the only one that doesn’t take Ron’s cryptic message to mean they’re called “Mark”? I took it to mean that perhaps it isn’t Currie after all.

I don't know if Ron spoke to CP or it was a written statement sent to CP. If Ron spoke to CP maybe he put particular emphasis on MARK. It does seem a bit of a leap if not

I don't know if Ron spoke to CP or it was a written statement sent to CP. If Ron spoke to CP maybe he put particular emphasis on MARK. It does seem a bit of a leap if not

At least it's given us something else to talk about !

I do not know if it is lack of resources or lack of confidence in his own judgement but the Chairman does not seem to know what he wants and is too easily influenced by his footballing mates in the south-west of the country. GBJ is absolutely right. The job should have been given to Craig Fagan weeks ago and had Fagan been appointed the club would not be in the current mess that it is now. As it is, Southend probably lose Fagan and he will go on to a successful managerial career elsewhere.

Last edited:
Chris Phillips said last week, that there were three men in the running for the job. Currie, Fagan & Tilson.

Chris gets his info directly from Ron, so I don’t believe this cryptic **** about someone called Mark. The talk about Ron waiting on references, is also just flannel.

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that Currie has been offered the job, and has either blown us out, or is stalling whilst he sums up his options.

Utter madness, considering we have another one of those candidates (who just happens to be currently taking training ffs), who actually wants the job.

Within reason it would appear Fagan will take the job whenever we ask, to me it doesn't seem such a stretch that RM will literally exhaust all other avenues before choosing him therefore. It's not the choice of approach I would make but I'm not multiple years of pumping my own money into a company to have created that headspace. I can't help but think Currie has multiple options or is also playing the long game negotiation wise. With all that said Phil Brown will probably be announced tomorrow after all this....

Chris Phillips said last week, that there were three men in the running for the job. Currie, Fagan & Tilson.

Chris gets his info directly from Ron, so I don’t believe this cryptic **** about someone called Mark. The talk about Ron waiting on references, is also just flannel.

If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say that Currie has been offered the job, and has either blown us out, or is stalling whilst he sums up his options.

Utter madness, considering we have another one of those candidates (who just happens to be currently taking training ffs), who actually wants the job.

GBJ, I think your analysis is close to the mark (sorry about the weak humour)

And you cannot blame Darren Currie for stalling because Southend is under an embargo. In that case, the Chairman should appoint someone who is still able and willing to do the job.

I think Darren Moore was right. Given the current plight of the club, the person who should be appointed is a no-brainer.

Within reason it would appear Fagan will take the job whenever we ask, to me it doesn't seem such a stretch that RM will literally exhaust all other avenues before choosing him

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem...Ron is failing to learn from his mistakes (no surprise there)

We went through this last time, and ended up being lumbered with that **** Campbell.

Also, in Ron’s statement at the very start of this thread, he said he wanted someone who will dedicate themselves to the job and the club....

Craig Fagan comes in on his days off, to do extra work with the players who want it. He was also doing analysis work for the players last season - a job that Herman Hreidarrson was supposed to do - and on top of that, he goes and watches the kids play on a Sunday.

I ****ing hope to God that Currie brings that amount of dedication to the job, because otherwise it looks like it’s just another yarn being spun by Ron.

GBJ, I think your analysis is close to the mark (sorry about the weak humour)

And you cannot blame Darren Currie for stalling because Southend is under an embargo. In that case, the Chairman should appoint someone who is still able and willing to do the job.

I think Darren Moore was right. Given the current plight of the club, the person who should be appointed is a no-brainer.

Absolutely spot on. I hold nothing against Currie for weighing up his options. This isn’t his fault.

The embargo, the possible points deduction, the risk of wages not being paid on time, the lack of funds, the short amount of time to prepare for the new season, the need to add several bodies to an already depleted squad that is bound to lose even more yet!

When you think of it like that, you’ve got to ask yourself what kind of nutcase would actually want the job, so I don’t blame Currie for taking his time at all.

BUT, here we are, 37 days before the season starts, and the man who would love to lead our club, the man who is currently taking training, the man who just happens to fit Ron’s criteria, isn’t the number one choice? Haha we’re such a joke club at times.

Anybody but Brown.

Back