• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks- appointment expected this week.

Erm he getting Colin Calderwood in as number 2, as he have tons of experience ?
Sure, he has lots of coaching experience at higher levels, but did not do well as a manager any higher than League 2. Someone like Brown who, let's not forget, took a mid table budget Hull side to the Premier, could be a very good resource to have on a consultancy basis if it were possible - plus an outside view vs your formal assistant - two interesting different perspectives for anyone running a team.

That's fair enough, we might need slightly longer than normal (though you would hope players have not spent the summer out on the lash given COVID), however with the other clubs in L1 and L2 I keep an eye on, most of them have reported back at some point last week - and there are a few who are still on break. Plymouth are the only ones I can remember reporting back a week earlier but I'm happy to hear more.

As I said, most have. Sure there will be a few stragglers like us, but for the most part we’re already behind.

Whilst that may all be true a drawn out appointment process gives any manager applying for the vacancy that much more time to prepare schedules, training plans, individual player programmes and of course recruitment. They should be much better prepared than most new managers will be.

It is true, as you know.

And sure, the new man will hopefully have all this planned out already, but it doesn’t change the fact that it should have been implemented weeks ago

Why not give the job to calderwood then?

Despite the fact that he's had promotion from both League 2 and 1, he's arguably been most successful as assistant to Chris Hughton, a manager who is clearly a clever bloke. If he rates him as an assistant then I'd be happy to have him in that role here. In the last 10 years he's spent longer as an assistant and done pretty well by all accounts.

As I said, most have. Sure there will be a few stragglers like us, but for the most part we’re already behind.
Not trying to be antagonistic - you post a lot of good stuff - but I think it's not correct to say we are 1-2 weeks behind the majority. Just as a quick alphabetical sample - on average I would say we are 4-5 days behind.

Our date: 5th Aug

Other League Two clubs:

Bradford 31 Jul
Cambridge 1 Aug
Col U 3rd Aug
Carlisle 29 Jul
Cheltenham 2 Aug
Crawley 1 Aug
Crewe 24 July (ok yes - lagging behind them!)
Exeter 6th? Aug
Forest Green 31 July

Edit: Cocked up our date!

Whilst that may all be true a drawn out appointment process gives any manager applying for the vacancy that much more time to prepare schedules, training plans, individual player programmes and of course recruitment. They should be much better prepared than most new managers will be.

only if he knows exactly what he’s working with and for how long.

a schedules not that useful if the time span is a third less than you thought it would be and a player programme is no use if that player leaves or doesnt / cant join

Not trying to be antagonistic - you post a lot of good stuff - but I think it's not correct to say we are 1-2 weeks behind the majority. Just as a quick alphabetical sample - on average I would say we are 2-3 days behind.

Our date: 3rd Aug

Other League Two clubs:

Bradford 31 Jul
Cambridge 1 Aug
Col U 3rd Aug
Carlisle 29 Jul
Cheltenham 2 Aug
Crawley 1 Aug
Crewe 24 July (ok yes - lagging behind them!)
Exeter 6th? Aug
Forest Green 31 July

That all depends on where they were when they returned. If they were all tested and cleared and had carried out phase 1 separately then they may already be in contact / larger group training by the time those dates arose

That all depends on where they were when they returned. If they were all tested and cleared and had carried out phase 1 separately then they may already be in contact / larger group training by the time those dates arose
Well I did screw up our date by two days in the quoted post so sorry for that, but the dates I found are a mixture of "returns for covid tests" and "returns for fitness tests" so there could be a bit of error on both sides.

I've also heard that players are reporting back fitter than they usually do.
Certainly hope so .....Once had a long chat with PB who couldn't empathise enough that a proper pre season had a huge part to play with a player lasting fitness wise in the latter part of the season,and also in respect of injuries.Given the number of injury problems we had in the last couple of years let's just hope that those extra couple of weeks missed don't affect us

Certainly hope so .....Once had a long chat with PB who couldn't empathise enough that a proper pre season had a huge part to play with a player lasting fitness wise in the latter part of the season,and also in respect of injuries.Given the number of injury problems we had in the last couple of years let's just hope that those extra couple of weeks missed don't affect us
One thing nobody could ever accuse PB of was putting out an unfit side.

This implies that nobody has pulled out and said no, as some have suggested may have happened with Currie. Perhaps Ron is planning some Hunger Games style tournament between the final three in Adventure Island.

Or maybe he gives them all a few quid and lets them loose in Tesco to see who can buy the best weekly shop for the least money.

Back